2019 Grosser Ring Auctions

Keller Kabi - 550 and 4550 mag

Absolutely true!

Yeah, just heard that too! Amazing prices even if it is a world class Kabinett…

Any news about the Bad Kreuznach Auction? Curious about the price for the Doennhoff TBA 2015…

1020 half, 2750 bottle, 18,000(!) magnum

Anyone know what the schafer frohlich ba went for (17)?

260 I think.

Way over estimate. I guess not surprising if there was in general low excitement for 2018.

NWTT.

Tom, I don’t think the producers keep back serious quantities for resale, though it is allowed as you mention. Indeed some producers put extra bottles in to a lot, use their entire supply. The retail stores offering auction wines are buying them at the auction.

Also I don’t think Schaefer send ‘most’ of the production to auction, though perhaps more than most given their relative size. They only sold about 800 bottles this year.

The auctions are a niche within a niche, and are not all about the big stars. Indeed, if you remove three lots my average purchase price this year was under €40 a bottle for ~24-36 bottles.

I agree with Russell that most producers don’t seem to be holding back large stocks. I’ve tried to purchase auction wines from past vintage from producers and haven’t been successful. Furthermore, it’s my sense that these are economically important events to the producers. I have not knowledge of anyone’s financial situation, but the sense I get in the room is they getting a meaningful price for a year’s worth of labor for this bottles are meaningful from a financial perspective. Maybe not, but this isn’t the Napa auction scene.

Personally, I love the auctions. It’s an amazing opportunity to taste world class wines and buy that at your exact determination of value - no more or less. I’m buying to drink so I don’t have to think about resale value, and outside of Egon and Keller the wines in 750 are generally cheap on a relative basis.

Hi Alex, I didn’t follow last year’s auction and was told 95 euros, but I guess this price includes taxes and commissions. Ok, so it is indeed only marginally cheaper.
Still, your remarks surprised me and just went to check what MFW wrote about this wine in the two last vintages and they gave the edge to 2018 (96) over 2017 (95). The other way around for the Auslese GK.
I wouldn’t give much importance to a one-point difference, but your remark sounds like there was a much more significant quality difference between the two last vintages for these wines.

Alex is right on the prices, the 2017 Willi Schaefer Riesling Spätlese Graacher Domprobst went for € 75,- ex (= € 95,- including 19% German VAT) last year and the 2017 Willi Schaefer Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel for € 80,- ex in halves last year and € 170,- ex for 750ml bottles…My personally I agree with Alex and Russell and not with MFW regarding the 2018 (in general)!

Yes - they liked the auction spatlese quite a bit this year, as did Selbach. I had the luxury of tasting so I’m just forming my own subjective opinions of each wine, but if you can’t get over there then you could certainly do a lot worse than relying on Jean and David. Of course, if you were relying on their scores, you’d likely ignore the auction wines altogether and focus on the G-D auslese 14, as that got the highest score for considerably less money.
A

Alex and David, thank you for your replies.
Personally, I do not buy much at auctions, just a few bottles of producers I know and like, so I don’t rely on scores for deciding about what to buy.
But I do hope to be able to participate once, especially for being able to taste the wines, and in particular some very special ones. I hope next year…

We should organize if you plan on doing this! I’d also be interested in joining, only living 40 minutes from Trier.

Absolutely! Is the date known already?

I just saw what the Schloss Lieser Doctor Mags sold for 700 Euros! Wow! Has anyone tasted the wine? I was never a big fan of Liesers GGs and put in a low estimate for this I was way off! Is the auction bottling different from the 17 GG that is selling for $60 per 750?

There was a lot of demand for these 21 Magnums and there were only…21 Magnums! That’s why the price exploded probably, otherwise it is the same wine as the Doctor GG always is. For the 2018, the Doctor GG in 750ml is only sold in a Terroir Kiste containing:
-1 bottle of 2018 Doctor GG
-1 bottle of 2018 Wehlener Sonnenuhr GG
-1 bottle of 2018 Himmelreich GG
-1 bottle of 2018 Niederberg Helden GG
-1 bottle of 2018 Juffer Sonnenuhr GG
-1 bottle of 2018 Goldtröpfchen GG
All 6 wines are personally signed from the winemaker and owner Thomas Haag.

So the only two ways of buying the 2018 Schloss Lieser Doctor GG were:

1. buying the Terroir Kiste
  2. buying one of the 21 Magnums via the Auction

Thanks. I would be curious to try some of his GG’s from 18. Early on I was not a fan but I could say that for a lot of Mosel dry wines that I now like.