Best Bargain Champagne

but it slips up!

Nick F wrote:
Which are your go to domestic, Shramsberg?

My domestic pick is Roederer Brut for around $20. It is always a crowd-pleaser.

Ed

Ditto.

Would add Jose Michel and Gimmonet to the list as well.

My go-to bargain is NV Philippe Prié Champagne Tradition Brut from Wines Till Sold Out. Normal price is $24.99 for a 750ml and $54.99 for a 1.5l. Free shipping for four or more.

I like Lassalle and just had a Pol Roger for the first time in years and it was very nice. I like Vve. Fourny Blanc de Blanc but I don’t know if you often find it below $40. I have when it’s on sale, and after six months or more of aging it’s singing. Of course this is personal taste, I like zippy acidic champagnes, but the latest cuvees have had a depth and concentration that is much higher than expected in a NV blend. I just drank my last bottle out of a case purchased a year ago and seriously need to try the new release…

https://www.champagnelemesnil.com/en/rayon/le-mesnil-non-vintage/55/

touché (and true) . . . but it still might feel like falling

Another vote for Hebrart.

I’m not sure if I posted about these before, or if they can be found where you all are, but these are the champagnes we usually drink which cost 20€ (normally a bit less):

Moutard - the brown label Brut GV (biscuity, quite rich), not the silver one (Blanc de Blancs and not as good) - the other cuvées are less good in our opinion
Malard - the Brut (light, lemony style) and the Rosé
Bernard Brèmont - Brut (biscuits again and medium bodied) and Rosé
Charles Orsan - Blanc de Blancs (very elegant)
Nathalie Tornay GC - like a Bollinger NV at half the price

They’re all good and cheaper alternatives to the bigger names.

I think there are lots of very good champagne less than $40. My personal favor right now in the 2009 Brison which I got for $30. But style is almost as important as quality in making a choice. The Brison is very grower in style, 50% chardonnay and 50% pinot noir, light and bright and showing lots of minerals and earthy notes, with no real sweetness evident.

The Thiese-catalog growers’ entry level bottlings often can be found in this price range - Hebrart, Gimmonet, and my additional callout - Gaston Chiquet all are in this cadre. I think I picked up Sabine Godme BdB for $40 recently, but it may generally retail a bit higher.

$40 seems to be a price at which you can get really great juice from a wide array of styles/producers.

Cheers,
fred

In Toronto we’ve recently seen the Drappier Carte d’Or for around $46 CAD, which equates to less than $35 USD. This rich, primarily pinot noir based Champagne is an excellent buy at that price.

I consider vintage Piper-Heidsieck a bargain. It is an excellent champagne and can usually be found a good prices. Just bought some '08 Brut for $45.

Very good price on the vintage. It is amazing in Minneapolis how some shops have the NV at that price.

I forgot about a new one, JM Labruyere Grand Cru Prologue for $40. 70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay.

Has anybody had any Paul Bara recently? I had a nice bottle recently but It’s been several years since I really dove in, but they used to be great value.

Paul Bara is still nice, hard to get for sub $40, though.

-Al

This is over the mentioned $40 price, just in case someone is travelling to UK or who is there, some of M&S branches are selling Taittinger Comtes de Champagne 2006 for £37.50.

I had the '06 Paul Bara Comtesse. It was forgettable. Lacked distinction, I felt.

This

+1 on these!