All things Oregon Chardonnay

Glad that you enjoyed Kelley’s DUX chardonnay, Bob. We established our vineyard in 2011 after tearing out a decrepit 40 year old cherry orchard, planting of 5 acres of pinot noir that year. In 2012 we added one acre of Draper Selection chardonnay in the northeast corner. Jim Arterberry Maresh bought our fruit starting in 2016 (first commercial harvest) for his Arterberry Maresh label and then moved it to his Tan Fruit label for the 2019. Kelley took over the chardonnay contract in 2020 but not before Jimmie took truckloads of cuttings which he grafted onto rootstock and has now planted at his Maresh vineyard on the other side of the hill. Kelley did not produce any 2020 DUX chardonnay due to possible smoke taint, so her first vintage from our fruit was in 2021. She loves the fruit and we love what she crafts from it!

Our pinot noir, by the way, is Pommard and Wadenswil, about 2.5 acres of each. Andy Humphrey is our vineyard manager and his prowess shows in the quality of the grapes that we grow. We are non-irrigated, all organic and in the process of receiving LIVE certification. Our pinot noir now goes to Dobbes Family Estate where they make a vineyard-designated bottling from our fruit, which is also delicious, IMHO.

7 Likes

Very glad to hear this because I have a few bottles which I haven’t tried yet. I did have my first 2021 KF chard - Lark Block Durant Vineyard - and it is my favorite KF chard to date. Just fantastic. I also think the 2021 Mirabai PN is better than the 2019 - which I loved too. Overall every 2021 OR PN or Chard (not just hers) have been off the charts.

2 Likes

@Bweiss started à Walter Scott thread https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/what-walter-scott-wine-are-you-drinking/305673/1with this review. Definitely need to try this vintage!

“Given all the love for Ken and Erica’s wines here on WB, I felt it’s about time they get a dedicated thread to the enjoyment of their wines, much like our other esteemed Oregon producers.

I just took shipment of my fall Walter Scott wines, and as much as I typically let my newly arrived bottles rest for a few weeks to a few months, I simply couldn’t keep my hands off of them and had to crack open a 2022 La Combe Verte Chardonnay to see what’s going on.

Needless to say, the wine is exceptional. There’s the signature gunflint reductive note upfront (which I love, keep on bringing it), which then seamlessly transitions into a fruit and nut medley, showing freshly cut apples, lemon and lime zest, and about a dozen toasty nuts that leave you scrambling trying to find them all. The acid is just perfection here, keeping the wine balanced and long. The finish runs a solid 20-30 seconds revealing notes of candied ginger and crusty flakes of French pastry.

It boggles my mind that this wine is the base offering, and I just think it speaks volumes about Ken and Erica’s talents and commitment to quality, at all price points. I genuinely think this wine competes with white burgundy approaching the $200 mark from some excellent producers.

I’m going to let the X-Novo chards see a couple years in the cellar, and enjoy the hell out of the La Combe Verte in the meantime.“

1 Like

Thanks @David_Patte I was debating creating the new thread because I really love this one, and didn’t want to spread things to far apart, but at the end of the day, I felt there’s more than enough discussion of Walter Scott (Pinot too) to justify its existence and still keep for a lively Oregon Chardonnay dedicated thread.

1 Like

For sure, I think the WScott thread will be great and definitely overdue— appreciate that! I just wanted to be sure that this particular review made it to this thread : )

2 Likes

Here’s another great wine reviewed on the Vincent thread by @John_Telford What Vincent Wine Company Are You Drinking?

“ Vincent Chardonnay Royer 2020 Easy 92pts, Delicious, buy again!

Sight: The 2020 Chardonnay Royer exhibits a pale lemon color in the glass, hinting at its youth and freshness.

Nose: On the nose, it presents a classic bouquet of white flowers, Anjou pear, golden apple, and fresh squeezed lemon. These aromas are med-, clean, and inviting, showcasing the wine’s varietal and regional character.

Palate: The palate is nuanced and beautifully balanced, revealing a distinct sense of wet cold stones, alongside the delightful notes of honeyed lemon zest, pear and lime zest—with a touch of finishing salt. This Chardonnay is complex and while young and high acid is still very enjoyable with a brief decant.

Body: The wine combines strength and finesse in its medium body, showcasing the best of Oregon’s Chardonnay expression.

Acidity: It maintains a refreshing acidity that adds structure and vibrancy to the overall profile, contributing to its well-rounded nature.

Finish: The medium-long finish leaves a lasting impression and holds the promise of continued development with aging potential for 7-10 years.

In summary, the 2020 Royer is a fine representation of Oregon Chardonnay, delivering a complex tasting experience with the potential for further evolution over time. Hold —I like Vincent Chards the best at about the 6-7 year range. Drink now–2030ish Easy 92pts

2 Likes

Vincent’s 2021 Royer Chardonnay is pretty spectacular too. I have a few coming as part of my fall shipment. Tasted it back in June right after bottling, and it’s absolutely beautiful. Great Chardonnay site, and great winemaking.

2 Likes

I agree— I learned about this vineyard through Vincent’s Chard, and later tried the Division version. I now get a couple of tons. Picking early for a Chablis style— my 2022 will be released soon to the mailing list (just 115 cases and several of my distributors want some of the allocation so it will go fast).

3 Likes

Here’s another great TN from Brian @B_Buzzini on this thread https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/tn-2018-goodfellow-family-cellars-chardonnay-durant-vineyard/305841/1

2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (10/12/2023)
The 19 blew me away with its concentrated weightlessness goodness…this 18 is all about subtlety and class! Needs air…first thoughts are cold steel and rain water…comes out quiet and reserved…nothing flashy or attention getting…you just nod your head and acknowledge how suave and cool this dude is! Subtle reduction, crystalline pear and apple fruits with a little squeeze of grapefruit…candied lemon pucker…creamy white flower florals…crushed minerality showing that wonderful dryness and salted spice…really flows in and out slowly and gracefully like the fog by the sea…finishes calm and satisfying…and before you know it, the bottle is empty. Fascinating wine! (95 points)

3 Likes

2018 Patricia Green Cellars Durant Chardonnay

Really a lovely bottle of wine and drinking great. This is all about fruit and minerals rather than matchstick reduction and new oak (which seems to be increasingly popular in Oregon). Odd as this will sound, it reminded me of an Italian white (in the very best way). Perhaps it is the spicy “amaro” and acidity it displays. Delicious with or without food, I find this to be a wine that aims to please rather than be a star attraction. I don’t know its future; I’m not sure that it needs a future. Drink and enjoy.

This was produced from 2016 to 2021. PGC began producing an Estate Chardonnay with the 2021 vintage.

5 Likes

Nice! Curious to know if @Jim_Anderson specifically targets a bit of reduction/struck-match through vinification techniques? (for example some vignerons believe that no battonage will help provide more reduction— not sure that this is the primary cause, but it’s something I hear a lot)

As far as I know the reductive winemaking style employed to get that is something both out of my level of acumen and desire to do. It’s a dedication to a very specific process that begins even before the fruit is picked. I’m not personally a reductive white wine fan (for the most part) so I’m not going to make that style and I’m a part-time Chardonnay maker at most so I’m not going to commit to that level of process. We have now settled on simply making Chardonnay only from the 2 acres we now have at the Estate. First bottling was 2021. No bottling from 2022 as we lost it to the frost.

3 Likes

Dark news. The 2021 is really wonderful stuff. I also realized that you made Durant in 2021 too. So no Chardonnay in 2022 at all?

PS: I really appreciate that you make Chardonnay in a non-reductive style. That are plenty of offerings of that by other producers if one so desires.

1 Like

Oops— I misread Chris’ TN. Thanks— I am totally in line with you on this (similarly, we only make 2 to 2.5 tons — 125 to 135 cases — I don’t purposely want a highly reductive style, but couple of barrels have it this year)

1 Like

There’s accidentally reductive that happens to everyone now and then and then there is the intentional style designed from the get go to produce that telltale reductive nose and palate. First happens because shit happens sometimes in winemaking. The second is a process with specific steps and timing.

4 Likes

It’s not every day or every producer that gives you a handwritten note of gratitude with your fall case of wines. Hat tip to @Will_Hamilton of Violin Wines for that extra classy touch. Can’t wait to enjoy these exceptional wines too. If you haven’t tried them, Will was part of BerserkerDay 14 and if he’s back for 15, they’re a must order in my book (for both the Pinot and the Chardonnay).

11 Likes

Will is awesome and so is Lance is first employee! Great wines too.

4 Likes

100% agree.

5 Likes

Glad they made it safely! Provenance matters and the game is never over until you have wine safely in your cellar. Easier said than done sometimes.

We appreciate the support–enjoy the vino!

Best

Will

2 Likes

Couldn’t help myself and opened a WV Chardonnay on Friday night. I enjoyed the wine while tasting back in June (which is why I bought several), but wow… an extra 6 months in bottle just did wonders to this wine and I had to completely redo my CT review on the wine. So, so good.

5 Likes