Best of South Africa Suggestions

Will be spending 3 weeks in South Africa and Botswana next year on a self driving safari. Will start in Johannesburg. Looking to familiarize myself with the best that South Africa has to offer so that I can make good choices when purchasing wine in Johannesburg before heading out on safari.

Any particular wineries or wines that have stood out?

1 Like

Zevenwacht Estate. The young winemaker is the son of a very good friend. I help get him an internship at Navarro and has gone on to become a rockstar in RSA. I was lucky enough to visit the winery before my safari in 2021.

2 Likes

I imagine the selection there will be much better than what is exported, but I have had great experiences with (notable favorites in brackets) Kanonkop (Paul Sauer), Mullineux, Meerlust (Rubicon), de Trafford (Straw Wine), Klein Constantia (Vin de Constance), Rustenberg (John X Merriman, Peter Barlow), Boekenhoutskloof (Semillon). Sadie’s Chenins are really fantastic but expensive. David & Nadia I’ve liked, too.

3 Likes

+1 on Kanonkop’s Paul Sauer and Sadie’s Chenins. At a lower price point, I’ve enjoyed De Morgenzon’s Reserve Chenins, especially with friends who are only semi-nerdy about wine.

1 Like

The below are small producers:
The Wine Thief
Anthonij Rupert.
La Bri

Not sure about any of their availability in Johannesburg though.

2 Likes

Will second Mullineux, Sadie Family, and David & Nadia.

Also enjoyed some of the wines from from the Cape (and particularly Hemel-en-Aarde) - Newton Johnson, Storm, Alheit.

2 Likes

Another thought is to look out for bottles from the Cape Winemakers Guild (basically the only bottles I saw that were over $100).

One other interesting project was Man & Soil. I’m not sure if it was a one-time thing or something that was repeated. The bottle I had was a partnership between Eben Sadie and another winemaker – they used the same terroir for the wine (selected the plots together, picked at the same time), then vinified separately. It was the only pinotage we had that I really liked. Off the list at Delaire Graff Estate.

1 Like

+1 on all of the above

Also Alheit. Excellent wines. Killer Chenin bottlings and Cartology, blend w Semillon.

1 Like

Used to like the Thelema cabs and cab blends quite a bit. Still have some 1990s bottles in the cellar, and they are drinking very well. Haven’t tried the wines in many years, though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming…

KL Wines has the David & Nadia Grenache, which look interesting.

I like Rust en Vrede, and have some coworkers who enjoy Meerlust but haven’t trie it myself.

If you like port and can find them, I recommend some of the vintage South African ports. They are interesting and (since 2012) can no longer be called port since there are not from Portugal. My biggest regret on my last trip was not grabbing some older bottles to bring home since they are near impossible to find outside of the country.

1 Like

Probably at least several dozen really good wineries worth visiting. A few to recommend (but many more);

AA Badenhorst
Hamilton Russell
Mullineaux
Sadie Family
Beeslar
Bookenhoutkloof
Kanokop
Klein Constantia
Meerlust
Raats Family

1 Like

We spent 3 weeks there in the winter, had a great time, but found some of the social/political/economic issues hard to swalllow.
Stayed at Spier, commercial comfortable and fun. And the wines were well made.
Did the Meerlust tasting and bought some Rubicon, very enjoyable experience.
We enjoy Rustenberg. I find Journeys End decent. We have recently bought Taiibosch, following recommendations, but haven’t tasted it yet.
I would say loads of good stuff, and those that are exported are sold at export prices.

1 Like

Me too.

And definitely the SA “ports”. They can be fantastic and often cost nothing. Vin de Constance is excellent, but more pricey.

2 Likes

Great list from others already.

I second those. Try the single vineyards Chenin from Adi Badenhorst.

Also, Duncan Savage for his reds.

The tiny Patatsfontain if you are in their vincinity. But don’t plan a detour just for them.

2 Likes

and I just had a Duncan Savage white that I thought was excellent.

+1 on Alheit, Boekenhoutskloof, Mullinex, and Sadie Family.

2 Likes

Lots of good suggestions above. And of course it may depend on what you like, but one that no one has mentioned that might be worth trying is Cape Point Vineyards – they do some excellent cold climate whites.

1 Like

Thanks for the tasting suggestions. Sadly not enough time for tastings though. Heading from Johannesburg straight to Kruger and then onto Botswana.

2 Likes

Haven’t had any reds but the Savage White (Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Clairette blend) is also excellent.

1 Like

+1 Boekenhoutskloof

1 Like