3 days, 5 visits (Napa)

Ok, here’s the scenario: You have three days to make five quality, and hopefully, intimate visits. You’ve been going to Napa once or, more likely, two times a year for a about a week (not all of the time there is spent making winery visits) over the past 20 years; you’d like to visit some new(er) names. You cut your teeth on Far Niente, Chateau Montelena (both are wines you’ll have from time to time even now) back in the day, but these days you like Scarecrow, Seavey, Roy Piper, etc. You’re comfortable with bottles $75-$350, and you’ve no problem at all with tasting room fees; sometimes you’ll grab a case(s) of something(s) you really, really like. Your time horizon is not as long as some (this visit will fall during your 63rd birthday celebration), so not looking for current release Dunn Howell Mtn [snort.gif]

So, at your age you realize you’re not one of the cool kids any more, but you’d like to see what they’re up to/drinking.

Your thoughts/help are much appreciated. FWIW, I believe I’m going to suggest Momento Mori and/or Mending Wall to my friends, as it’s gotten some love here in the past. If the love has faded, please let me know.

1 Like

Tim…So sounds like this is for a friend. In terms of “old guard,” Shafer and Pride both offer nice visits for a reasonable fee if not on their lists. Since it sounds like your friends may not be on the lists of highly-allocated wineries, a couple more that come to mind are Outpost and Biale. Perhaps Cliff Lede too.

1 Like

Not sure if this is what you’re after, but recent additions to my running short list of Napa wineries to visit are:
Dirty & Rowdy
Kinsman
Beta
Dakota Shy/MacDonald
Detert
Cornell
LaPelle

• don’t know anything about visiting these wineries, except that for the next trip I’ll investigate them.

Recent standout visits for me to “relatively” new wineries:
Pott
Outpost

Time to switch gears and drink wines that are ready now, or in the short term.

Hardy Wallace - Dirty and Rowdy/Clothing Optional
Scott Schultz - Jolie-Laide
John Lockwood - Enfield Wine Co.
Massimo and Erin Di Costanzo - Di Costanzo Wines
All the extra money you save can be spent on the Helicopter flight to Screagle.

2 Likes

they have visited, at least once, all of these places already. Thanks, Adam

“Since it sounds like your friends may not be on the lists of highly-allocated wineries” – they are not

MACDONALD.

Are they open to the general public?

This was the thinking in my initial response (ie, not include places where you are not already on the list, but perhaps could still schedule a visit). With that in mind, have heard great things from friends who have visited Forman. Another fun visit is with Kelly at Switchback Ridge…great wines too. A couple more worth seeing if they would host if not on their lists are Realm and Rivers-Marie.

With the caveat that it’s been 30 years since I paid close attention to Napa, but isn’t Matthiasson the obvious answer? Lots of people I know with very traditional preferences are fans.

And, Tim, when are we going to hear from you on the 2016 Brunelli?

Robert Craig atop Howell Mountain
Lail
Rivers Marie
MacDonald
DiCostanzo

but I would do at least one more over 3 days…
Roy Piper

And I would also find time for a quick visit some of my favorite places
Anderson Conn. Valley
Turnbull
Beringer
Larkmead
Schramsberg

Recently back from an epic trip, happy to provide suggestions and help where I can (PM me if interested) but there needs to be a little more info on personality and wine profile preferences.

-is ambience important or just the wine
-is the experience important or just ambience or wine
-more of a old world palate
, in between or new world
-enjoy fruit forward in your face wines as long as there is the complexity to back it up
-etc

OP mentioned Seavey so not sure if you he visited there but they’re just down the road from Anderson’s and the two make a great wine tasting day. Beautiful area and both excellent wine tasting experiences. We plan on doing those two again this summer. Bring a picnic lunch to eat at ACVV in between tastings, beautiful setting.

MACDONALD does not have any tasting facilities on the property, but as I understand it, and from what I experienced, if you’re on their list you can email Alex and he’ll give you a tour of the property and give a tasting.

1 Like

Will share a few I’ve liked from my recent visit:

• Gamble. Old world-ish. Very intimate and pleasant tasting experience. Pretty much just hang out with a staff member for 90 mins and they’ll pour you whatever you’d like within reason. We tasted a couple flights, got repours, and they popped a couple library wines. Can visit the vineyards, barrel room, etc.

• Cardinale. If you’re looking for wine in higher price points this is a great option. Fairly new world, but reasonably balanced. Tastings are $100, but waved with a bottle purchase

-Continuum. Also a good option in the Cardinale price range

• outpost. Been mentioned already so will simply second this

-EMH. I haven’t tasted here, but the wines are great and old world ish. Plus Merrill is a board member. I believe I’ve heard tastings are in her living room on another thread.

1 Like

Continuum is a nice visit! Bryant if your on the list, Same for Eisele. Joseph Phelps is always nice as well.

1 Like

Was going to visit Promontory but COVID did away with that. Heard it’s one of the nicest visits in Napa.

O by far. One of the best visits and the best wine I’ve ever had!

Tasting fee is $200/person, correct? What do they give you to taste.

Dude, you know and I know, we were never part of the cool kids. neener

Vintage Tasting
Spring Mountain Winery - Library tasting, current release back to wines from the 90s and even 80s. They usually pour the epic 2001, which is lights out!

Beckstoffer Tasting
B Cellars - Reserve “heritage” tasting, the line-up of their Beckstoffer wines. Usually current release, but the experience is pretty amazing!

Next Level Tasting
Hundred Acre - a buddy recently got a tasting, so I assume they are now starting that program for buyers. Always a no, until you ask.