BerserkerDay 14 Wine Shipping Details

Not pushing at all, but just curious. To date, I’ve only had two notes from a plethora of wineries that I’m purchasing from for the first time this last Berserker Day on Shipping details.

Is it common for BD14 wines to ship in the Spring?

1 Like

yes very common

1 Like

Depending on where you are they are waiting for ideal weather- but communication is key.

1 Like

Yes, there are threads complaining about quite the opposite - with the deep freeze much of the country experienced this January/February it was smarter to wait. For those who didn’t, some damage was done. I have received all mine, but I’m in Southern CA (well, one more on the way, but shipped) - better to be safe.

2 Likes

Steve, we probably need to add this to the BD FAQ for newbies. Additionally, I think we recommend producers put estimated shipping in the offer.

As Todd mentioned, us losers in California have received lots of shipments already but that’s a function of weather.

If you ever have an issue you can always contact the winery directly. Call or email them is probably best.

But fear not, you’ll get your wines.

2 Likes

Here in the frozen tundra of Wyoming, we appreciate the wineries waiting until at least sometime in March to begin shipping our way . . . . :grinning:

As with many things, it depends.
It depends on where the wine is coming from, and where it is going. For example, I bought a mixed case from a Finger Lakes producer. No way they are going to ship in February, as it is still freezing there. Conversely, it may be freezing or at risk of doing so where you live, so that may be a mitigating factor as well. Your profile says you are in Maryland. Definitely still a good chance for below-freezing temperatures there.
If you go back and look at the original BD post from the winery and/or the confirmation email you received, there may be information buried in there about anticipated ship dates. There also may be mention of when the wine will be bottled (some offers were for wines that had not been bottled yet).
Assuming that you, the winery, and the entirety of the shipping route are in areas where weather might be suitable, I would give it at least a month after purchase before making any inquiries. Most of these wineries are quite small, and they are already inundated with the work of just getting the wines sorted and prepared to ship.

1 Like

They get lots of orders. Most are smaller shops. Sure there’s weather to consider, but mostly they are just behind. Post in May if you are still waiting.

I’d just inquire with the winery. But yes, wait.

2 Likes

Yeah naturally but it you don’t hear anything posting here is good. I had that issue last year with a seller and Todd reached out and we got it squared away.

1 Like

I received a FedEx notice Monday morning that my wine from one retailer has shipped and is expected to arrive here Thursday. Currently, the predicted high here Wednesday is 1 degree, and Thursday is 6 degrees. I reached out to the winery after the notice, but have not heard anything. I worry about what those sorts of temps can do to the wine. Ugh.

2 Likes

I have just started shipping my BD wines and if you are outside of CA/WA/OR, I emailed you with a heads up and asked whether you wanted it shipped right now or not. If I did not hear back from folks about to get hit with the blizzard on the East Coast, I have chosen to hold off for a few weeks.

If you do not hear from wineries, I would take it upon yourself to reach out to them to ensure they follow the directions or directives you’re happy with.

Cheers

got a case of syrah sitting on a weather delay!

Could be a day or two in Rawlins. Sorry, Mel.

Unfortunately, just like with wine grapes, Mother Nature has the final say in things - and sometimes things just don’t work out the way ANY of us want them to . . .

Cheers

I forgot how much wine I ordered BD until this thread reminded me of my ‘pending deliveries.’

…so . . . thank you? I guess.

1 Like

Down here in south Louisiana it will be in the low 80’s for the next seven days

But your wine is traveling through Wyoming. LOL

Yep, there in lies the problem :joy:

My wine might be stalled in Utah (a good thing, btw) due to I-80 across Wyoming essentially having closed to all traffic. For those not familiar with the modern-day death ride commonly known as Wyoming’s stretch of I-80 in winter, this past decade WDOT has been very proactive in just shutting the damn thing down when blizzard conditions hit. Legend has it that the stretch from Laramie (home of University of Wyoming, elevation above 7K feet) to Rawlins originally was advised against when plans were being developed for the route across Wyoming, due primarily to well-established winter wind patterns. The primary train route pre-I-80 headed north out of Laramie up to Medicine Bow ("The Virginian) and then back down SW to the Rawlins area, avoiding the Elk Mountain vicinity. For you western history buffs, the train robberies that essentially did in the Hole In The Wall gang took place on that old, now abandoned, route north out of Laramie. Late yesterday I-80 west of Cheyenne shut down (not sure where the point for eastbound shut down, but probably Rawlins; the Rock Spring to Rawlins stretch also can get really bad. Same with the Utah state line into Evanston stretch). Think white-out driving conditions for miles and miles. Then add eighteen wheelers to the mix. Fun stuff. Living and working here for over 40 years, I’ve driven that stretch of I-80 too many times to still be alive.

So, lots of over-the-road freight is stopped/stranded at points outside of Wyoming (where, hopefully, temps and weather aren’t as severe).

1 Like