375s

2014 Estate Vineyard Etzel Block. Bottled 60 twelve packs of 375s.

[drops the mike, exits stage left]

No splits are 375s.

Or 2 splits are 375.

1ml short.

Everyone should buy two 375s so they can open two bottles when they don’t have company. I have a bunch from an order we did from a restaurant that changed its mind. They’re useful if you’re opening a lot of wine at one sitting and you want to store some of it. But if you’re having dinner alone, you will want two of them because after all, one is not going to be enough.

I know they’re labeled 187ml, but I wonder if the law dictates that a producer must round down so as not to overstate the amount of product. I don’t know, and probably don’t care, but…

Split Bottles
A split bottle is a quarter of a standard 750 ml bottle of wine, or 187.5 ml. Though you can find a few more expensive bottles of wine sold in splits, this size is mostly used for Champagne and sparkling wine. [http://wine.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Wine_Bottle_Sizes]

And another source.

Wine Bottle Sizes Chart

187.5 ml Piccolo or Split: Typically used for a single serving of Champagne.

375 ml Demi or Half: Holds one-half of the standard 750 ml size.

750 ml Standard: Common bottle size for most distributed wine.

1.5 L Magnum: Equivalent to two standard 750 ml bottles.

3.0 L Double Magnum: Equivalent to two Magnums or four standard 750 ml bottles.

4.5 L Jeroboam (still wine): Equivalent to six standard 750 ml bottles.

6.0 L Imperial: Equivalent to eight standard 750 ml bottles or two Double Magnums.

9.0 L Salmanazar: Equivalent to twelve standard 750 ml bottles or a full case of wine!

12.0 L Balthazar: Equivalent to sixteen standard 750 ml bottles or two Imperials.

15.0 L Nebuchadnezzar: Equivalent to twenty standard 750 ml bottles.

a Burgundy jeroboam is the same size as a double magnum. A strange exception.

Truett. Exactly 375s can be referred to as halfs and 187.5s as quarters or splits.

When I used the term 375s I meant 375s.

Call it timing, but just got an offer for 375 ML bottles and magnums of Hobel.

I just ordered a 3 pack thanks to this thread champagne.gif

Then why are mags always more than double?

At full retail this is true. But over the years I’ve gotten some unbelievable close out type deals on .375’s. This time last year I picked up some “shitty” 2011 Roar halfs for $5 bucks.

Mag pricing has been discussed on here before. Mags are priced more on perceived value rather than a cost plus model. There are exceptions of course, but generally you’ll pay more for something that is rare.

Sinskey PN and PB. We buy both and enjoy both.

Cheers,
Curt

Keep the list of wineries coming. I don’t see a lot of American wineries listed…

I can add Dominus.

For US reds:

Opus One
Tablas Creek Rhone blend
Patz and Hall Pinot
Alexander Vineyards Zin and Cab
Duckhorn Merlot
St Innocent Pinot
Morgan Syrah
Jaffurs as previously mentioned.

Yes please!!!

Well, if you figured out your “right price” for a 375mL offering and then sold your 750mLs at double that, you might just clear some extra profit and meet expectations on the half for half price equation strawman . Or, you get burned at the stake for overcharging on your dominant form-factor. At some point, the cost of materials aside from the wine will be small enough, I’d expect you can meet in the middle and still do good business.

Cheers,
fred

Two corks instead of one. Two boxes instead of one. Two labels instead of one. A 375 ML bottle does not cost half that of a 750 ML. In fact due to supply and demand and economies of scale they can cost far more. There is no way to economically have a 375 ML bottle be half the price of a 750 ML.[/quote]

Well, if you figured out your “right price” for a 375mL offering and then sold your 750mLs at double that, you might just clear some extra profit and meet expectations on the half for half price equation strawman . Or, you get burned at the stake for overcharging on your dominant form-factor. At some point, the cost of materials aside from the wine will be small enough, I’d expect you can meet in the middle and still do good business.

Cheers,
fred[/quote]

That would be great. I will let my tiny margins know that we can cut into them more and be fine or inform everyone we are going with a price increase which our distributors love to hear.

The reality of what gets charged for certain items on small margins is what it is. Half bottle cost more than half.