4x retail blues, perusing this winelist

I almost suggested that as it can be superb & flexible with food. It is however (as so often with Ch. Musar) very different to the mainstream. I’d be happy drinking it.

If this is the Maui one, corkage is illegal/not allowed in Maui county.

1 Like

Can for a magnum of champagne?
9313 laurent-perrier, cuvée rosé, montagne de reims, champagne, nv 330

If you like Jura, this is roughly 2X retail:
1290 françois rousset-martin, savagnin, cuvée du professeur,
côtes du jura, 2016 135

Corkage is permitted in Maui county. The law was changed several years ago.

I think that law was changed in 2018.

According to this thread it was changed in 2014 or earlier …

Maui BYOB? - BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants - WineBerserkers

I’d recommend you don’t touch the Cotat. This is Pascal in 2021, this is nowhere close to being ready to drink. You’ll ask yourself why you paid 200$ for this. If it had 10 years on it, then yeah.

Prices are brutal. I’d try the Dog Point Vineyard Sauvignon knowing it’s too young but interested in what this vintage looks like.

Not sure on the markup for the Foradori Fontanasanta (also very young) or Mastroberardino Greco di Tufo.

Olga Raffault, Les Picasses, 2016. Everyone says it’s not ready but i had a good time drinking this across a Roches Neuves Franc de Pieds. It’s savoury and tasty with a little air. Not sure what the markup is. I really like Xavier Monnot Clos de la Fuissière but that markup is illegal. Ar.Pe.Pe Sassela drinks nicely young so that might work (not sure on markup).

Raul Perez Ultreia St-Jacques is decent but it’s vintage dependant and i haven’t had that 2018.

The list SCREAMS to me “We don’t really want you to buy wine from us.” I would oblige them.

Forced to buy, I’d get the Hebrart brut for $135, which is touch over 2x retail.

4 Likes

I was going to respond with similar advice/warning. I haven’t had any of the Pascal or Francois Cotat 2021’s, so am not speaking from direct experience, but the Pa Cotat LMD 2018 I had last year was still wound pretty tight.

Impossible to answer unless you tell us what you are eating? Eg. The Jura Savagnin looks reasonable if you are getting oysters and other high acid loving food. I would start with a split of sparkling to control costs then think of the type of food you are eating to pair the wine. If you are in the islands I assume some kind of seafood is on the menu, but there are lots of different preps. Big creamy fish dish might be great with an Aussie Chardonnay…

I got my 2016s at retail for under $30.

2 Likes

That’s no longer the case.

1 Like

Considering I’m not going to ask you all from the restaurant and wait for a reply I’ll heed the suggestions and pair accordingly.
Hawaii = seafood

2 Likes

Forgot to check the list for cdp

1 Like

It’s there under ‘Magnums’

1 Like

Great news (11 years later), it has been awhile since I lived there, and usually go to other islands when back

3 Likes

On the sushi menu

2 Likes

GLASS LIST!

Lots of interesting stuff, not insane pricing, get to try a bunch of different stuff (an obsession of mine):
For the price of an average bottle on this insane list, how about one glass each of:
Billecart-Salmon and/or Albrecht Alsace Rose
Lageder Pinot Grigio and/or Sancerre
Chitry and/or Grgich Chardonnay
Brun Beaujolais and/or Lioco Pinot
Saint Cosme Syrah
Peju Cab and/or Cantemerle

Dan Kravitz

3 Likes

The Brundlmayer Riesling Lyra is exceptional, in an outstanding vintage, and actually reasonably priced on a resto list.

Not much with bottle age under $500, but:
2005 Lagrange $315
2006 Beaucastel $250
2014 Vocal PN SCM $120 (don’t know it, but would happily try it)
2008 Montelena Cab $395
2009 Langoa-Barton $290

Why not go to a food truck instead?

Dan Kravitz