Aubert just canceled my order!

Maybe he’ll get shipped the bottles somebody else returned, and his returned bottles will fill another order! [wink.gif]

Coming to a Steakhouse near you soon…

Learning from the Ray Walker playbook.

No orders from me in the future. I’m pulling my name from the list. [head-bang.gif]

Craig T - from what I can gather, wine was shipped to you and sat in a warehouse where the temperature was 87 degrees outside. As far as I can tell from your post, that’s the only reason you returned it. But answer this for me…was the cork pushing up when it arrived to you? How do you know it was “heat damaged”.

Very curious to see this packaging of the future…you didn’t get pics did you? Is it supposedly a better performer in the heat? Not sure why it would be “future” packaging if it wasn’t better insulating…

For one thing, there is a difference between phenolic ripeness and sugar ripeness, and the relationship between those two processes seems different in different kinds of grapes. It hardly seems odd that different grapes would be amenable to different treatments. After all, there are reasons that we make chenin blanc and other grapes into “dessert wines”, but not chardonnay. Acidity is certainly a key factor, but there are others.

Liking something that Bueker doesn’t is like a badge of honor isn’t it? :slight_smile:

Aubert is certainly nothing close to Chablis and decidedly Californian. Everybody doesn’t like the same thing. But in drinking a lot of Aubert, I’m almost surprised at how many of my local aficianados who drink mostly French wine really like Aubert.

Fwiw, packaging of the future might relate to environmental friendliness.

I can actually understand him not having anymore wine, though as Seiber states it’s hard to believe they didn’t hold anything back. But if they really wanted to take some responsibility, they’d find SOMETHING short of just canceling this season’s order. It’s also below standard IMO to state such little concern for when/how fine wine is shipped.

[quote=“johngonzales”]Liking something that Bueker doesn’t is like a badge of honor isn’t it? :slight_smile:

+100 !! [snort.gif]

Regarding the cork’s, most were recessed about 1/4 inch. When I talked to Aubert they said they leave there corks 1mm short. What was interesting in the package is that the wines at the top were the most affected and as I went down in levels of packaging the wines were less effected. The bottom row actually had 2 bottles that were normal.

I think he’s just referring to cardboard “egg pack” wine shippers. They may be better environmentally, but they sure don’t provide much insulation.

John, Yah, Aubert was refering to the egg pack wine shippers.

Had it once, at a dinner with Kevin in attendance and he may actually have brought it. I drink almost no CA chardonnay and buy none at all but I liked it.

This description is spot on. I have been a buyer since the 2004 vintage. I recently had a 2004 Aubert Lauren (not my own - mine were all gone) and it was absolutely exceptional and the best aged California chardonnay I have ever had.

I will just say, +1.

I really like their style.

So does my wife, who especially loves their pinot and likes to kill them when young.

[cheers.gif]

So some (most) of the corks were very slightly depressed. And presumably (since Craig did not mention) wine has not seeped out? What opinions do the Berserkers out there have about whether the seals are compromised or not?

Certainly, the wine itself is not cooked or otherwise damaged because the warm temps had brief duration. The only legitimate question IMO is whether the seals have been damaged, thus making it risky to age the wine. I wonder if it’s possible Mr. Aubert thought Craig was over-reacting and just didn’t want to deal with it??

Wow. What crappy service.

Really unfair!

He got a full refund and they said they had no more wine.

Should we start a Crowdfund ?? [wow.gif]

It sounds like a lot of customers didn’t appreciate the shipping decision & the winery was probably frustrated at the whole situation. I don’t think I buy the notion that they can’t ship from Napa under proper temps. Plenty of producers offer to ship during cool periods.

To the op- I would recommend snapping a picture with your phone that you can send in case this ever comes up again. It sounds like the winery doesn’t think there is a problem with the corks- sending them the pic might have mitigated it.

If this were me, I’d likely look elsewhere for wine.