2016 Hubert Lignier Morey St Denis 1er VV - best sub $200 burgundy out there?

Kinda the whole point of the thread, to see other people’s opinions on other wines that are readily available at under $200 on wine searcher that they think are the best in that category.

Feel free to list examples for others to try that qualify as best for your taste.

1 Like

No one said it was a daily drinker. Just a category to choose from and people to give their suggestions on.

Curious to learn if you find it better than a few of the other well known producers sub $200 Cote de Nuits bottlings such as:

Mugnier Marechale
Roumier Bussiere
Dujac MSD 1er

Yes! Sometimes they’re quite oaky but sometimes they’re absolutely wonderful. A And, at the price and given the quality of the fruit he gets/got, it’s a gamble well worth taking imho, especially since the hit rate with Burgundy remains…less than ideal. :slight_smile:

And actually the 2006 CdlR I had from him last year was spectacular. Burgundy. shrug champagne.gif

Yes! I do like the dujac msd 1er as well and it’s cheaper than the lignier but if it’s just one wine I’ll rest my hat on it’d be the lignier.

Supposedly ‘02 Hubert Lignier MSD 1er VV is the best of them all, it’s also one of the hardest wine to source, took me almost 2 years just to secure a 6-pack. Wines just in, yet to open any. I think for the first 15 to 20 year, this bottling is better the CdlR.

Sadly with this thread, securing this bottling would be even more difficult in the future.

+1

There is an excellent thread on less expensive Burgundies. Consolidated off-the-beaten-path Burgundy TNs - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers I never thought that this thread was meant to duplicate that one.

I don’t know. People are saying it. Nothing anyone should pay attention too. Definitely second class…

Didn’t know that. That would have been Romain/Hubert then right? Found a case at an auction this year and paid a hair over the OP price limit. I’ll make a point to open one soon.

Incidentally the 2016 is a stunningly gorgeous wine and clearly a step up from the already killer 2015.

The Roumier is generally above $200 and is an idiosyncratic wine anyway. The Mugnier is very good, just not as good within the parameters the OP set. The Dujac is shrug emoji for me, but it’s not something I drink regularly or hunt down.

Given that all my favorites are above $200, I’m moving towards begrudgingly admitting Fu might be correct here given the very limited parameters that he has set out. I do have a producer in my back pocket, but I think I’m weird in my taste for them.

Fortunately, Lignier has been around a long time and I have a long relationship with Rosenthal so my allocation won’t be effected.

Wow! The 1990 in magnum! That wine is a legend. I have a strong fondness for the 1993, the first vintage that I bought. Lignier’s 1993s were amazing.

What happened with the Ligniers was really sad and I find it a little off-putting that people are intimating that the wines are taking a step up. They aren’t, they’re climbing back to where Hubert and Romain had the wines for decades before a serious of terrible events derailed the domain.

‘02 was made by Romain, I think he was the winemaker until ‘04 vintage.

Lucky you to secure one case of ‘02. I did manage to get a case of ‘01 MSD 1er VV years ago, opened 3/12 so far, and every bottle was mighty good.

The Lignier MSD VV is indeed delicious. Some of my favorites in the $150-200 range:

Back-vintage Jadot Beze
Clavelier C-M 1er ‘Combe d’Orveaux’
Bruno Clair Cazetiers
Chevillon LSG
Gouges LSG
Lafarge 1ers
Mugneret-Gibourg Chaignots and Feusselottes

Clearly you don’t follow Fu’s IG… I chuckled as well, wondering why Sir Fu decided to wander into the commoner’s realm to have a measly <$200 1er cru - must be in the name of science and learning…

The trip down commoner lane must’ve tired him out, as he quickly retired to his chambers with some McD filet o’fish, and some Keller Gmax/Krug CdM. :wink:

Fu I agree with you that the Lignier MSD VV of late is super terrific.

I think there a few other greats of late. Trapet has been blistering lately. Lafon Santenots has been on fire. M-G Chaignots, Bachelet Corbeaux, Dujac, combottes, msd, Chambolle

…it’s a fun exercise!

1 Like

A wow wine…for a Gevrey villages. Blackish fruits; dry but the texture of a sirop and the concentration to match. I’ve had several 1999 villages reds over the last few months to see where things are with this vintage…and, frankly, I’m wowed, more so than I expected. A Daniel (Patrice) Rion Vosne villages was very much in the style of this one, albeit with the reddish and more beguiling/seductive character of Vosne vs. Gevrey. Both were just delicious and fruity, with no signs of need to further age them, though they will doubtlessly last and last. Nice to see, frankly…and a Georges Mugneret VR this spring was their equal. The surprise , to me, given their concentration and fruit, covering the obvious structure, is how tasty they are now, given the vintage’s overcropping. (Of course, these are, IMO, top producers’ villages examples.) The wine was a little tight at first, but…with abundant aeration, blossomed. (FWIW, the Rion was much more open from the start, not surprisingly, given the village.)

I’m really looking forward to trying some 1er crus from 1999 starting in 2020. I suspect they will be even better…but…that will really be somthing if they are. These 1999s are 1990-like…a big compliment IMO.

I don’t think any of these are at the level of the Lignier VV.

All of these are > $200.

It’s a difficult and somewhat depressing exercise.

As is often the case, these threads are extremely educational in terms of things I put on my list of things to try, and very bad for my wallet. newhere

1 Like

Dang Nathan, that is depressing!

Bachelet '15 was $164 for me and '16 was $171… have not prices '17s yet scared to look.
Same for Chaignots M-G… scared to look at 2017 dang it!
I wouldn’t bicker over the Lafon, but I do love them. Have you tried what Trapet is doing lately?