Best of South Africa Suggestions

Loads of great recs here. I would say to take a look at what Blue Crane Imports carries. They are a RSA-focused portfolio with some of the best producers in their portfolio

2 Likes

I second that also visit vin de Constantia best desert wine in the world

1 Like

Badenhorst Chenin is outstanding (both entry level and SVD depending on what you want to spend)

Hamilton Russell Chardonnay is world-class (Pinots are solid too, but need some time).

Stellakaya is a great QPR Cabernet Sauvignon

Klein Constantia Vin de Constance is world-class dessert wine, but you need to make sure it is an older vintage to get the most out of it.

2 Likes

These are great and again thank you. Will work on tasting through a good portion of the ones I can find in the States between now and May of next year. One caveat I would like to add… obviously some of these or some wines won’t be ready right from the get go… I’ve had some Rust en Vrede and it took many years to come around. So, will be looking for some wines that will be ready to drink rather than ones that require a lot of time in the bottle. Can probably have a wine slosh around and decant while driving, but that will be at best based on the day. Regardless, South Africa is a country that I have not dived deep into and these suggestion will be nice to add to my cellar to try over time.

Another vote for Hamilton Russell. Someone on here had a less enthusiastic review of their PN recently, but all the ones I’ve ever had have been excellent. And their Chard is fantastic.

1 Like

Was away for a bit with some international travel. Ready to run with this. Picked up a 2019 Porseleinberg Swartland at KL Wines to kick things off. Thank you again for the suggestions. Feeling like the Porseleinberg will be a winner. Anyone in South Africa know the Rand price point on this wine. Little steep in the US at $95.

1 Like

Wineonsafari.com has pretty good deals, including shipping on some smaller wineries that are not readily available in the US. I had a great visit to de Trafford in June and was able to find a nice selection of their wines at good prices.

Porseleinberg is excellent. $95 is a bit steep, I think I paid around $75 per bottle for my 19s.

Wines that I plan to check out.

Meerlust Rubicon
Meerlust Red
Mvemve Raats MR de Compostella
David & Nadia Elpidios
Porseleinberg Swartland
Sadie Family Columella
Klein Constantia Vin de Constance
Sadie Family Soldaat
Sadie Family Treinspoor
De Toren

2 Likes

Pass on the $20 Kloof St. Chenin at your own peril.

Resurrecting this thread as we are getting close to heading out on our safari to South Africa and Botswana.

Are there wine shop recommendations in Johannesburg and Pretoria? I want to make some arrangements for wine in advance.

Thanks!

I don’t have any recommendations but we are also heading to South Africa and Botswana, leaving in about 3 weeks! Can’t wait.

2 Likes

[
Boekenhoutskloof

1 Like

Thank you. Will add Boekenhoutskloof to the list.

Quick - head up to HdR where they are doing a SA seminar :slight_smile:

Mullineaux is the one presenting - top notch wines indeed

Cheers

1 Like