Best Bargain Champagne

My wife used to work for the distributor in MN that carries the Terry Theise portfolio (The Wine Co.) and they always had higher prices than other parts of the country. In fact, I would regularly buy from Envoyer the same wines my wife could get for cost, simply because Envoyer’s pricing was better than the wholesale price in MN!

I think a big reason for this is because the good distributors in MN pay for temperature controlled shipping, which adds an extra $3/btl on its own if I recall correctly. Then, when you factor in freight costs to the middle of the country, you end up with very high wine prices in MN.

I buy their Special Club from Envoyer for $60/btl, which I consider a steal.

Another good one is Nicolas Maillart “Platine”… and honorable mention for Gimmonet.

Also… K&L has a champagne club with a bunch of direct imports under $40, and where they send you 2 bottles every 2 months for $70/shipment.

And I’d say Argyle is in contention for best domestic sparkler, along with Schramsberg Bdb

I bought the Maillart from WTSO and I thought it was a solid champagne. Good value

clement perseval rosé is one of my favorites and is <30 euro usually

Chartogne-Taillet Cuvée Ste-Anne is consistently great, somewhat vinous and lean, but not austere to my palate.

+1

For me though these days, I’d say the top three (because I rarely see Vilmart GC anymore at bargain pricing) are:

Roederer Brut NV Champagne
Robert Moncuit BdB Les Mesnil NV
Pierre Peters BdB NV

All under or around $40 when on sale.

That’s playing by the rules, sticking strictly with Champagne.

For growers, Hebrart is a go-to. Among the big houses, Pol Roger NV impresses – besting many vintage wines at a recent walk-around. I also like the Le Mesnil co-op. With a little shoe leather, these don’t cost much more than the better domestics.

I’ve been impressed with Salmon Champagne that I’ve picked up from Lastbottle.com. The 2012 Salmon Champagne Special Club is especially good and I suspect it would bet better with age–but at that price, I’ll never know. Wish I could buy it all the time. Maybe I just like Pinot Meunier in young Champagne–but I like it more than most of the stuff I see mentioned above and the NV rings in around $30 bones, including shipping.

Anyone had the Costco Kirkland brand champagne lately? It was a great QPR at $20.

I think Pierre Peters is great, but I never see it anywhere near $40 anymore. W-S shows lowest price of $49 at several retailers. Locally it’s more like $60.

Anyone ever tried any of these. Pricing Comments welcome as well

French Champagnes

1. Gardet Brut Premier Cru NV (1.5L) - $65.00/bottle - free ground shipping on 2+
  2. Remy Massin Special Club Champagne 2011 - $49.00/bottle - free ground shipping on 6+
  3. Remy Massin Pinot Blanc Special Club Champagne 2014 - $49.00/bottle - free ground shipping on 6+
  4. Champagne Salmon Rose de Saignee Special Club 2013 - $49.00/bottle - free ground shipping on 6+
  5. Remy Massin Special Club Champagne 2010 - $49.00/bottle - free ground shipping on 6+
  6. Gallimard Champagne Grande Reserve Chardonnay Les Riceys NV - $28.00/bottle - free ground shipping on 4+
  7. Remy Massin & Fils Champagne Tradition NV - $29.00/bottle - free ground shipping on 4+
  8. Louis Chalvon Brut Grande Reserve Champagne NV - $22.00/bottle - free ground shipping on 6+
  9. Gardet Chigny-Les Roses Brut Tradition NV - $28.00/bottle - free ground shipping on 6+

Would pass on that.

I didn’t care for it. I much prefer the Mumm Napa Brut Prestige for a few dollars less. My go to in the under $50 category is NV Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Brut (it’s usually $30-35 here).

This is a list from lastbottle.com for sure; all of these have come up in the last year.

The Salmon wines are good. Dodge the Chalvon and Gallimard, both generic and low quality. The Gardet is probably okay but no more than that. I’m not familiar with Massin but definitely dodge 2011 if you do go in.

My go-to’s at that price are Jean Milan brut and Pol Roger brut. Aubry is up there for sure.

Good spot. Trying to have wine shipped for cheap for Spring break…

I got the champagne list from WTSO before Christmas and bought a few bottles for a party. The crowd seemed to enjoy them and the ones I tasted were good for the price.
Philippe Fourrier 2010 Cuvée Millesime Champagne Product ID: (86103) 1
Nicolas Maillart Platine Premier Cru Champagne Brut NV Product ID: (85654) 1
Baron-Fuenté Esprit Champagne Grand Cru Brut NV Product ID: (84245) 1
H. Blin Champagne Brut Blanc de Noirs NV Product ID: (85314) 1

The Blin was the least favorite.

I had the rose for the first time recently, and liked it. Just reordered and added some of the regular non-rose. Waiting for my delivery as we speak! Roderer is always solid (not the Anderson Valley one - bleh!) been drinking a bit of Marion-Bosser rose (just reordered and ordered non-rose), Taittinger La Francaise. Delamotte is solid and does not break the bank.