BerserkerDay 14 Wine Shipping Details

I recently drove from Park City UT to Denver on I80 and while it was mostly a sunny day. the many many snow fences all had huge piles of snow 4-6 deep down wind.
I can’t even imagine what that stretch of road would be link in a storm!

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I have plenty of stories . . . . :joy:

1 Like

Ugh, make sure to check your shipping address. I had an old office address in my Tercero account, that I have not been in for almost 5 years. FedEx called this morning and is now redirecting it.

Ooops - sorry that wasn’t caught on my end…

The most scared I’ve ever been behind the wheel was driving from Rock Springs to Rawlins in early April of 1991. There were white-out conditions and I was driving very carefully in the slow lane, fully expecting a big rig to come up from behind and blast me into oblivion.

2 Likes

It’s a thought/worry I’ve had often . . . .

Received an email last week from Saunter Wine that my order had been packed and shipped and I should recieve this week. No tracking info provided. Weather from Cali to Texas is just fine atm.

UPS said they delivered my Veleta wine at 2:07 yesterday and left it on the front porch. I was home and heard or saw nothing. I have filed a claim but am worried if they find it since its been in the eighties they last few days in South Louisiana.

First shipping issue we have had.

Well a neighbor 10 houses down had it, missed by a wee bit,

I didn’t think to go that far down yesterday LOL.

2 Likes

Wrong approach, if you’re the fastest on the highway you don’t even need taillights. I hate jackasses in BMWs that get outcornered by tractor-trailers on the highway.

<---- scratching head, trying in vain to understand and picture getting “out-cornered by tractor-trailers on the highway” . . . . Is that a Pennsylvania sort of thingy? :joy:

If you’re driving a car/light truck/mini van and you’re being passed by a tractor trailer, your driving skills suck. Of course, if they weren’t so cared shitless they could look in the rear view and see 100 car stacked up behind them.
Most not be a lot of traffic in WY.

I’ve concluded you’ve never had the pleasure of driving I-80 through Wyoming during a blizzard . . . . I’ll just leave it there. :joy:

It’s been a while since I’ve driven in a blizzard. But, one time in the worst tule fog I’ve experienced, my strategy was to drive behind a semi. I think he knew the freeway better than I did, was driving a sensible speed, easy to see and people mostly didn’t want to follow, and I assumed I could stop faster than he could if we happened upon a pile-up. Fortunately, there were no semis behind us.

-Al

1 Like

It’s almost always excessive speed that ends up killing folks during I-80 winter travel. And, as often as not, the excessive speed of some other driver that ends up taking out other vehicles. I-80 across southern Wyoming is particularly bad for white-out conditions for passenger vehicles, where the winds often are blowing snow horizontally across the road. With ground blizzard and/or white-out conditions, it’s often a real challenge to even see the road and the actual lines for the lanes, etc. Truett, above, describes a very common situation for those of us here, as the big rig trucks invariably are traveling too fast for conditions and faster than the passenger vehicle traffic. Here’s an editorial from today’s Casper Star Tribune that hits upon that particular experience, and most of the others that can and do turn I-80 winter travel deadly:

Don’t worry it’s only going to get worse. “ A typical section of I-80 in Wyoming has a traffic count of about 13,000 vehicles per day , with heavy trucks making up about half of the traffic. Traffic is projected to continue increasing, with heavy truck volume alone approaching nearly 16,000 per day by 2037.”

1 Like

Almost everyone here in Wyoming understands this. Problem is, our Wyoming legislature has been and remains unwilling to do a damn thing about it (thus our state’s primary state-wide newspaper writing editorials about the problems).

My guess is, however, that similar stats apply to most of our nation’s interstate highways. I’ve driven across this country a handful of times, and my roadtrip this past June really left me thinking the big rig traffic was about twice the volume it was when I drove the same or similar routes back in 2010 and 2012.