All things Oregon Chardonnay

Nice! Curious to know if @Jim_Anderson specifically targets a bit of reduction/struck-match through vinification techniques? (for example some vignerons believe that no battonage will help provide more reduction— not sure that this is the primary cause, but it’s something I hear a lot)

As far as I know the reductive winemaking style employed to get that is something both out of my level of acumen and desire to do. It’s a dedication to a very specific process that begins even before the fruit is picked. I’m not personally a reductive white wine fan (for the most part) so I’m not going to make that style and I’m a part-time Chardonnay maker at most so I’m not going to commit to that level of process. We have now settled on simply making Chardonnay only from the 2 acres we now have at the Estate. First bottling was 2021. No bottling from 2022 as we lost it to the frost.

3 Likes

Dark news. The 2021 is really wonderful stuff. I also realized that you made Durant in 2021 too. So no Chardonnay in 2022 at all?

PS: I really appreciate that you make Chardonnay in a non-reductive style. That are plenty of offerings of that by other producers if one so desires.

1 Like

Oops— I misread Chris’ TN. Thanks— I am totally in line with you on this (similarly, we only make 2 to 2.5 tons — 125 to 135 cases — I don’t purposely want a highly reductive style, but couple of barrels have it this year)

1 Like

There’s accidentally reductive that happens to everyone now and then and then there is the intentional style designed from the get go to produce that telltale reductive nose and palate. First happens because shit happens sometimes in winemaking. The second is a process with specific steps and timing.

4 Likes

It’s not every day or every producer that gives you a handwritten note of gratitude with your fall case of wines. Hat tip to @Will_Hamilton of Violin Wines for that extra classy touch. Can’t wait to enjoy these exceptional wines too. If you haven’t tried them, Will was part of BerserkerDay 14 and if he’s back for 15, they’re a must order in my book (for both the Pinot and the Chardonnay).

11 Likes

Will is awesome and so is Lance is first employee! Great wines too.

4 Likes

100% agree.

5 Likes

Glad they made it safely! Provenance matters and the game is never over until you have wine safely in your cellar. Easier said than done sometimes.

We appreciate the support–enjoy the vino!

Best

Will

2 Likes

Couldn’t help myself and opened a WV Chardonnay on Friday night. I enjoyed the wine while tasting back in June (which is why I bought several), but wow… an extra 6 months in bottle just did wonders to this wine and I had to completely redo my CT review on the wine. So, so good.

5 Likes

This bottle is truly stunning. Eye watering QPR. Also loved it.

2 Likes

I opened a 2022 Walter Scott La Combe Vert last week. It was so tight that it was almost painful to drink. Time to let the balance of them sleep for a year or so.

On the other hand, a 2021 La Combe Vert that I opened tonight was fantastic! Classic citrus nose, with a little matchstick and spice on the palate with great balance and length. It reminded me in a favorable way to a 2020 Lafon Vire-Clesse we had in Beaune a couple weeks ago.

4 Likes

I’m surprised about the ‘22 La Combe Verte…for me it was tight on initial open, but with about 20-30 minutes in the glass it was fully ready to go and outstanding. I also find that Walter Scott Chardonnays perform significantly better at slightly warmer temperatures than your typical white, and if they’re too cool, they actually can feel closed off and perhaps a little tight. Curious what the serving temp was for your bottle?

1 Like

Started out at about 50 degrees and I followed it as it warmed over a couple hours. It certainly calmed down and opened up over time, but IMO, it will be better in a year or so. In the mean time, as many here know, I have plenty of Chardonnay/White Burgundy to drink while waiting for this wine to come around.

2 Likes

I just wanted to give a big shout out to David with Sun Break Wines who just delivered some killer 2022 J Marie Chardonnay from the Royer Vineyard. This is the best Chardonnay I’ve tasted in a long time - possibly ever! The color of light straw with an initial hit of citrus, tart apple and golden pear bright at first then mellowing out mid palate with smooth, light bodied earthy muskness with a touch of minerality and light linger. David has crafted a more bright than buttery Oregon style Chardonnay which I’d pair with some great cheeses and lighter side fruits.

Well done Mr. Patte!

11 Likes

Love seeing this note. Thanks for sharing.

I’m usually not a Chard guy so I was blown away!

Ben

• 2021 Brick House Chardonnay Cascadia - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (11/4/2023)
    I have always had a soft spot for the Brickhouse Cascadia chardonnay, it just clicks with my wine brain for lack of a better term. The 21 version is a very strong candidate for one of the better examples I have had in recent memory. Starts out crisp and refreshing, deceptively simple but good. As it warms, a gorgeous core of minerals emerge, a chalky / tactile quality mid palate, and good thrust of dry extract on the landing. Love this even more with short to mid-term cellaring 3 to 5 years. Excellent. (93 points)
3 Likes

A bit of OR Chardonnay trivia: in 2019 Jim Anderson/PGC got Dijon 76 and Dijon 96 cuttings from Brickhouse vineyard and grafted them onto 20 year old estate PN root stock. 2021 is the first bottling and it is highly recommended by me.

2 Likes

Correct. We decided in 2019 a northeast sloping section of Pinot Noir originally planted in 2000 was just not gaining traction. It just seemed that the wines were earthy to a fault and despite many vintages and many different attempts to elicit something else that this block just wasn’t suited to Pinot Noir. Marcus is growing Chardonnay (obviously successfully) literally right across the fence. Doug was generous enough to provide us with cuttings in the winter of 2019 after he had pruned. We lost the first renewal crop to the fires in 2020 (and the third to the frost in 2022) but the 2021 I think is a nice first effort. I had a bottle kicking around in the fridge and at day 5 of being open it was really hitting a high note that I had not seen before. Seemed to indicate a lot of time may be required.

5 Likes