Best Source for Cremant de Alsace?

I am doing a little “research” on sparkling wine styles. I am particularly interested in the blended style that includes some of most of these: Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, Chardonnay & Riesling. Suggestions on specific bottles and where to purchase greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

It’s not what you are looking for, but the NV Lucien Albrecht Crémant d’Alsace Brut Rosé is 100% Pinot Noir, less than $20, and absolutely great with a couple of years of age on it.

• NV Lucien Albrecht Crémant d’Alsace Brut Rosé - France, Alsace, Crémant d’Alsace (3/20/2010)
    100% Pinot Noir. Fantastic value at $17. Fresh strawberry nose. Aggressive sparkle. Clean palate. Slate finish. Absolutely perfect for what it is. (90 pts.)
  • NV Lucien Albrecht Crémant d’Alsace Brut Rosé - France, Alsace, Crémant d’Alsace (5/28/2011)
    My second ever Sabrage. I used the back of a too-sharp cleaver. Piece of cake. So fun. And the wine? 100% Pinot. Such strawberry and cream and salt and mineral. Is there a better $20 sparkling wine on the planet? This stuff is not complex but stunningly clean and pure. I really need a lot of this in the cellar. So pretty!

Posted from CellarTracker

Sparr makes a nice Brut and Rose.

I am a regular buyer of this and the blanc. $15.99 at winex. Tough to beat.

Jason

As Eric and Jason say, that wine completely over delivers. Always.

I recently bought a case of the very same Lucien Albrecht Cremant d’Alsace! We had it at Black Cat Bistro in Boulder and it was delicious.

Byron

Albert Mann

Meyer-Fonne. Kermit Lynch imports. Superb stuff for about $20.

Disclaimer: I sell it.

For many years I’ve been buying the Barmes-Buecher version…often by the case. It ages nicely, too.

Disclaimer: I don’t sell any wine. And, if I did, I wouldn’t be touting stuff that I sell, on wine boards, even with an ostensible disclaimer.

That would be a great way for people in the business to contribute a heck of a lot less around here. Heck, why don’t we ban anyone who is ITB? That way we can keep everything nice and pure.

Although your Swift radical proposal would work, of course, a more “modest proposal” would be to have people not promote or comment on products they sell or on those that compete with products they sell. Period. Their credibility and the integrity of the information available to the rest of us would be stronger as a result.

Which proposal would be the “best of all worlds” is an open question, I think. I come out on the side of only limited self-censorship.

Hardly a modest proposal. Contrary to your suggestion, this would pretty much preclude anyone in the business from commenting on any wine. Period.

I like Albert Boxler’s.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Even from those of you with a stake in products.

FWIW, if a broker/distributor speaks highly of a wine they sell, if they are well regarded in the industry, I give it some weight. They clearly liked the wine enough to invest some energy in the product because they believe in it.

On the other hand, if they are actively promoting crap here, they won’t be well regarded for long.

It makes sense to me that if a retailer likes a product and thinks it a good value, that he’d carry it.

I’ll add that I think Marcus in particular has always been very upfront whenever he carries a product. I respect both his integrity and his palate.

Precisely. A wine business is not built and/or maintained by recommending swill. I recommended the Meyer-Fonne to you because I see that you are in Northern California and thought that you might have a shot at getting some from Kermit Lynch or a local retailer who handles his wine. I don’t advertise or promote this wine anywhere. I sell it to a few local customers and drink it myself because I believe it to be very good. FWIW, Kermit also handles the Boxler which Paul has recommended, but I don’t believe that he has any available right now. Both it and the Meyer-Fonne go quickly. (Disclaimer: I also sell Boxler).

Who is Marcus? [scratch.gif]

Typo that I’ll blame on being distracted. I meant Martin. He previously recommended a Burg (2010 Domaine Pierre Guillemot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Gravains) that he sells and it was tasty and a good value. Limited sample size, but I’m willing to trust his recommendations.

Yep. I figured. I was not sure if you had been getting enough grief…

If everyone in the biz regards every other wine to be in competition with “products they sell”…then all the more reason to not have people “comment on or promote” products they sell or compete with. No idea whether such a view is a reality or textbook paranoia…but…either way if you’re right…this is tainted subject matter for people in the biz.

Having said that…I doubt most reasonable people selling Alsace wines look at red Burgundies-- or other regions’ wines-- as “the competition”, except in a fight for consumer dollars.