001 Vintners Innaugural Release - Graeme MacDonald Winemaker

Well, I’m sitting at the “Securely Place Order” page. Do I want to spend $762 on three bottles of Napa cab?

Not that I’m doubting it’s very good, but sort of a gut check. I rarely buy wines at this price point.

Part of me thinks it would be nice to get in on the ground floor of something like that while the price isn’t (quite) insane yet. But then that would mean making this purchase (and likely at a slightly higher cost each year) annually.

Talk to me, Berserkers.

2 Likes

I think you will feel happy either way
There is always Commerce Corner if you dont like the wine and change your mind…

1 Like

I feel the same way. Ended up pulling the trigger though. I imagine given the winemaker here this will end up being hard-ish to get in a few vintages. I dont have any personal experience with this wine or vineyard. But reading the Vinous review, sounds like a high potential wine that will take a few vintages to iron out. So yeah, I guess the way to think about it is you’re probably overpaying for this bottle but you’ll probably get access to future releases that may at some point be worth more than the list price.

1 Like

I’m with you. I fight this feeling as well. I think it has to do with not just this purchase, but like you stated, ongoing purchases. FOMO is strong and real. I think I’m starting to lean into the feeling of freedom that comes from being off all lists and just buying what I want when I want it. I like being my own boss!:sunglasses:

3 Likes

FOMO is really the thing here. Am I afraid of kicking myself the next decade that I didn’t get in on the “next Macdonald” or something like that?

Hell, the (cheapest) shipping and sales tax are $87. Not sure this is my lane.

1 Like

I’m on the fence as well. Would be open to splitting an allocation if someone is open to it.

If it helps, I passed. $225 is usually out of my range, and even with some exceptions lately, need to reel myself back in.

Part of my decision was based on the fact that this new project is starting with 2 good Napa vintages the 2019 and then 2021. Would be a harder ask if that wasnt the case.

4 Likes

This was my logic as well paired with the opportunity to join a Macdonald wine list at the beginning made sense to me. Order #265 :smiley:

3 Likes

What kind of berserker would I be if I didn’t buy from a list I forgot joining the same month I joined the cellar reduction support club?

In all seriousness, the combination of vineyard, vintage, vintner, and strong recommendation from another winemaker I respect made this a somewhat easier decision, and I don’t think I’ll be disappointed with having the 2019, 2021, and maybe through 2023 (depending on what 2022 looks like and how they approach prices on each release).

6 Likes

Having had MacDonald wine with Alex MacDonald at his vineyard plus the vineyard 001 comes from = easy purchase, though I am (like others) trying to reel myself back in from these $200+ wines.

1 Like

In for a 3 pack based on Roy Piper rec!

I hope my kids like it in 20 years! LOL

2 Likes

Samesies

Just woke up in Tokyo (biz trip) and placed an order. Was worried that it would be sold out at this point, but I got a 3 pack (the 2x 3pack was still available as was the mag). Order #434
I don’t love the price point, but since I’m already buying MacDonalds and Blankiet, I might as well go for the Graeme trifecta!

1 Like

so if one assumes average order size at 4 1/2 bottles and assumes 434 is the actual number of orders that means 4.5 x 434 = 1,934 bottles sold so far vs total produced of 307 x 12 = 3,684 so a little over half sold out. course probably higher than that cause I’m not counting magnums or whatever they elect to hold back. Seems like a good first day! Looking forward to my 3 bottles!

So not one to open the day it arrives, eh? I’m still drinking through my stash of early ‘90s Forman cabs. When you say “slightly” when would you suggest someone might first consider checking in (realizing that yes, we’ll soon be five years post-vintage)? TIA.

I bought a 3 pack of this because “In Graeme we Trust”, but mainly because of Roy’s glowing recommendation. And then later in the day, I ended up buying 2 bottles of 1990 Pichon Baron at auction for roughly the same price per bottle.

Hmmm….maybe this post belongs in the “Is Bordeaux the best QPR “ thread.

6 Likes

I too joined the list ages ago and then forgot about it. Stared at the offer a moment, then deleted. Victory over irrational desire!

Am I evolving into a more Berserker FOMO-resistant version of myself? Hah, I doubt it. But: I have a goal to buy zero US wine this year. Combination of significant loss of interest in the wines relative to other parts of the world, a hideously over-full cellar, awareness that at 60 I should be slowing buying. and a concomitant major effort to just buy less.

We’ll see. But for today, I resist. I’m sure the wine’s awesome. No I won’t look at the web site to see if it’s sold out.

Funny, same price as the 2020 Pergole Torte I just picked up. I wonder how they would compare?

Ok I checked. Not sold out. Hmm, I wonder what shipping would be? Not going to look. Not buying. Holding out.

4 Likes

I’m in a similar boat, minus the loss of interesting in US wine.

Signed up for 001 when @Roy_Piper originally mentioned it, but I’ve got the cellar problem both my home storage and both off-site storage facilities full while I’m sitting here in my mid-50’s, passing the prime of my own drinking abilities. I’m supposed to be on a moratorium and I couldn’t justify adding three more expensive bottles from an unknown producer that I’ll have to store for another 10 years before I could drink them. Was a sad moment, as I admit that buying wine with the anticipation of drinking it in the future is a lot of fun.

Plus Roy himself will have an offer coming up, and I’m less likely to say no to that. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I feel this dilemma. For me this was an easy purchase with the combo of winemaker, vineyard, vintage, & Roy’s recommendation. But that’s also because I don’t look at the fact that I bought it as locking me in to all of the upcoming offerings. There are a couple similar projects that I jumped in, and grabbed a couple vintages of and dipped out.

3 Likes