Berserker Boys' Ultimate Mountain Jamboree 2.0 (Dom, Krug, Salon, Bouchard, Conterno, VCC, Vatan, etc)

The legendary Berserker Boys’ Ultimate Mountain Jamboree was back for another weekend session up in the mountains of Highlands, North Carolina. Last event’s post is here, and this one was another for my own personal record books, if not only with the wines, but the people, and laughs (there were a LOT of laughs)! The absolute pinnacle of an offline for me, where both wine contributions and bodily harm need 2 years of recovery. @Jorge_Henriquez @K_John_Joseph @Charlie_Carnes @Robert.A.Jr

I don’t yet have the mental fortitude to post some notes, hopefully others do (Alfert was the most dedicated among us in taking notes, but who knows, as fun quickly took over for dull wine tasting notes), and the photo ops weren’t quite as good since we were in the mountains earlier than last time, so we don’t have the gorgeous color of the leaves, plus the weather was somewhat uncooperative, but I do have the photos in the same general ‘pose’ as last time, for only SOME of the wines we enjoyed. This Jamboree was rather Champagne-focused (as you’ll see) and that was a truly valuable experience for me, to taste world class bubbles from a number of producers and vintages. Amazing food as well, since we had plenty of great cooks in tow - a perfect weekend of fun and friendship.

I met these folks through Wine Berserkers and they have quickly become my best friends - I cherish the relationships, and am thankful to the community for that, very much so.

Some highlights in photographic form…

23 Likes

Jealous. Of course a photo is worth a thousand words. Photos are …
Nice work!

1 Like

As I ease through the second day of no drinking and my multi-day hangover begins to fade, I can’t help but look back on this past weekend’s event with a smile. It was freaking awesome. I think my cheeks are still sore from smiling and laughing. What a great group. I’ll post my recollections – some are quite hazy – over the next few days.

2013 A. Margaine BdB Special Club - slamming well balanced lovely BdB with good lemon curd, apple, white toast. Really tasty wine, with lees sneaking in on the finish showing good acid, but also nice richness. A very nice wine.

2002 Bollinger Grand Anne – I was a bit let down by this wine. I like Bollinger’s champagnes young where they show a flashy, fleshy, rich style balanced by good acidity. This wine was sensational young, and I was very excited to drink it. While it was showing hallmark richness, I found the oxidative note pushing into oxidation. Rich shortbread, apple tart, and lemon curd, but maybe a little more cider than I prefer and maybe the first touches of sherry.

2004 Cristal This was a beautiful wine showing white peach, a hint of apricot, beautiful creme pat notes, and some candied ginger. So complete. A really beautiful, fresh, complete champagne.

2004 Salon A kaleidoscope of creamy deliciousness with pear, white flowers, vanilla cream, cool citrus, pastry dough. A wonderful rendition of chardonnay, and a glorious and immensely complex wine.

2004 Krug Clos de Mesnil BdB another mind blowing and immensely complex wine in a very different style. Darker in color than the salon, showing its oxidative roots on the palate as well. This is both rich with spicy jazz apple, fresh roll, hint of wood, and a touch of nuttiness but with crisp clean citrus leading to a racy finish. Where the Salon is subtle but immense complexity, this is flashier and a bit more in your face. Equals, but different.

2004 Dom Perignon P2 This was a really exceptional, and accessible, bottle of champagne in classic Dom style, with a flinty entry, followed by pure cool pear, white cherry, almond, and vanilla cream notes. Good minerality, but still plush. Great stuff.

2017 Cedric Bouchard Roses de Jeanne Les Ursules - A sensational expression of pinot noir. With zero dosage, this is a departure from the other champagnes, but the pinot noir character is so pure. It’s white cherry, hint of vanilla, lemon, and then this massive, stunning floral note that had me thinking jasmine or honeysuckle (but not a sweet note), finishing with good clean fruit-based richness. Acid is not insignificant, and this should hold up really well.

1996 Cristal This was a bit faded and oxidative, which is too bad. It was showing a bit more english toffee, a hint of butterscotch, some nuttiness, a little apple cider. But it also had apricot and some mandarin, some spice, and good remaining acidity. It was just a bit tired and oxidative for what it should have been. Showing much more than 8 years older than the 2004, which was bright and inviting with no oxidative characteristics.

1996 Bollinger R.D. - This is rich and flashy with orange marmalade, honeycomb, lemon curd, and spiced bread notes. Oxidative in style, but in great shape. Bombastic, finishing with very crisp acidity, offsetting the oxidative rich fruit profile, which is beginning to develop some pecan nuttiness. While there is a tremendous amount there, I just don’t think the oxidative style, at nearly 30, is my preference. Is the acid a little too high here? It’s kind of a lot of everything.

1996 Dom Perignon Oenotheque Simply sensational. A glorious wine in perfect condition with beautiful pear and cherry notes, a nice pop of almond tart, lovely florals, and a hint of cool mint. Color is pale and light, and this shows the youngest of the 1996s by a mile. I was fairly sure this would be the let down given some notes I’ve seen on here about this wine, but this was, to me, the hands down winner of the 96s. It was incredibly youthful, fitting better with the 2004s than the 1996s. Just a gorgeous wine, and worthy of a place among the best champagnes of the weekend.

1996 Philipponnat Clos de Goisses L.V. (late disgorged) - An interesting wine showing tangerine and apricot notes, with creme brulee, spice, and oak. Very high perceived acidity. Fresh, but also showing some age as the profile matures. Faint bitter note, and showing a touch of pecan nuttiness. Really intense crispness on the finish. Hallmark of 96? This was a good wine.

1995 Chateau Mouton - Really wonderful and spicy nose with black cherry, cedar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and just a touch of leather. Palate is really nice with a good fruit profile retaining youth. Just a touch astringent. Nose beats the palate, but not by much for me. I liked this a lot, but to be fair, was pretty lit at the time.

1989 Brane- Cantenac - I recall a few things about this wine. First, a couple dinguses thought this was better than the Mouton, and it was not. It was meatier, and more dense on the palate, but I also found it somewhat less complex. A very good, very well made, and very well proportioned wine that just lacked that next-level complexity and excitement. Great condition, though, and very nice.

Non-wine aside here: Royal Lochnagar is a nice scotch, but I would not recommend three fingers of it at 1:20 in the morning after a couple bottles of wine. Water is better. Hiking 3.5 miles the next morning with 1000ft elevation change was wonderful. Nice way to sweat out some sins, earn a delicious Cubano made by a Dominican, and prep for Flannery smashburgers by Carnes, the world’s greatest smashburger chef.

12 Likes

Nice job, guys!

2 Likes

Todd is so ana - I mean, particular - taking all these glorious snapshots. I’m a purveyor of facts, the narrative of what really occurred…

And of course, not just wine stuff. I’ll unfold those side-stories as the thread progresses, but the narrative of true elote athleticism - and how even curdled cream rises to the top - must be spoken. Yes, after crushing the field on a long, steep, rocky hike, I had to assert my dominance on the extreme sport of pickleball. Using Todd’s equipment. And saddled with Jorge as my teammate. We allowed Kane and Carnes to take the first two sets in this best 3 of 5 King of the Highlands World Championship, and then we threw down the hammer. The thrashing we laid down was illustrious. And since we all were hungover and had several bottles of champagne for breakfast, with caviar, no excuses applied. Todd watched football while we were at war. And then watched more football as we napped.

I wish I had a sophisticated of a champagne palate as these guys and as many of the people on this forum. The champagnes that Kane and Carnes brought were off the charts exceptional, and the cadence at which we were drinking them, was akin to an athletic competition. Having the 2004 Les Mesnil by Krug and Salon side by side, well that’s not something I ordinarily experience. Actually, all of the 2004 champagnes showed spectacularly well. We also had the 2004 Dom P2 and the 2004 Cristal. I found the Salon just a small cut above the field, enough for me to clearly have noticed a difference in a sea of spectacular champagnes. I put the Cristal over the Dom, then Krug second. I’ll defer to the boys to highlight the nuances between all of these wines.

It was really hard to take notes as we got deep into the evening, but I did manage to take notes on about a third of the wines on my iPhone, taking a few minutes here and there on the side, never forgetting that the Weekend really was more about the camaraderie, that the five of us have had for a handful of years now. Getting together with all of these guys, or even one on one, when we can grab a chance, is always a highlight. Berserkers are great people.

1995 Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Pauilliac

Super aromatic Bordeaux perfume, quite intoxicating really. Dark black fruits and cassis, a sexy woodsy note, hints of exotic spice. Saddle leather and cigar leaf. A big rich nose, the palate shows much more leanly, some astringency that took time to soften and resolve. Broader range of red to darker fruits on the palate, good acidic structure, tannins fairly well integrated. Short-ish finish, perhaps just a bit clipped. A wine that garners 96 points on the nose and 92 on the palate, a notable drop-off.

(94 pts.)

1989 Brane-Cantenac, Margaux

Shows more Pessac-Leognan than Margaux, quite earth-driven and more of a red fruit profile. Dank earth, warm ripe red fruits with a plummy dark presence. Some citrus red notes as well. This wine drinks quite lovely but is clearly on the backside of peak. Drink up and enjoy.

(93 pts.)

2009 Domaine Huet Vouvray Franc de Pied Le Haut-Lieu

The unicorn Huet! A Franc de Pied. Smokey match-stick nose after some time open. Shows really bright and fresh on both the nose and palate. Interesting juxtaposition of tropical and citrus notes with diesel and wax. Quince, kiwis, nectarines, peach and apples. Stone fruits for sure. A chewy white, like biting into a juicy tropical fruit with a crispy tart skin. Long lingering finish. More on the dry side than sweet.

(94 pts.)

1975 Château La Mission Haut-Brion, Graves

This is a glorious mature wine, classic Graves. Earthy mineral tones on the nose, iron and leather with some air. Deep blood iron notes. Quite pungent, actually. Palate is a beautiful range of red fruits. Crisp acid, still quite fresh, youthful and vibrant. Dry dusty coating on the tongue, long streaky finish.

(97 pts.)

1982 Chateau Canon

Perfectly at peak, perfect pitch. Wonderful wet soil tones, ripe red and dark fruits. Cigar box, leather, some light iron and earth-mineral notes. Round and elegant on the palate. Ventures into the deep dark and plummy tones. Still nicely structured, full- bodied though tannins fully integrated.

(97 pts.)

1982 Ducru-Beaucaillou, Saint-Julian

This shows as a great Ducru should, that lovely Saint Julian perfume of rich dark fruits, wood pencil shavings and earth. Still a big chewy wine, could go another 20 easy. Took some time to show, give this one a solid decant. As Todd noted, this big wine really needs something like the smash burgers we were eating to showcase its goods.

(96 pts.)

1990 Rosenblum Cellar, Sonoma Valley Zinfandel, Maggie’s Reserve

The surprise of the weekend, and not just because it was actually alive. This was excellent. Reminds me of the “By the Glass” offerings occasionally at Bern’s, when you are trying 40+ year old classic Zins stored exceptionally well. A claret-like perfume with some additional spicy and brambly notes. Earth and herbs. Palate is round, plummy and sweet with some nice citrus acids. Tannins fully resolved; body was soft, seamless, almost silky. Labeled at 13.8% ABV and shows no heat. A treat to experience, really fun. And such a classic old California label, you feel the history here.

(94 pts.)

1998 Vieux Chateaux Certan

Such a gorgeous wine. Classic Pomerol black truffles, toasted garlic, deep dark fruits and rich wet earth. Palate is seamless with a wonderful range of dark fruits. Impeccable balance on this wine. Circled back about three hours later and that wine was wide open and gorgeous - note to self, decant longer next time.

(96 pts.)

1998 Chateau Magdelaine

Enjoyed side-by-side with the VCC. Equally excellent, but also quite different. Love the minty and more herbaceous notes on this wine.

(95 pts.)

And my red wine of the weekend, Todd brought this killer wine:

Could be that it was just so much different than the Bordeaux we were drinking, or maybe that it was just a bit more young and fresh, but I loved the deep complexity to this wine.

We also popped a 2005 Vatan Clos la Neore like last gathering. It’s hard not to want to score this wine 100 points every single time. Vatan is just so singular. I have never tasted a Sauvignon Blanc, like this, clearly has some characteristics that are more akin to a Chenin, but with a hell of a lot more complexity and depth. The waxiness to this tropical fruit profile is quite distinct for Sav Blanc.

Needless to say, I’m wiped out today. Three full days and full nights at 100 mph, followed by a 10 hour drive home in Meats’ big 'ole luxury RV. That he allowed me to drive that on the highway should scare anyone.

9 Likes

Not knowing Ana nor Todd, I cannot comment on similarities.

Well done to y’all, cherishing the moments that should be cherished. And beyond the wines: glorious view!

I forgot about this wine until I saw it in your lineup and had a rush of taste sensations and salivated a little bit. Note came back to me! I think I actually exclaimed, “marmalade” when I first sipped this, but it’s more complex than that. Orange citrus, hint of rich, bitter peel, honey, bees wax, kiwi, with good lemony citrus acidity keeping it from being too round. Tasty wine, and a good one to ease back into to soften a not insignificant hangover after Night 1.

A few pics…

2 Likes

Well done, gentlemen.

Nice wines and notes!

Interesting comparison of the 04 salon with the cdm; I’ve found the 04 cdm and the 04 cdc the only drinkable 04s for my palate. I find the 04s in general to be shrill, acidic, and lacking in fruit.

Was the 04 p2 just released? I really liked the 03.

Also, glad the 96 oeno showed well. When we had it earlier this year it was underwhelming at best.

1 Like

@ToddFrench When is the next all inclusive Berserkerfest :berserker: ???

:scratch:
Amazing line up!!! :wow:

1 Like

Working on one in Napa/Sonoma, if @Shawnda_H ever figures out some logistics!

Interesting comments on the 2004 vintage.

We had quite a few 2004s and on a recap discussion, we all concurred that this vintage is showing extremely well right now. Not a single one was shrill, acidic or lacking in fruit. They were all excellent. Having been on a similar weekend that was also a champagne blowout, I do still believe that 2008 is the best vintage of that decade.

The 96 Cristal was phenomenal. And it had the great fortune to have been the first wine consumed that day, with while some hangover persisted, we had some decent clarity of mind. After a lot of coffee. I love this 96 Cristal. I might have been my second favorite champagne of the weekend.

2 Likes

Yes, that was a valuable discussion, truly - wish we also had a bottle of the '04 Dom Ruinart BdB to try as well, alongside the others, for stylistic comparison, as John pointed out some interesting insight on that as well.

The fact that we didn’t have a bunch of 2008s to taste means we failed miserably…but at least we have a goal for Jamboree 3.0!!

My biggest recollection of that weekend with 2008s was a lot of sexy dancing. We prolly need to keep that out of the mountains. And the 08 could spare some time. So 3.0 it is!

1 Like

Interesting; I would revisit 04s but I sold all mine except cdm and cdc. @Brad_England brought the 04 cdm to an event last year to convince me that 04s weren’t all bad and sort of succeeded!

1 Like

Color on this is amazing, breakfast of champions

2 Likes

Agreed on this, and our text chain discussion is revealing many similar thoughts as well. I’m possibly the only one who preferred the Krug over the Salon (though they were incredibly close to call) if only for it’s beautiful texture and mouthfeel, whereas the Salon had clearly the superior nose (to me)

1 Like

You mean 96 Dom Oenotheque. The 96 Cristal was night before, and was a bit oxidated.

2 Likes

which is why it was perfect for Jorge’s homework of the weekend, reading the book on Sherry

2 Likes