BD15 Delivered and Drunk

Steve Lagier is chewing on a bag of dicks right now

13 Likes

I had quite the BD15 weekend.
Morgan Ranch ground beef smash burgers along side some Dickā€™s.

Then a French omelette with more Dickā€™s.

And lastly a Flannery ribeye

8 Likes

Those are the ones Iā€™d have gone for, too- sorry Iā€™m not of more help here!

Iā€™m going to potato chip my next omelette. Thanks for the idea, @Kevin_Diffley !

Received the Flannery lamb and beef, Papa A5 and caviar, waiting on the Dickā€™s. No pics of the grilled Flannery beef, pic below of the A5 + caviar and some local uni. This was off the hook good.

5 Likes

iā€™m surprised you arenā€™t still having convulsions of pleasure

1 Like

oh thatā€™s a great idea! I have my Astrea in-house and still one Papa Wagyu A5 steak!!

1 Like

16oz Flannery ribeyes. Holy hell these were incredible. I feel like I usually buy good steaks from legit butchers. These were next level.

Paired with an 08 Haut-Bages Liberal that I enjoyed far less than the 18 Desire Lines Evangelo I had last night that was killer.

6 Likes

2016 Deaver Alicante Bouschet and 2018 Fogline Rockpile Rocky Ridge Zinfandel - both very enjoyable

1 Like

Claire Hill Syrah 2021. Elegant, lifted, structured. This is not your typical CA Syrah. What Cathy Corison is to Cabernet Sauvignon, Claire Hill is to Syrah. The wine needs air is itā€™s young and tight, but with some time, it shows the peppery dark varietal character of the grape. I see this wine cellaring for decades with ease. Really nicely made wine.

11 Likes

Hi Mark - I replied back to the welcome email a while back asking about recommended drinking windows on the cab and the syrah, but never got a response. Do you have any guidance on that? Thanks.

1 Like

Hey Stephen,

Sorry I missed your email. The petite Arvine is good to go now and will last a few years easily. The Syrah is still young with a lot of primary fruit. It has a decent amount of tannin so Iā€™d guess the window is more like 2025-2028/9. The cab is an interesting one. I find it doesnā€™t profile like most cabs. We describe it as a cab made by a Pinot house. Itā€™s fruit forward and doesnā€™t have the traditional hard tannin structure. The tannins are soft and fruit is a mix of red and black- plum and blackberry. Itā€™s drinking well now if you want a lighter style red wine thatā€™s somewhat easy to drink and fruity. Itā€™s a lovely wine, but you wonā€™t confuse it for Bordeaux.

I hope that helps. Cheers,

Mark

2 Likes

Thank you, Mark, for the quick response. That is helpful and the cab sounds very interesting.

1 Like

We drank the 2021 Championship Bottle Hard Promises Pinot Blanc a few nights ago. My first CB. Nice job @Saul_Mutchnick! My wife like it so much that she went looking for the bottle to find out what it was. Along with Goodfellow and Kelley Fox, Saul is showing what great white wines Oregon can make with this grape and others beyond just Chardonnay.

3 Likes

You need to shave some white truffles onto it and add a dollop of foie gras, that isnā€™t quite decadent enough as is.

1 Like

Awesome! Glad you (and, more importantly, your wife) enjoyed it. Blanc is a grape that I strongly believe in, but itā€™s hard to find it from great sites. Partially because I think there have been a lot of producers who historically fight its nature and therefore make wine thatā€™s pretty innocuous as a result, and so there hasnā€™t been a whole lot of demand for it. But if you take it seriously, it seems to reward that.

5 Likes

i know, if i was eating this, iā€™d wear a hood to hide my shame from god

1 Like

I keep beating the drum and wringing my hands about the Willamette Valley becoming essentially a two grape game. Iā€™m fine with it just being Pinot Noir, but I so wish there was wider diversity of whites beyond Chardonnay. But I donā€™t have any skin in the game and the market is paying up for Chard. So Iā€™ll just keep pecking around like an old rooster for overlooked scraps that most people donā€™t care about.

1 Like

Are there particular white varieties youā€™ve thought were great from Oregon, or ones that arenā€™t planted there but you think they would be profound there?

I guess the obvious thing feels like WV is similar to Burgundy therefore Chardonnay. And of course the economics ā€“ if you could make good aligote, riesling, gewurtz or something, it probably wouldnā€™t fetch the kind of pricing you could get for chardonnay.

The incoming wave might be sparkling wine. Which isnā€™t different varieties, but a different wine.

For sure, it is an economic issue and I know that other white varieties have been ripped out or grafted over to Chardonnay. However, Oregon (like California before it) has the opportunity to be a blank slate and doesnā€™t have to be Burgundy 2.0. I think diversity of choice wins every time and it is a shame if it all comes down only to economics. From Oregon, Iā€™ve had great examples of Pinot Blanc (several), Pinot Gris (well, two), Riesling (several), Gruner Veltliner (two), and Gewurztraminer (one). Personally, Iā€™d rather drink Loire Chenin Blanc over most Chardonnay, so would love to see that planted.

For Oregon Sparkling wine, Iā€™m at the front of the line!

Edit: And PGC makes a really nice Muscat or two!

3 Likes