2024 Grape Growing and Weather Thread

Yes, just a few lingering little drizzles around. Seems like most of wine country, particularly norcal got normal rain, nothing unusual. The atmospheric river was over Santa Barbara, and even more LA, which got hammered. Though I drove through both today on my way south, and both were beautiful. Whatever damage there was is localized to small areas that are prone to flooding, or some saturated hillsides.

We don’t get the widespread floods I associate with the midwest.

1 Like

Looks like another 2-3" for Ventura county starting this weekend

1 Like

Looks like it’s your turn for folks further North

Yes - quite a bit of rain but over a few days so not all at once. Looks like it will be nice weather for Premiere Napa Valley later next week.

So here are the rain totals in Napa County thru midnight Sunday 2/18. Suppose to rain/shower thru Wednesday morning.

1 Like

How are yearly totals looking after the latest storm?

Most of southern California and parts of central California have already received more than 100% of annual average. Northern California is a bit less wet, mostly well over average for year to date but more like 75-90% of annual average.

My area is a bit behind for year to date, but mainly because the official rain gauge wasn’t working for part of a couple of storms. I think it would otherwise be around average for year to date.

-Al

1 Like

2/3 of an inch more, we’ll be 100% in Berkeley

1 Like

I saw a story in the Press Democrat about Wildcat Mtn vineyard near Petaluma experiencing budbreak due to the warm storms.

1 Like

I saw that article, too. A little warm weather and the stress will be about frost and shatter. I’m sure you miss it! :slight_smile:

-Al

Miss it like a cold sore!

2 Likes

Karen
Will you be at the premiere event at cia?

1 Like

Yes - we are Lot #27. 5 case lot. Will you be there? If so, stop by and taste with us.

Great meeting you at PNV yesterday - thanks for stopping by to taste!

It’s finally warming up! We got four days, straight, of dry weather. It has been raining every day , it seems, since Nov 15. This feels like the “old school” Humboldt, where it rains almost every day for 8 months. We historically get little breaks, but consistent rain from Nov 1 until mid June. It’s hard to get the pruning done as pruning during the rain encourages the spread of disease.
The buds are advanced though… as it’s been a relatively warm and wet winter… no snow, very little hard freeze.
In other news they have been dismantling the four dams above us on the Klamath River. So… 10’s of years of sludge and muck at the bottom of the lakes caused by the dams is being flushed out. Imagine the putrid mud… anaerobic. They say it’ll take two to three years to flush it all out but we’re happy to get a really rainy year to begin the process. Hopefully this will lead to the return of strong Salmon runs and a more natural and healthy river system.

4 Likes

Likewise Karen. I’ve always enjoyed your participation on this forum and even more so think you are doing excellent job with wines

Forecast is the upcoming storm will mitigate the low snowpack, for what is shaping up to be a good water year for California*

*Hats off to anthropogenic global warming as always :wink:

2 Likes

The snowpack has already caught up quite a bit since the New Year, this will definitely help more.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/california-storms-sierra-snowpack-levels-18682782.php

-Al

3 Likes

Snowstorms over?

I think worst is over, but likely some additional snow (looks like small amounts).

-Al

1 Like