Aubert just canceled my order!

You mean it’s possible to tell the difference between normal and heat-damaged Aubert? That stretches credulity.

I just find them totally overdone. I prefer Ramey if I want California Chardonnay of that style.

I understand not liking Aubert, tastes differ, but to say they are the same style as Ramey? That I just don’t get.

OK - not exactly (Aubert is bigger by a long shot which is what I don’t like), but I find both more Californian than being the Chablis wanna-be style.

I don’t seem much similarity between Ramey and Aubert either.

I am not a big fan of California Chardonnay but Aubert is a very unique expression. It has a lot of everything, fruit, alcohol, acidity and the most importantly mineral. If you like the style, there is no other producer who can provide the similar experience. The mineral expression aspect is similar to Chablis not that anyone will confuse with Chablis. The fruit expression is quite fresh not candied. Ramey is much more tropical fruit/yellow fruit and not much minerality, for my palate.

This reminds me of one of the Ilan threads where it was discussed as to how it was possible that some wine wasn’t held back as a reserve to address issues or for other purposes. I always assumed that wineries doing DtC sales held some wine back for exactly this type of issue. Guess not.

Somehow, someway, karma will pay back those that deserve it. Once a winery like this falls out of favor, they’ll be begging to have the customers back they shafted.

Shazam! [cheers.gif]

Out of curiosity, did they refund you or offer a credit for future orders? I would hope that they would make you more than whole on this since they, or their shipping company made the error (hot weather).

And if they see this tread there will be no future orders!

This brings to mind discussions in the past where folks chimed in with bizarre mailing list practices. And for every one of these people there are several who stand by the Aubert Gold Standard of Service Excellence. Interesting.

As for the wine, my description is close to David B’s “candy juice”. I call it “adult candy.” And I like it, in a guilty pleasure sort of way.

I guess the Sugar Shack is your favorite champagne.gif

If only Prince were alive, he could turn “candy juice” into a funky tune.

I bet he’d be able to find a way to include “overripe” and
“overpaid,” too.

So it’s okay to enjoy Riesling that has ripe fruit with residual sugar but not Chardonnay?

Dennis

Dont know about ripe fruit but i was amazed as a Chablis lover how great a good trocken can be, im guessing low rs on a trocken though, not sure how ripe the fruit would be

They did refund my money via my credit card. Whats interesting is they sent me an invoice that showed the refund and in little print underneath it said “order was returned at customers request. No inventory to fulfill order.” At least they could of sent me an email. Whats also interesting is I had talked and emailed there customer service manager Philip and he said that he would replace it as soon as he received the old bottles. Also who ever sent me a PM I am not able to access PM’s. Thanks…

So the official version at least is that they refunded your money but didn’t have inventory left to offer you new bottles.

I don’t know how to evaluate if that is true or not - of course they could sell all of it if they want, but I assume wineries hold some reserve back as well, whether for contingencies (e.g. order got lost, computer error) or for aging and later evaluation or tasting events. It’s probably either (a) in that in between ground, where they aren’t literally out of these wines but what they have left is the amount they reserve for other purposes, or (b) they’re just annoyed at you and don’t want to send you more.

Have you called to ask them why you can’t get replacement bottles?

I’m in the same boat. Candy juice is a good descriptive. But to each his own. If people like paying these kinds of prices for wines like this - all the power to them.

I spoke with the owner Mark Aubert and he said they literally have no wine to replace the bottle. he went on to say that there were “numerous” customers that had sent wine back for some reason or other and that they did not have enough to replace everybody’s. So it appears that I was not the only one to have problems. I also asked why he would send the wine in egg crate packaging and in 87 degree weather. He said that its not feasible to ship only when its cool in Napa and regarding the packaging he said quote “You gotta learn to deal with the packaging, its the future”. I really was surprised by his response. He didn’t seem to care about the condition of his wine during shipping.

Translation: there are enough non-geek customers that don’t know any better who will keep us rolling in dollars so you can take a hike. [berserker.gif]

You going to order again? They keep you on the list?