BerserkerDay Short Rib 'Cage Match' - Flannery ('Zabs') vs. Morgan Ranch

Tonight was a BerserkerDay ‘Cage Match’ between Flannery Zabuton (‘zabs’, as Katie calls them) short ribs versus Morgan Ranch Wagyu Chuck Boneless short ribs - winner take all - paired with 2011 Ridge Monte Bello.

I was trying to tie in as many recent threads as possible, like this thread on my Zabuton-as-short-rib question as well as this thread where discussions of the 2020 Ridge Monte Bello somehow sidetracked into the drinkability of 2011 Monte Bello

On to the contest…

I cut the Flannery Zabuton into slices for the braise, and had two pieces of Morgan Ranch in the braise alongside it, using this recipe as my basis, my tried-and-true red wine braised short ribs. I used a basic Cotes du Rhone, one that is basically undrinkable though not flawed, as my wine for the braise. Each taster was served a piece of each short rib on a bed of asparagus risotto.

Tasters: Me, Jen (wife), and Braydn (son)

Me: flavor edge goes to Morgan Ranch for sure, texture to Flannery - has a ‘melt in your mouth’ quality
Jen: Flannery, “hands down”
Braydn: “I can chew this with my tongue!” (referring to his choice, Flannery)

Monte Bello 2011 was a great pairing - decanted 5 hours, could have decanted 5 more, as by the end of the meal the wine was its best - if you drink this, it’s ready, but with a significant decant. Lighter vintage, yes, but it has the guts that makes Monte Bello famous - the bright fruit profile on the nose, great acidity, fantastic with short ribs, to be sure.

13 Likes

Looks so good! Have you shared your recipe?

It’s linked in the post :wink:

1 Like

Ah ha!

Thank you.

1 Like

Solid bro, let’s get a picture of that boiling demi, because that’s a big part of this recipe!!! Glad to hear the tasting notes for both absolutely superb and perfect cuts of beef. I think I’ve only had the Flannery personally. I do not think I have tried Morgan‘s short ribs. Sounds like an embarrassment of riches.

Nicely done Todd! Now if I could only get my kids to eat risotto.

No mirepoix, just garlic?

Yes, with this recipe, only garlic - I also make a eintopf version with fennel, sweet potatoes, etc. Next time I’ll try with mirepoix, as I strain the braising liquid before reducing anyway

Boiling demi, Alfert’s favorite~!

1 Like

Thanks for the follow-up “zabuton“ post! Sounds like this is the way to go, particularly because I purchased only one so have one cook to get it right.

100% this is the way

1 Like

88% Cabernet Sauvignon
8% Merlot
4% Cabernet Franc.

Sorry, couldn’t resist :slight_smile:

1 Like