What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
A1ex H

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16551 Post by A1ex H » April 11th, 2020, 2:30 pm

BRhoades wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 5:11 pm
Brian Lynch wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 1:24 pm
BRhoades wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 6:34 pm

The Alchemist Brewing Co. Heady The Topper. DIPA 8% ABV. No hop bill listed, rumor is that it's a combo of 6 different hops LOL, kinda like KFC's 17 herbs and spices.

Listen, we've all had this beer, some more than others, but for us west coasters it's a treat when it shows up and when it does you buy as much as the allocations allow, in my case it was one Heady and one Focal Banger per person. It's been a few years since I last enjoyed this east coast classic, still all the aromatics are in check,Heady is dank with tropical and stone fruits along with that beautiful tinge of piney resin. The flavors are impactful, they follow the nose, the initial wallop of IBU laden pithy citrus before the tradition to softer tropical and stone fruits. It has that signature long bone dry bitter citrusy finish that brings the west coast DNA back into the picture. What I found interesting was the optics, Heady looks different, not in a bad way but it no longer is a glass full of floaties, see picture, now it displays a gorgeous hazy sunset orange color that it's earliest incarnations did not. I loved every drop, everyone needs to revisit these classics at some time.Now is that time.

Highly recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
This is a great note. It's a shame you can only get singles. I have found in the past that my first of these is like drinking something with the need of assistance from a fork and knife. Once you get past the "bigness" of it, your palate dials in and you say, "I get it."
God I wish we could get more but I won't complain, we get this once a year, some bottle shops offer 2PP but our little local which gets insane stuff limit's them to IPP to spread the love which I totally support.

Hoping you and your family are safe and healthy Brian, we'll share more Monkish when this cloud passes over ! And, I love your fork and knife comparison as it rings true !

Cheers,

Bud
Just bought a four pack of this today and am drinking my first one of the four pack now. Agreed with your note Bud. I'm always struck that this really feels today more like a fusion between a New England and a West Coast IPA compared with the NEIPAs coming out of Tired Hands/ Treehouse/ Monkish/ Other Half etc. It's so much more piney and dank than most NEIPAs. It's a classic and still great but I can't imagine how incredible this must have been drinking this beer a decade or more ago when the style really hadn't developed to what it is today. Always worth buying and enjoying even given the other breweries now cranking out first rate examples.
H@ns£n

BRhoades

#16552 Post by BRhoades » April 11th, 2020, 6:49 pm

A1ex H wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 2:30 pm
BRhoades wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 5:11 pm
Brian Lynch wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 1:24 pm

This is a great note. It's a shame you can only get singles. I have found in the past that my first of these is like drinking something with the need of assistance from a fork and knife. Once you get past the "bigness" of it, your palate dials in and you say, "I get it."
God I wish we could get more but I won't complain, we get this once a year, some bottle shops offer 2PP but our little local which gets insane stuff limit's them to IPP to spread the love which I totally support.

Hoping you and your family are safe and healthy Brian, we'll share more Monkish when this cloud passes over ! And, I love your fork and knife comparison as it rings true !

Cheers,

Bud
Just bought a four pack of this today and am drinking my first one of the four pack now. Agreed with your note Bud. I'm always struck that this really feels today more like a fusion between a New England and a West Coast IPA compared with the NEIPAs coming out of Tired Hands/ Treehouse/ Monkish/ Other Half etc. It's so much more piney and dank than most NEIPAs. It's a classic and still great but I can't imagine how incredible this must have been drinking this beer a decade or more ago when the style really hadn't developed to what it is today. Always worth buying and enjoying even given the other breweries now cranking out first rate examples.
Alex, I had my first Heady back around 2007- 2008 and it was a revelation. There were no NE style IPAs anywhere back then, the closest we had here in So Cal was the iconic Alpine Beer Co Nelson IPA. I'll never forget my first impressions of this beer, it was grossly unfiltered and had a healthy amount of hop protein floaties. The aromatics and flavor profile was unlike anything I'd tasted up to that time, it was a WHALE that you had to have if you had a connection on the east coast. It's a classic, like a great old bottle of Heitz Martha's Vineyard.

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time~Bud

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16553 Post by Thomas Keim » April 14th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Augustinerbrau Edelstoff Helles -

Still the greatest light beer in the world.
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Mel Hill

#16554 Post by Mel Hill » April 14th, 2020, 6:17 pm

5DEC422B-67A9-4CD1-941B-4CF314C08721.jpeg
7 days old Scam Likely
delicious

b. c@stner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16555 Post by b. c@stner » April 14th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Terry H a r r i s wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:49 pm
I mostly drink "local" IPAs, but as I was picking up a few different 6-packs at my local Cheyenne retail, I spotted a pkg of this stuff, in cans, and really liked the label and otherwise knew zero about them (Michigan), so I thought, why not. It's pretty good. And, again, can rocks!
A local joint in Wisconsin, and I'm talking local joint in Wisconsin where no one has any idea what an IPA is, including the bartenders, carries this. The only way you can order it is by asking for the can with a fish on it...(not criticizing of course, just an observation)
b 0 b

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16556 Post by Randy Bowman » April 14th, 2020, 7:38 pm

A customer/friend gave me a Mare Island Brewing Co., Coal Barn Stout to try. Back in the day before wine, I usually drank dark beer warm but he suggested I try it cold. I still usually have a cold Negra Modelo with Mexican food so I put it in the refrigerator and had it the next day with Mexican food. The Coal Barn had more flavor cold than the Negra Modelo and more even than I get from a warm Heineken Dark. (My beer for fishing in the old days. No cooler needed) Not bitter, it was the closest beer to a Black and Tan that I've had and enjoyed it more. Of course, I haven't been into beer for 20 years and have no idea what a Pliny the Elder or Younger taste like, so one of the beer pros need to try it for a qualified rating.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16557 Post by Rick Allen » April 15th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Thomas Keim wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 6:06 pm
Augustinerbrau Edelstoff Helles -

Still the greatest light beer in the world.
The only thing to order at Oktoberfest.

BRhoades

#16558 Post by BRhoades » April 16th, 2020, 10:00 am

Mel Hill wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 6:17 pm
5DEC422B-67A9-4CD1-941B-4CF314C08721.jpeg

7 days old Scam Likely
delicious
Cerebral makes some very good beers.

Cheers,

Bud

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16559 Post by Jim Stewart » April 20th, 2020, 7:41 am

Enjoyed this "Kolsch" version from brewer/water scientist Jordan at the local Point Ybel Brewery. Refreshing, crisply mouth-coating, and at about 4.5% definitely zerquetschbar! Available in sixteen ounce cans for takeout, which equates to about 2+ glasses of the beer as it was poured in Cologne.
bud weisberg 1.JPG
bud weisberg 2.JPG
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

Curtis Chen

#16560 Post by Curtis Chen » April 28th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Blind Pig, a perennial favorite.

Had a Treehouse Brighter Than Starlight just a few nights ago. Pretty crazy for an 8.3% abv to be so crushable.
Add me on CellarTracker: C Chen

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16561 Post by JKim » April 28th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Been drinking tons of Monkish. Love their Hazy stuff especially since it’s been getting kinda hot in SoCal. Today’s drop was unannounced so was able to max out both releases. Now I have too much Monkish. Might have to drop some in the CC.
Joe

Curtis Chen

#16562 Post by Curtis Chen » April 28th, 2020, 7:46 pm

JKim wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 7:14 pm
Been drinking tons of Monkish. Love their Hazy stuff especially since it’s been getting kinda hot in SoCal. Today’s drop was unannounced so was able to max out both releases. Now I have too much Monkish. Might have to drop some in the CC.
Can't get enough of Monkish. I keep both their growlers in my trunk at all times. You know, just in case. [cheers.gif]
Add me on CellarTracker: C Chen

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16563 Post by ClarkstonMark » April 29th, 2020, 7:20 am

JKim wrote:
I just paid MBC/shitlord prices for an 8 pack, arriving hopefully today. Can't believe I did it, but my birthday is Friday.
I am interested in what you think of the experimental release from today.
Edit, just delivered. Looking forward to drinking over the next few days.
Attachments
5A34F5C1-CFAA-4681-A54E-4CA5568AF554.jpeg
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

BRhoades

#16564 Post by BRhoades » April 29th, 2020, 4:17 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. B-Boy Apostle. IPA.6.9% ABV. Hopped entirely with Nelson Sauvin hops from Freestyle Farms in New Zealand. I have accumulated quite an inventory of Monkish over the last 6 weeks, before the new on-line curbside pick up they were still doing on site pick up's with full case limits and product lasting all day. This has lead to the advantage of doing what you really need to do to enjoy Monkish at it's zenith and that's letting them meld in the can for 2-3 weeks. This baby is a month old and is absolutely singing. I am a Nelson lover and by no surprise the three 100% Nelson hopped beers that Henry has brewed, Broadcasting Live, Liquid Flows and now this, the DDH take on Prehistoric Bad Boy are my favorite Nelson hopped beers. Huge dank diesel like nose gives way to super ripe pineapple, red grapefruit and tangerine on a soft and crushable body.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on April 29th, 2020, 9:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BRhoades

#16565 Post by BRhoades » April 29th, 2020, 4:24 pm

ClarkstonMark wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 7:20 am
JKim wrote:
I just paid MBC/shitlord prices for an 8 pack, arriving hopefully today. Can't believe I did it, but my birthday is Friday.
I have had all these and your in for a treat, all the Atomically series beers are amazing and Biggie is one super smooth dangerous TIPA. Put some aside to age for a few weeks as Monkish beers are very aggressively hopped and don't shed their baby fat for a few weeks. I'm curious though about your comment that you paid " shitlord "pricing. Did you buy from the secondary market ? Most Monkish beers range from $20-$24 per four pack which for the quality is pretty fair IMHO.

Stoked you scored some Monkish Mark,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on April 29th, 2020, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRhoades

#16566 Post by BRhoades » April 29th, 2020, 4:57 pm

C Chen wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 7:46 pm
JKim wrote:
Can't get enough of Monkish. I keep both their growlers in my trunk at all times. You know, just in case. [cheers.gif]
I miss those days of filling growlers. Like you, I've got two in the back of my car. Looks like they're going to be sitting there a while longer but I'm hoping Henry can do a reconfigure to allow for the safe and efficient filling of growlers again. Tap pours are a very significant profit center for breweries and regardless of 300-500 cases a week being sold on-line that does not pay the bills. They are in the process of putting in a full kitchen as well as having just invested in a couple new 90 barrel tanks and have inked a deal for new space in Hollywood. Timing is everything as they say. I know Henry is itching to greatly increase his can output, much like Tree House. As a long time Monkish supporter I'm hoping they can weather the storm.

Cheers,

Bud

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16567 Post by ClarkstonMark » April 29th, 2020, 6:05 pm

BRhoades wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 4:24 pm
ClarkstonMark wrote:
JKim wrote:
I have had all these and your in for a treat, all the Atomically series beers are amazing and Biggie is one super smooth dangerous TIPA. Put some aside to age for a few weeks as Monkish beers are very aggressively hopped and don't shed their baby fat for a few weeks. I'm curious though about your comment that you paid " shitlord "pricing. Did you buy from the secondary market ? Most Monkish beers range from $20-$24 per four pack which for the quality is pretty fair IMHO.

Cheers,

Bud
Ya, I paid $125 including shipping for 8 cans from My Beer Collectibles - first time I've done that. Feel almost dumb, but it's a special occasion.
Drinking Conscience Be Free right now, my first Monkish in over a year, and it is tasting great.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

BRhoades

#16568 Post by BRhoades » April 29th, 2020, 9:03 pm

ClarkstonMark wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 6:05 pm
BRhoades wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 4:24 pm
ClarkstonMark wrote:

Cheers,

Bud
Ya, I paid $125 including shipping for 8 cans from My Beer Collectibles - first time I've done that. Feel almost dumb, but it's a special occasion.
Drinking Conscience Be Free right now, my first Monkish in over a year, and it is tasting great.
Hey, we can spend four figures on a bottle of wine right ? Good for you, enjoy them, but make sure you stash a few away, they change dramatically for the better.

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16569 Post by Andrew Kotowski » April 30th, 2020, 10:01 am

When you guys are ready to pay "shitlord" prices for Fremont Brew 3000 and 4000, feel free to ping :D
Instagram at @akgrill

BRhoades

#16570 Post by BRhoades » May 2nd, 2020, 5:37 pm

Brouwerij West Beer Co. 8 1/2, hopped entirely with El Dorado hops. 6.5% This is outstanding. Nose of crushed ripe stone fruits and sweet pulpy melons. Flavors follow suite, ripe peaches, some bitter sweet navel orange with more of that casaba and honeydew melons with a hint of piney hops. The body is medium plus and is utterly refreshing. The finish is long and dry and at 6.5% this is the epitome of a warm weather crusher. This has a pretty wide distro pattern in So Cal so better bottle shops should have cans.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16571 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 3rd, 2020, 10:11 am

Monkish is going to be in Hollywood?!?
When?
Where?
This is going to be in addition to, not instead of, Torrance, right?
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

BRhoades

#16572 Post by BRhoades » May 3rd, 2020, 10:25 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 10:11 am
When?
Where?
I think the bigger question now is IF. He was moving full steam ahead on the new kitchen and restaurant at the Torrance space and signed a lease for a new space in Hollywood a few months back, exactly where I don't know. Not sure what's going to happen now though.Selling 4-500 cases of beer a week won't finance either of these projects.

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16573 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 3rd, 2020, 10:27 am

A few recents:
Oskar Blues - "Dale's" Pale Ale --- I used to.like this beer, but now I don't.

Modern Times - "Star Cloud" NEIPA --- good-not-great. The price is right at $11 for a four pack.

Artifex - "San Clemente" IPA --- a hybrid style. I think this is an unfiltered nu school West Coast style. Lots of bouncy/juicy/bright citrusy tones. Solidly excellent. Hoping supply of this is solid because I want to buy it again.

El Segundo Brewing co. - "Mayberry" IPA --- firmly one of our regulars. I like the new 16oz cans, but dislike them being more expensive per ounce than the 12 oz bottles.

El Segundo Brewing co. - "Blurred Lines" IPA --- hybrid style, and it's done excellently.

Brouwerij West - "Four Times Four Times" NEIIPA --- a full-on hazy, this has a full mouthfeel, and is one of the best hazies I've had from this brewer. Worth buying.

Bell's - "Oberon" Hefeweizen --- going OG American craft here; there isn't another American hefe I like more than this one.

2017 - 2018 Tilquin - Oude Quetsch --- turbid pink color in the glass; amazing fruited lambic blend. Pretty much perfect.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16574 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 3rd, 2020, 10:28 am

BRhoades wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 10:25 am
When?
Where?
I think the bigger question now is IF. He was moving full steam ahead on the new kitchen and restaurant at the Torrance space and signed a lease for a new space in Hollywood a few months back, exactly where I don't know. Not sure what's going to happen now though.Selling 4-500 cases of beer a week won't finance either of these projects.

Cheers,

Bud
They're printing money every minute they're open. Their online releases are selling-out in 2 seconds (literally). I think they're going to be just fine. :)

BRhoades

#16575 Post by BRhoades » May 3rd, 2020, 1:22 pm

May 3rd, 2020, 10:28 am
BRhoades wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 10:25 am
When?
Where?

Cheers,

Bud
They're printing money every minute they're open. Their online releases are selling-out in 2 seconds (literally). I think they're going to be just fine. :)
They're open only two days a week now and that's only for a few hours to load up beer in your car from the on-line sales, no tap pours, growler fills, merch sales etc. etc. which is the secret sauce for any brewery, a few hundred cases of beer is not sustainable. I hope I'm wrong because I'm one of their all time fan boys but I've never heard of a brewery who didn't carry enormous debt and overhead costs, now add this Covid shit to the equation and its a whole new ballgame.

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on May 4th, 2020, 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16576 Post by Matt Latuchie » May 3rd, 2020, 2:52 pm

Found my first Beechwood beers in Las Vegas this week. Citraholic and Super Citrus Citraholic. Couldn't believe my eyes!
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16577 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 4th, 2020, 1:00 am

Dang. I haven't even seen the Super Citrus Citraholic yet. Fresh canning dates, I hope, Matt.

BRhoades

#16578 Post by BRhoades » May 4th, 2020, 9:14 am

May 4th, 2020, 1:00 am
Dang. I haven't even seen the Super Citrus Citraholic yet. Fresh canning dates, I hope, Matt.
It was released last week so the cans around town are super fresh.

Cheers,

Bud

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16579 Post by Matt Latuchie » May 4th, 2020, 3:38 pm

The ones here were 4/22 (Citraholic) and 4/26 (SCC).
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

BRhoades

#16580 Post by BRhoades » May 4th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Matt Latuchie wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 3:38 pm
Stock up Matt !

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16581 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 4th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Matt Latuchie wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 3:38 pm
Yeah, I'd say that's fresh!! [wow.gif] [drinkers.gif]

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16582 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 4th, 2020, 11:16 pm

I forgot to mention earlier: found Alchemist's "Heady Topper" and "Focal Banger" at my local Total Wine this past weekend.

Like them both. I *think* I prefer Focal, but not sure. First can of Focal I thought was good-not-great, then later I had a Heady and thought it very good. Then next day had another Focal and thought it much better than first can. So, can't really explain how that happened with the Focal Banger, but there ya go. Although I like them both, I wouldn't pay $18 for a four pack again. Cool to try, though, and they're both less than 2 weeks from their canning dates. :)

GMcCarthy

#16583 Post by GMcCarthy » May 5th, 2020, 10:46 am

May 4th, 2020, 11:16 pm
I forgot to mention earlier: found Alchemist's "Heady Topper" and "Focal Banger" at my local Total Wine this past weekend.

Like them both. I *think* I prefer Focal, but not sure. First can of Focal I thought was good-not-great, then later I had a Heady and thought it very good. Then next day had another Focal and thought it much better than first can. So, can't really explain how that happened with the Focal Banger, but there ya go. Although I like them both, I wouldn't pay $18 for a four pack again. Cool to try, though, and they're both less than 2 weeks from their canning dates. :)
I too prefer Focal over Heady. I'm surprised they had canning dates as I have never seen one on an Alchemist can.
Greg McCarthy
itb:beer

BRhoades

#16584 Post by BRhoades » May 6th, 2020, 4:33 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. RIBBIDY-DIDDIBY. TIPA 10.2% ABV Hopped with Galaxy and Mosaic hops, TIPA version of Babbleship. Huge aromatics of super ripe tropical fruits, most noticeable is Pineapple as well as mango papaya and passion fruit. This is a Pineapple bomb on the palate, soft creamy sweet ripe pineapple with some hints around the edges of tangerine's that will blossom with a week or two in can. Incredible complexity of flavors and aromatics even at a day young, as with all Monkish hoppy beers this will get even better. This was part of their on-line sale today.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on May 8th, 2020, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRhoades

#16585 Post by BRhoades » May 6th, 2020, 6:29 pm

GMcCarthy wrote:
May 5th, 2020, 10:46 am
May 4th, 2020, 11:16 pm

I too prefer Focal over Heady. I'm surprised they had canning dates as I have never seen one on an Alchemist can.
I'm a Focal fave too, it reminds me of the ongoing Pliny The Elder vs Blind Pig debate, and yes Greg, the cans that we are getting out here on the left coast are date stamped.

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16586 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 7th, 2020, 7:32 pm

Bud, did you seriously play the Monkish FOMO game? Did you manage to get your order in within 5 seconds of the release opening?

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16587 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 7th, 2020, 7:33 pm

For my part, yesterday I had an ESBC - "Blurred Lines" Hybrid IPA and it was delish! Super easy to buy to the extent it's super easy to lift the 4-pack off the shelf. :D

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16588 Post by Phil Smith » May 8th, 2020, 6:48 pm

So I bought a 12 pack of plain old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale cans today, which is a staple in my beer rotation. I’ll be damned if the whole pack isn’t corked. I’ve gone through three cans of it, and all three down the drain. And not just a little corked, but unequivocally, distinctly corked... i’ve had the odd corked spirit, baby carrots, and occasional other things, but a can of beer?

BRhoades

#16589 Post by BRhoades » May 9th, 2020, 2:40 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Tiger Monk. DIPA. 8% ABV.Hopped with Galaxy, Citra, Motueka and Sabro hops. The first thing I need to say is that I'm loving the creative can art Monkish has been doing throughout the Covid 19 debacle and this may be the best one yet. This hop bill creates a tropical island beverage minus the umbrella. Massive blasts of super ripe creamy smooth pineapple, papaya and mango on the nose. The palate shows more sweet pulpy tropical fruits, tangerines and sweet red grapefruit mid palate with a very cool hit of sweet coconut meat from the Sabro hops on the back end. This is also one of the hoppiest freekin beers Henry has brewed in a long time, it'a an enamel scraper like the good old days when 100+ IBUs was what we craved. Somehow Henry balances all these abstract flavors, aromatics and textures together into a seamless delicious tropical DIPA.
Tiger Monk was part of the double can release Thursday via their on-line/ curbside pick up program and with over 400+ cases made, it was relatively easy to get, if your a trader there should be a shit ton of his floating around out there.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on May 9th, 2020, 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16590 Post by Paul Miller » May 9th, 2020, 2:50 pm

A0F33413-4AEC-4328-B8E0-E018875BA7E0.jpeg

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16591 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 9th, 2020, 3:54 pm

Tree House Green!
Attachments
98565663-3C27-4300-8D41-A469DCEEC4D0.jpeg
Instagram at @akgrill

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16592 Post by ClarkstonMark » May 9th, 2020, 5:28 pm

The last of my Monkish, until Monday at least as I have another shipment coming next week.
The smell on this beer after pouring is crazy.
Oh, last night I drank a Bomb Atomically and my gf said oh you’re drinking orange juice again - I made her a killer Clover Club cocktail
Attachments
F1E3B016-123A-4AD3-90F6-382D8990A118.jpeg
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

BRhoades

#16593 Post by BRhoades » May 9th, 2020, 6:35 pm

ClarkstonMark wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 5:28 pm
The last of my Monkish, until Monday at least as I have another shipment coming next week.
The smell on this beer after pouring is crazy.
Oh, last night I drank a Bomb Atomically and my gf said oh you’re drinking orange juice again - I made her a killer Clover Club cocktail
I'm a local Monkish consumer but I will say I absolutely love these on-line curbside pick up's. I don't do the shipping option because I'm 25 minutes from the brewery and I'm batting 750 with on line purchases. I am hoping that like other breweries, Modern Times comes to mind, that Monkish will continue this option in addition to walk up purchases once it's safe in the future. They have purchased two new 90 barrel tanks to ramp up production and have plans to add more for increased capacity. Henry said his plan is to have enough cold storage and refrigeration to keep cans in stock ala Tree House and Trillium. This is a win win for a lot of consumers that can't make a brewery run at noon on a Friday !

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16594 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 10th, 2020, 11:47 am

Tree House Julius!
Attachments
81A59892-ABBF-4DD4-9C28-657966EF8597.jpeg
Instagram at @akgrill

BRhoades

#16595 Post by BRhoades » May 10th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Harland Brewing. Citra + Mosaic DDH WC IPA. 7% ABV.

So the label says WC IPA, so I get out my IPA glasses and prepare myself for hopefully another great Harland west coast drinking experience. Obviously once the beer hits my glass I realize that there in now a new definition of west coast IPA. I take a sniff and am blown away by the huge Mosaic presence in the aromatics, great smelling beer. The flavor is where I realize that this skews very heavily to the west coast side of things. Lot's of pithy citrus, oranges, grapefruits, lemon and lime on a very dry spritzy body that finishes long, dry and bittersweet. Crushable, and very refreshing.

For those who haven't yet had any exposure to Harland it's the labor of love from a couple of the founders of Saint Archer. Over the Christmas break Carolyn and I were down in Del Mar for a little R&R and one day while out Christmas shopping we stumbled upon their brand new tasting room at The Presidio retail complex just east of the Del Mar race track. We tasted through a few of their offerings and bought a couple crowlers to take back to our condo. We both really enjoyed the west coast IPA and a very good brown ale. Yesterday afternoon I went over to Bottlecraft to fill a growler of Pliny and grab a few cans and saw this on the list. I bought one as well as one of their Mosaic ! Mosaic ! DDH IPAs. I'm definitely going to be grabbing more of this.

Harland has begun some pretty decent distribution throughout So Cal. Keep an eye out for these guys, very solid beers across the board.

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16596 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 10th, 2020, 4:29 pm

Good to know. Thanks, Bud.

BRhoades

#16597 Post by BRhoades » May 11th, 2020, 5:06 pm

May 10th, 2020, 4:29 pm
Good to know. Thanks, Bud.
The Harland DDH Citra Mosaic West Coast IPA is right in your wheel house Brian, I think you'll love it !

Cheers,

Bud

Alex O

#16598 Post by Alex O » May 12th, 2020, 7:30 am

Elysian - Space Dust
Evolution - Number 3#
I drink, therefore I am.
0radei

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16599 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 13th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Going to be a busy couple of days.
Attachments
D0205149-1E2F-4C1E-87CC-808150CD4302.jpeg
Instagram at @akgrill

BRhoades

#16600 Post by BRhoades » May 13th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Moksa Brewing Co. Turbinator 2 Judgement Haze. DIPA. 8.2% ABV Hopped with Galaxy and Citra hops. I recently had the good fortune of procuring a couple cans of their collab with Ventura Counties Casa Agria Ales called " In Good Company" that was fantastic. This new batch of their very popular T2 Series of hazy DIPAs just hit select bottle shops in So Cal- SD, this can is 6 days fresh. Tiny Moksa Brewing is located up in Rocklin Ca. between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe on what we call the Zinfandel trail or HWY 80. This recipe is hopped at TIPA hop rates with almost 8 lbs per barrel of Galaxy and Citra hops. The nose is deep with ripe tropical fruits and the palate shows similarly with lots of Guava, Lychee and a white gummy bear ring after taste. The mouth is luscious and full and offers a very long semi dry pithy finish. T2 hides the ABV very well, this goes down way to easy. Available from the brewery direct and they also offer a shipping program. A select few better bottle shops like Bottlecraft are getting their beers, I purchased this at Bottle Craft in Little Italy while in San Diego today on a quick business trip, seek these guys out if you love world class hazy IPA-DIPAs, they are killing it.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Return to “Beer and Spirits”