001 Vintners Innaugural Release - Graeme MacDonald Winemaker

I had the pleasure to recently to sit down with Jack Bittner, GM of 001 Vintners and taste the 2019 001 Vintners Cabernet.

It was stunning! A little background on the wine:

The grapes are sourced from the Ecotone Vineyard, which most will remember was the vineyard source for the Abreu Thorevilos Cab. The team from 001 has secured what are essentially the exact same rows/blocks used in the production of that wine, and they have enlisted Graeme MacDonald as the winemaker.

The wine is mainly cabernet, with I believe around 13% cab franc. Graeme’s style of winemaking has really allowed the site to shine through in this bottle. While there is amazing structure, it is much more approachable than the style preferred by Abreu.

I believe the production is modest, around 300 cases, and the most incredible part is that the inaugural release price is going to be eye-openly modest!!! Unlike other new wine releases that have come out of the gate in the $350+ price range, this is going to be an amazing must buy!

I think this could be the most exciting new project we have seen in quite some time out of Napa, with a vineyard and wine making pedigree that is at the top of the Napa structure.

I am super excited for this one!

11 Likes

When is the release date?

I really love the Impensata’s Merlot blend from Ecotone. Really looking forward to seeing what Graeme can do with this site.

Great info Alex. Glad I signed up early and looking forward to trying this one!

1 Like

Does anyone have any insight on pricing ?

I was able to taste this last week with the owners at PNV, and I agree with your take. It is undoubtedly true to site (dark florals, mineral, big structure), but there is a semi-open knit profile at the moment with really pretty fruit. Looking forward to this one.

SAVE THE DATE - 001 Vintners Inaugural Release

We are excited to announce the inaugural release of the 001 Vintners 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon Ecotone Vineyard on Tuesday, March 12. Please save the date.

Due to our limited production, we encourage you to submit your order early. If you would like more wine than you were allocated, please use the wish-list request feature. Additionally, a limited number of magnum bottles will be available on a wish-list only basis. When the release closes, we will grant wishes to the best of our ability. Your order will be shipped in April, weather permitting.

001 Vintners

For our inaugural release of double o one, Winemaker Graeme MacDonald crafted a blend of 83.8% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13.5% Cabernet Franc and 2.7% Petit Verdot. Graeme describes the wine as having, “dark ruby color with vivid notes of blueberries, dried herbs, green olive, bittersweet chocolate and hints of tobacco and graphite. The wine is medium-full bodied, expressing savory fruit and graphite that wrap around a fresh mouthwatering finish, with classic precision and structure.”

307 cases produced.

001 Vintners

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, just signed up and looking forward to the release!

Is Graeme MacDonald the winemaker for any other wines right now besides this one and MacDonald?

Blankiet?

1 Like

Yes, since the 2016 vintage.

1 Like

Anyone know the price?

Reasonable, but expensive, but not Impensata expensive.

1 Like

FTFY

1 Like

great info - thank you for posting

I’m ready. I’ve been waiting patiently since Rodney G told me about it.

225.00 btl

3 Likes

I’m guessing 3 bottles minimum

I’ve heard a lot of great things about Graeme, but never tasted any of his wines. What style of wine does he typically make?

Does anyone know what time the offer is going live today? The email didn’t say anything. Don’t want to miss the boat.