2024 Grape Growing and Weather Thread

We are catching up on rain here in Southern Humboldt. It rained 5 inches on Saturday. Some road flooding. It looks like we are on track.

2 Likes

Still raining?

I think Santa Rosa is near normal for year to date, but not quite there. North of them is probably a little ahead of normal. San Francisco Bay Area is a bit behind normal, mostly in the 70-90% of normal range, Santa Lucia area probably similar. Paso appears to be ahead of normal by a modest amount, most of the area south of there is similar. Still half the rainy season to come, though.

-Al

1 Like

Yes, it is still raining with very few lulls.

1 Like

Pretty good storm system starting yesterday evening, 1 to 3 inches in large parts of the north an central coast. Russian River is flooded in areas, some roads washed out. My area received 1.25”, first decent rain in a while, will get us close to normal for year to date (roughly 85%).

-Al

1 Like

Everyone up to average for the year’s rainfall?

Death Valley is way ahead of normal. Southern CA is doing a bit better, most places are within 10-20% of year to date, a few are not quite there (Salinas). Supposedly a lot of rain coming midweek although pretty warm so may not be good for snowpack.

-Al

1 Like

Report I just saw indicates about 2-3 inches of rain on Wedneday and continuing into later in the week. Nice weekend, and another batch coming in Monday to Thursday next week.

:crossed_fingers:t2:Hope the weather holds for the weekend, as our Atlas Peak businesses (tasting rooms, art galleries, etc) kick off the valley-wide Mustard Festival on Saturday and Sunday.

1 Like

Two storms on deck, possibly heavy in So Cal

1 Like

Should be pretty heavy in N California as well (at least the storm later on Wed into Thurs, haven’t followed the other).

-Al

1 Like

Just read a story that Lake Shasta is approaching a milestone it hasn’t reached in seven years: being full to the point of flowing over its spillover.

2 Likes

Just got a weather update - Napa now expecting 3-4 inches from the Wednesday/Thursday storm. There will be some flooding from this one in the usual areas. Anyone hear what’s expected for the Russian River area?

1 Like

RRV expected to be similar, imagine the usual areas will flood.

-Al

1 Like

We are hearing the same in RRV. What’s weird is they’re saying that there is only a 30% chance of the river going over its banks.

1 Like

Batten the hatches

1 Like

Pounding rain overnight and very gusty winds in Coombsville. We had one gust over 56mph that blew over our BBQ grill. I can only imagine what the winds are like in the mountains. Expecting another 1-2 inches of rain today also.

1 Like

We got about 2.7 inches of rain at the house and a top gust of 62mph. Power is on for us. Tasting room seems to have faired well - just some plants knocked over and our internet is back up today. Our tasting room is on the same grid as the hospital, so that helps when there are power issues in Napa.

Looks like Central and Southern California got a lot more rain and flooding. Hopefully Larry posts an update soon.

1 Like

5.7" / 24hr in our part of Ventura county, but West LA / Brentwood got 10"! Forecast for more rain through Tues, though much slower rate. Outside our usual roof leak and vineyard erosion (mitigated with extra sandbags recently), we lived to dry out another day. However we did move our brumating tortoise :turtle: from his subterranean lair to a box in the garage due to flooding.

We are now at 15" season to date, which is about the typical total for the year. That said it is El Nino and some long-range forecasts are calling for sequence of storms upcoming

2 Likes

Lots of trees down all over the state. This is at my old job

1 Like

Storms over?