Bordeaux 2023

23 is not an abundant vintage. It varies from about normal to 35% less. There is less Merlot than usual due to mildew attacks.

Interesting, I was told it was by a very large negociant.

the same one who told you it was a really strong vintage? :wink:

Two different ones said the quality was good!

Like I said, I’ll be there, and I’ll report back.

1 Like

I heard that it was solid rather than great.

1 Like

Now that I’ve tasted about 100 wines so far, and visited several properties, with more to come, a more accurate response is that in the Left Bank, several vineyards have lower than average yields. In the Right Bank, limestone terroirs have good, or slightly better than normal yields.

3 Likes

I will just wait until William’s report.

Given the exuberance that is usually used, ‘solid’ means below average?

1 Like

More clarification on this, that day I wrote, I was in Margaux. Margaux has lower yields than the other appellations . Overall it’s a good harvest

1 Like

Just received some mail from yet another german ITB guy

• price at 2019 levels, 20-40% below last few years
  • volumes massively above the 2022 vintage
  • early drinkability expected (aka so-so vintage?)
3 Likes

2019 is an early drinkability vintage too…

After tasting a lot of wine, 2023 has some very good wines. I like the style and so will a lot of you.

As for the market, and the campaign, my guess is, it will be an early and fast campaign with many of the big wines coming out early. As of today, prices will drop, as most chateaux realize they need to inspire the market. Owners recognize market conditions and interest rates.

5 Likes

Can’t you say that in every vintage?

Yes, but that’s a bit out of context. You left out part of what I said, changing the meaning. And the thrust of the post was about pricing and timing, and what to expect.

3 Likes

A couple of questions Jeff on your tasting experience.

You have tasted from samples air freighter to California and also tasted samples in Bordeaux taken from barrels the previous day. Is there a significant difference in terms of freshness and ease of tasting between the two?

Also, Primeur tastings used to be done towards the middle or end of March. I always thought it was too early and did not take into account the problems of wines having just been racked. Did anybody give a reason why the tastings are later?

2 Likes

No. Below average to bad vintages are called “classical styled”.

2 Likes

Any Sauternes / Barsac insight ?

The official tastings were for the last several decades always in the first week in April. They are now the last week in April. Better weather, less chance of rain on the guests. Warner mornings, and at this state, samples change daily, do the extra few weeks adds more character to the wines.

Good question. They are a bit more fresher in person. Though that varied as some samples shipped were better than others. It’s about the pull and perpetration to avoid oxidation.

And not all samples are at the property, they can be at negociants or consultants.

On the other hand, at home, I was able to contrast and compare, something that doesn’t happen ad often. Also, at home I had uniform conditions, same temperatures, same glasses. But overall samples are better here.

That bring said, most of the time, the differences were minor. It really was an amazing achievement to receive 1,000 samples all overnighted !

4 Likes