2013 Kosta Browne Varietals out

Anyone got any info or knowledge on what to expect from 13 Pinots

If anyone has done any barrel tasting love to hear thoughts on the three bottlings

With all the add ons this now $75 a bottle, im just not convinced its unique enough for that, i know its well made and always enjoyable just that after a few years it never really surprises

I am a long time KB lister. I still buy Chardonnay but don’t touch the Pinots any more. My palate has shifted and I find them overly alcoholic and not suitable for food. I have not heard of any change in house style so I am assuming that they will be big bold wines, very well made, in a style I no longer prefer.

How long has it been since you bought and tasted the Pinots, David? I agree some of their wines from the early 2000’s were on the big side but I think they have steadily decreased alcohol and, to me, are certainly appropriate for food pairings. But to answer Alan’s inquiry, last year we barrel tasted some of the Cirq, but I don’t think we tasted the '13 KB’s. I bought my allocation.

Bought mine today.

How was the Cirq from the barrel Bruce?

Did anyone else have their allocation decreased? I’ve always bought my entire allocation but saw it cut 33% this year. Smaller crop?
It’s ok, just more money for other wine. champagne.gif

Still on the fence about buying this year. Already bought a bunch of pinots off mailers this season, and for ~$75 all in I’m thinking my money would be better spent on Rhys and/or more R-M.

The chard is available local at release price, so I’ll likely skip the white, just not sure about the red.

My allocation was cut but I’m only purchasing the Chard this year. Like others, I’m focusing on other pinots like Rhys and a few others.

I’m having the same internal debate. It has been ongoing for the past few years as my palate has changed. The KB’s still have their place - I’m not sure what I’m going to do.

Curious - how much is the chardonnay going for these days for club members?

Cheers!

$58

$58

Same as what I ordered last year (I believe - I may have ordered only 2 chard, but got 4 this year).

I think I was offered one less RRV. I was not offered any SLH this year or last- don’t know why as I am sure I was before.

As for the Cirq, I like it. I’ve bought the two vintages offered- I don’t think the '12’s have shipped yet. I had a bottle of the '11 which I enjoyed in a restaurant with two others who were ITB. It was decanted but drank right away. My more knowledgable friends thought it was mononote. It was also popped and poured in a restaurant. This was around Christmas 2013. I thought it was similar to many Gaps Crown wines I’d had before (yes, I know it’s not a Gaps Crown - just a comparison point). Earlier that same day, we tasted at the winery. I think the '12 already tasted ready and maybe even more open than the '11 did later that night. Am looking forward to my delivery but I’ll let it sleep a bit.

I believe Michael suggested waiting 3 years to open a 2011 Cirq,
So far, I’ve succeeded.

Oh… and I bought my entire KB allocation - 24 bottles.

My allocation matches EXACTLY what I bought last spring.

I also have no SLH - 6 RRV, 7 Sonoma, and 6 Chard. - not sure why some people get SLH and some don’t. Also - no offers for single vineyard yet.

Same for me, I got allocated the exact bottles I bought last spring, even though I had bought more than that the previous two winters at least. Though I can wish list more of any of them - no idea whether I’d get them, but my gut says yes.

Interesting that the alcohol is lower (14.2%) on the SLH than on the two Sonomas (both 14.5%), and the acidity is higher on the SLH as well. I would have assumed the opposite.

Same here. Plus the prices stayed exactly the same: $64/bottle per Pinot & $58/bottle per Chard.

Anyone know if amount you buy in the Spring has any impact on what you are offered in the Fall?

My sense is that the same thing is going to happen with your fall purchase. E.g. if you bought one bottle each of Gap’s, Keefer and Koplen last year, you’ll probably get allocated those three bottles this year.

But I think if you buy everything you are allocated, then you probably get a bigger allocation next year.