Bordeaux 2023

Which Costco has the best selection of 2023s now? I’m prepared to crisscross the country if needed.

1 Like

We’ve all been here before…

1 Like

If you live and work in France and are surprised by labor disputes and strikes, you should be guillotined.

It’s second only to football as a national sport. I even hear it’s gonna be a demonstration sport at this year’s Olympics.

1 Like

I thought it was whining!

No that is the British, the French strike the British just complain. Note I am British haha

1 Like

So for those wanting to get a feel for what it was like there is now a photo essay by yours truly live on TWI:

BORDEAUX HARVEST 2023

-Cheval Blanc

2 Likes

You forgot mentioning that the Chateaus invested millions in new cellar equipment so prices are surely to rise.

2 Likes

I was visiting last week and that is spot on. The good thing is that it mildew won’t effect quality, just quantity.

The grapes looked good where I saw them. The few visits I did, they were more calling it a “classic” vintage and were liking what they saw, but not a blockbuster. We shall see what the hype train does by March

1 Like

Wonderful.

2 Likes

Keith promissed the hype train by March … where is it … its almost April …

@Robert.A.Jr even saw the coming of the ultimate vintage for yak palattes ™

But well, I guess it will be just the ususal best ever vintage and we‘ll probably be hitting prices beyond 2010 levels, finally /s

1 Like

En Primeur is the week of April 22nd. I’ll post notes when I can while I’m there.

2 Likes

german/swiss trade guys writing about possible 15-30% price reductions

their reasoning goes like

good volume season
asia/japan weak demand
USA slow on EP last few years
EU filled cellars with 2022s

We‘ll see soon enough, not holding my breath but won‘t complain if it happens

1 Like

Will believe it when I see it.

2 Likes

I was encouraged to express the need for a well priced vintage while I am there.

1 Like

Writing from Bordeaux… Anybody that says they know what will happen knows less than the people saying they have no idea. A lot can transpire between now and May/June. You could have frost or mildew that hurts 2024. Better, or worse economic news, etc,.

I’d phrase it differently - I think that there would have to be a price reduction for anyone to think that the prices available during EP will be lower than the prices available twelve to eighteen months later.

I’m hearing from merchants consistent things as well, and from people in the trade Bordeaux side. Broadly expecting prices to be released in line with 2019 secondary market (except Angelus and Pavie no doubt). Currently understanding th overall wine quality to be inferior to 2019, though, so I dont plan to buy anything this vintage, currently.

1 Like

That’s not what I heard about the quality.

The issue is the volume. It was apparently a very abundant vintage. That’s why there seems to be the downward pressure on pricing (less so about the last few vintages)

1 Like

Was a comment I’d heard from someone in the business in Bordeaux. We will see what reality is.

Abundance, full cellars and a fair amount of inventory now costing more than twice as much to hold than before. I have not heard the usual mutterings that 2023 is likely to be the vintage of the century, so it makes sense that prices need to come down.

1 Like