What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Message
Author
User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2313
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16051 Post by BRhoades » May 8th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Image

Modern Times Beer Co. Telesto IPA. 7% ABV. Hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo hops. This is the seasonal distro for May/June. Pours a beautiful hazy sunset orange color with a good full inch of compact dense bright white head. The nose is an absolute fruit bomb, ripe papaya, pineapple, orange zest and sweet clementines with a hint of piny resin. Flavors follow the nose with more bitter sweet citrus and ripe tropical fruit dominating, there is a very cool green herbaciouness mid palate. The mouth is soft and full and finishes long and dry. Nobody delivers this quality on this scale IMHO, not even close. Easy to find at better bottle shops that carry MT products, a world class QPR IPA.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7017
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16052 Post by Mark Y » May 11th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 12:18 pm
Mark, we need to meet up some time. I work in Lincoln Square, so has to be pretty damn close to where you're at, at least when you're not on a beach ;)

Maybe it'll be enough to get Scott to finally cross-over to the dreaded 4-2-5.
Andrew, the goal is to be on a beach at all times.. i fail 48-50 weeks out of the year! :(

Indeed we should! Keep telling Scott to host a bottle share (since we have 2 little ones so hosting at my place is a challenge with the Boss)..

I work in Downtown Seattle, but live in Bellevue. I'd LOVE to work in lincoln square.. oh the commute!

Scott Tallman wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 1:21 pm
Only on a bike [wow.gif]
Scott, when the Mrs Tallman leave the house again? ;)
Y.e.

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7017
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16053 Post by Mark Y » May 11th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Been on a bit of a Treehouse addiction lately.
4B5A8E6B-D366-4053-AF0E-89052DB41334.jpeg
48D1C576-55A3-4E66-8CD9-2B2C1272E0D0.jpeg
Y.e.

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4264
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16054 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 11th, 2019, 8:37 pm

2015 BCBS - This was great. Chocolate, vanilla, caramel with a motor oil viscosity. Had it with a rib eye, which was just great for layering fat on fat (as opposed to acid).

Good stuff.
Attachments
3DE37790-0578-4E2F-8C8D-44D92B210F68.jpeg
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2544
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16055 Post by Scott Tallman » May 11th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Mark Y wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 5:42 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 12:18 pm
Mark, we need to meet up some time. I work in Lincoln Square, so has to be pretty damn close to where you're at, at least when you're not on a beach ;)

Maybe it'll be enough to get Scott to finally cross-over to the dreaded 4-2-5.
Andrew, the goal is to be on a beach at all times.. i fail 48-50 weeks out of the year! :(

Indeed we should! Keep telling Scott to host a bottle share (since we have 2 little ones so hosting at my place is a challenge with the Boss)..

I work in Downtown Seattle, but live in Bellevue. I'd LOVE to work in lincoln square.. oh the commute!

Scott Tallman wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 1:21 pm
Only on a bike [wow.gif]
Scott, when the Mrs Tallman leave the house again? ;)
I’ll be alone quite a bit the second half of May. You bring the Treehouse, I’ll host!
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7017
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16056 Post by Mark Y » May 12th, 2019, 7:22 am

Scott Tallman wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:21 pm

I’ll be alone quite a bit the second half of May. You bring the Treehouse, I’ll host!
Deal! May 29/30th time frame? :)
Y.e.

User avatar
JeromeHan
Posts: 1067
Joined: May 13th, 2016, 9:47 am
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16057 Post by JeromeHan » May 12th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Stopping by to live vicariously through you all as my wife has us stuck deep in Keto hell.

User avatar
ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1507
Joined: December 19th, 2009, 12:13 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16058 Post by ClarkstonMark » May 12th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Last couple of Heater Allen’s. These beers make me feel like I’m back in Germany.
Attachments
F7AB9B0C-3CF4-422B-9E32-7CDB46836D5F.jpeg
C14EC0B9-67D1-4ECA-8C1C-7D295AA72C30.jpeg
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2544
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16059 Post by Scott Tallman » May 12th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Mark Y wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 7:22 am
Scott Tallman wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:21 pm

I’ll be alone quite a bit the second half of May. You bring the Treehouse, I’ll host!
Deal! May 29/30th time frame? :)
No go on 29th, but 30th is doable if there’s interest and the weather is nice. She’ll be home, but the back deck/yard will work. Otherwise best times are 21st - 26th.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7017
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16060 Post by Mark Y » May 12th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 4:43 pm
Mark Y wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 7:22 am
Scott Tallman wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:21 pm

I’ll be alone quite a bit the second half of May. You bring the Treehouse, I’ll host!
Deal! May 29/30th time frame? :)
No go on 29th, but 30th is doable if there’s interest and the weather is nice. She’ll be home, but the back deck/yard will work. Otherwise best times are 21st - 26th.
On a biz trip and then out for Memorial Day.
5/30 sounds good if you are good?
Wanna wrangle some peeps together?
Y.e.

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18036
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16061 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 13th, 2019, 12:34 am

BRhoades wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 6:20 pm
Image

Modern Times Beer Co. Telesto IPA. 7% ABV. Hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo hops. This is the seasonal distro for May/June. Pours a beautiful hazy sunset orange color with a good full inch of compact dense bright white head. The nose is an absolute fruit bomb, ripe papaya, pineapple, orange zest and sweet clementines with a hint of piny resin. Flavors follow the nose with more bitter sweet citrus and ripe tropical fruit dominating, there is a very cool green herbaciouness mid palate. The mouth is soft and full and finishes long and dry. Nobody delivers this quality on this scale IMHO, not even close. Easy to find at better bottle shops that carry MT products, a world class QPR IPA.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
I thought this was good, and definitely worth the price. That said, I do not place this in the upper tier of MT hazies. With how well they've been doing with the style, I give this one a "C." For my preferences, I don't think the rye works in there. I do, however, like Rye IPAs when done in the west coast style ... I'd love to see El Segundo or Noble do one.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14394
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16062 Post by Craig G » May 13th, 2019, 6:50 am

Drie Fonteinen Hommage: Color, nose and price all remind one of Chambolle Musigny :-)
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2313
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16063 Post by BRhoades » May 13th, 2019, 5:25 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 12:34 am
BRhoades wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 6:20 pm
Image

Modern Times Beer Co. Telesto IPA. 7% ABV. Hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo hops. This is the seasonal distro for May/June. Pours a beautiful hazy sunset orange color with a good full inch of compact dense bright white head. The nose is an absolute fruit bomb, ripe papaya, pineapple, orange zest and sweet clementines with a hint of piny resin. Flavors follow the nose with more bitter sweet citrus and ripe tropical fruit dominating, there is a very cool green herbaciouness mid palate. The mouth is soft and full and finishes long and dry. Nobody delivers this quality on this scale IMHO, not even close. Easy to find at better bottle shops that carry MT products, a world class QPR IPA.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
I thought this was good, and definitely worth the price. That said, I do not place this in the upper tier of MT hazies. With how well they've been doing with the style, I give this one a "C." For my preferences, I don't think the rye works in there. I do, however, like Rye IPAs when done in the west coast style ... I'd love to see El Segundo or Noble do one.
If I recall correctly there have been a few Monkish IPAs that had rye that you guys didn't like to much as well ? Is the hazy style with Rye a detractor for you. I do know you loved the OG Alpine Nelson that was a Rye IPA, albeit it was a hybrid west coast slightly hazy beer, because if I recall we almost killed an entire growler of it at Beachwood Seal Beach a few moons ago. Really looking forward to picking up my May on-line MT stuff this week especially Unlike Birds, the collab with Other Half.

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4264
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16064 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 14th, 2019, 6:42 pm

This didn’t taste anything at all like the other bottle - no soy, light coffee notes and chocolate syrup with a little bit of stout thrown in to fit the genre.

Let me know if you land on the 30th; will make it work and drag some crappy stouts :). Pretty sure I have some Parabola and BCBS with some age on them.
Attachments
22339CAE-F6DA-4820-994B-9AC0BA3EBC1C.jpeg
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2313
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16065 Post by BRhoades » May 18th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Image

Modern Times Beer Co. and Other Half Brewing Co. Unlike Birds,This Is Real. DIPA. 8.2% ABV. Hopped with Nelson, Citra and Cashmere. Just another amazing effort from MT, this time with the help from the Other Half crew out of Brooklyn NY. It pours that creamy milky white yellowish color with a nice cap of tightly packed bubbles. Super fragrant nose with lots of ripe citrus, stone fruits and mango. Flavors follow the nose with ripe juicy pineapple, sweet tangerine and that dank vineous white grape note before transitioning mid palate to mango, papaya, nectarine and passion fruits. The body is soft and creamy and finishes long and bitter sweet. This was from the May on-line sale.

Highly recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2313
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16066 Post by BRhoades » May 19th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Image

Modern Times Beer Co. Tiger Millionaire, TIPA.10.4% ABV. Hopped with Citra and Nelson hops. Another beer from the May on-line sale. Yet another example of why I think MT has become one of the best at the west coast haze game, incredible aromatics, insane complexity of flavors ranging from citrus to tropical's and just super clean and crushable for a beer that is 10% + ABV. It never bogs down and the bitter hoppiness mid-palate to finish reminds you it's beer.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18036
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16067 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 22nd, 2019, 3:26 am

Bud, I've never done the MT online purchases; how do they work? Avail. to everybody? Avail. for pickup at any MT location?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2313
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16068 Post by BRhoades » May 22nd, 2019, 5:20 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 3:26 am
Bud, I've never done the MT online purchases; how do they work? Avail. to everybody? Avail. for pickup at any MT location?
For the general public on-line sale anyone can do it. Just go to their site and click on their bio, create an account and sign up for their newsletter and your set to go, they will send you an email with all the beers available for that months offerings a few days before the sale goes live for the upcoming Saturday sale, the public sale is always on a Saturday at 10am. On the application you can designate which MT location you choose as your pickup spot. Remember this is not for League or Theory membership, you can submit an application for those once a year when they open it up for membership, these cost a few $$$ but well worth it for the super rare BA stuff and other limited goodies that don't go to the general public. The majority of these hoppy beers don't sell out immediately and if your lucky you can drop into your nearest MT location and buy them the following Wednesday/Thursday after the weekend sale closes depending on location, I don't like taking that chance so I always buy them on-line. The allotment's for hoppy cans are usually around 15-18 4 packs PP based on the yields.

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on May 22nd, 2019, 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It aint wine all the time

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 648
Joined: June 19th, 2018, 12:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16069 Post by JDavisRoby » May 22nd, 2019, 5:48 pm

American Solera (founder of Prarie Artisan Ale) Peaceb0ne. Best beer I’ve had in a while.

Joshu@

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18036
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16070 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 23rd, 2019, 1:16 am

Thanks, Bud! I can't imagine I'd ever want more than 2, maaaaybe 3, 4 packs of any given beer, unless it's a re-release with which I am familiar.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2313
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16071 Post by BRhoades » May 23rd, 2019, 10:07 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 1:16 am
Thanks, Bud! I can't imagine I'd ever want more than 2, maaaaybe 3, 4 packs of any given beer, unless it's a re-release with which I am familiar.
Right ?.....I am always amused at the allotments, I usually do 2-3 of each. There is a certain Theory member who max's out on everything every single month, I have personally witnessed the staff load rolling cart after rolling cart's of beer onto the back of his pick up. [wow.gif]

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
JeromeHan
Posts: 1067
Joined: May 13th, 2016, 9:47 am
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16072 Post by JeromeHan » May 23rd, 2019, 3:17 pm

Nice mention of Heater Allen on the most recent episode of the Steal This Beer podcast.

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18036
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16073 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 23rd, 2019, 10:49 pm

BRhoades wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 10:07 am
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 1:16 am
Thanks, Bud! I can't imagine I'd ever want more than 2, maaaaybe 3, 4 packs of any given beer, unless it's a re-release with which I am familiar.
Right ?.....I am always amused at the allotments, I usually do 2-3 of each. There is a certain Theory member who max's out on everything every single month, I have personally witnessed the staff load rolling cart after rolling cart's of beer onto the back of his pick up. [wow.gif]

Cheers,

Bud
Possibly reselling.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2313
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16074 Post by BRhoades » May 26th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Image

Highland Park Brewing Co. Past Future. IPA. 7% ABV. Hopped with Citra, Galaxy and Mosaic hops. To taste the same recipe from Julian Shrago @ Beachwood with his 28 Haze Later and then this from Bob from HPB with his Past Future and at once you realize craft beer is very similar to the world of fine wine. Given the same grape, watch what a talented wine maker can do. Give the same hop bill to a brilliant brew master and witness the same. One is much more austere and light on it's feet, one shows more hop flavor concentration, both are wonderful and absolutely crushable. This is the austere one that is quite delicious too.

Both are highly recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on May 28th, 2019, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18036
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16075 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 27th, 2019, 5:22 am

Interesting. Where'd you get the can, Bud, and for how much?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 864
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16076 Post by Jim Stewart » May 27th, 2019, 2:32 pm

A decanted Tree House beer.
Picked up my first Tree House beers about 4 weeks ago. Stored them upright in the fridge. Have had a few early on, poured fully into the glass. Lots of opaque haze. . . and lots of great flavors. A couple of beers ago I thought that the hazy goodness might be sinking so I rolled the beer can before pouring. Lots of haze but also quite a few "floaties" which 'offend my senses'. The past two beers I have poured like I would decant a Barolo that I have stood up for a while to let the sediments sink. A slow observed pour and the first sign of anything other than pure liquid I stop. Result is a "clarified" hazy. I still enjoy the flavors very much. I find the beer smoother. Different from the fresh and full pour but still very good. Tonight was BBBright with Citra. Nice beer!
How do you pour your older Hazys?
bbright.jpg

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2313
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16077 Post by BRhoades » May 28th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 5:22 am
Interesting. Where'd you get the can, Bud, and for how much?
Bought them at their China Town location Saturday afternoon. $18 per four pack, tasty juice.

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18036
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16078 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 29th, 2019, 3:33 am

Cool. Thanks for the info. I really do need to find my way there for the first time sooner rather than later.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2313
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16079 Post by BRhoades » May 29th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 3:33 am
Cool. Thanks for the info. I really do need to find my way there for the first time sooner rather than later.
Yea, you need to get down there, great beers across the entire portfolio.

Cheers,

Bud
Last edited by BRhoades on May 29th, 2019, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2313
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16080 Post by BRhoades » May 29th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Image

Beachwood Brewing. 28 Haze Later, IPA, 6.8% ABV. Mosaic Citra and Galaxy hops. Coincidentally this dropped right after I posted the review above on HPB's Past Future IPA that features the exact same hop bill. They look almost identical in the glass, beautiful hazy yellowish orange with eerily almost exact head depth and retention. The nose on the BW is more aromatic, flavor profiles are similar but I give BW the edge, I think Juian get's more hop characteristic out of his hops, but I'm being a beer geek splitting hairs, Bob's beers are always more austere by design, buy them both and do you own side by side. This is now in regular rotation and is about $15 per 4 pack. World class shelfy.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18036
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16081 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 29th, 2019, 7:38 pm

Sweet! I love that one, too.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2544
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16082 Post by Scott Tallman » May 30th, 2019, 11:13 pm

A great beer share tonight with fellow #beerserkers Andrew Kotowski, Travis @llen, Mark Y, and a few other non-Berserkers.

CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18036
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16083 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 31st, 2019, 1:19 pm

Yum!!!
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7017
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16084 Post by Mark Y » May 31st, 2019, 2:32 pm

Thanks for hosting Scott! luckily no coyotes joined the party!
Y.e.

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2544
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16085 Post by Scott Tallman » May 31st, 2019, 3:46 pm

Mark Y wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 2:32 pm
Thanks for hosting Scott! luckily no coyotes joined the party!
I actually hoped they’d make an appearance to entertain the group. [wow.gif]
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4264
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16086 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 31st, 2019, 4:19 pm

Mark Y wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 2:32 pm
Thanks for hosting Scott! luckily no coyotes joined the party!
Agreed!

There was a game or concert at Safeco, which rerouted traffic... and had me under the bridge to West Seattle at 11:00. Derp.

Great beer and stories! Can't wait to go back to Enumclaw...

AK
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2313
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16087 Post by BRhoades » May 31st, 2019, 4:24 pm

Image

Beachwood Brewing. Green Shift. DIPA. 10% ABV. Hopped with Citra, Nelson, Amarillo, El Dorado, Galaxy and Warrior hops. Back in the day BW would release this in conjunction with the annual February release of Pliny the Younger on tap at their brewhouse in Long Beach. Having had plenty of the Younger I was taken how amazing this beer was and how I thought it was as good if not better than the Younger. They eventually released it as the 3rd anniversary beer in bottles years later and finally it's available in four packs of 16oz cans available at their 3 locations. It's dank, bitter, resiny and juicy AF but beautifully balanced for a bigger beer. It's a hedonistic over the top hop bomb but every true hop head owes it to themselves to down a pint or two. Available in 16oz four packs at BW locations only.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2544
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16088 Post by Scott Tallman » May 31st, 2019, 10:22 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 4:19 pm
Mark Y wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 2:32 pm
Thanks for hosting Scott! luckily no coyotes joined the party!
Agreed!

There was a game or concert at Safeco, which rerouted traffic... and had me under the bridge to West Seattle at 11:00. Derp.

Great beer and stories! Can't wait to go back to Enumclaw...

AK
Next time, eastside and stouts and IPAs. Nothing else to say about Enumclaw...
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4264
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16089 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 1st, 2019, 10:22 am

Making breakfast with four kids? Of course I’m drinking IPA. Fort George (collab with Our Mutual Friend Brewing) Crysknife. Really enjoying - feels like a halfway point between Hazy and NW IPA (bitter on the end still comes through without tasting like orange juice). If you can find it, pick some up!
Attachments
88DF2292-530E-4C8E-9067-AB1B4EA83AEA.jpeg
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2544
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16090 Post by Scott Tallman » June 1st, 2019, 10:51 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
June 1st, 2019, 10:22 am
Making breakfast with four kids? Of course I’m drinking IPA. Fort George (collab with Our Mutual Friend Brewing) Crysknife. Really enjoying - feels like a halfway point between Hazy and NW IPA (bitter on the end still comes through without tasting like orange juice). If you can find it, pick some up!
Your description is how I’d describe this year’s 3-way IPA, which I had yesterday on draft at release party and grabbed a 4 pack. I think it will be in your wheelhouse.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Terry H a r r i s
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16879
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:47 pm
Location: On a good day, the Sweetwater

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16091 Post by Terry H a r r i s » June 2nd, 2019, 8:38 pm

I've enjoying IPAs from these breweries lately. Weldwerks Brewery is just down the road, in Greeley, Colorado. I've liked all of their IPAs I've tried, so far. Distihl Brewery is located in Normal, Illinois. Had never heard of them prior to picking up this hazy IPA. Very tasty. Any of you guys familiar with them? [cheers.gif]
Attachments
Weldwerks Sabro DDH Juicy Bits IPA.jpg
Distihl Hazy IPA.jpg
"'Watson,' understandably, 'declined to proceed any further.'”

Oh, and I pay money to those ITB

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2544
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16092 Post by Scott Tallman » June 3rd, 2019, 8:25 am

Terry H a r r i s wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 8:38 pm
I've enjoying IPAs from these breweries lately. Weldwerks Brewery is just down the road, in Greeley, Colorado. I've liked all of their IPAs I've tried, so far. Distihl Brewery is located in Normal, Illinois. Had never heard of them prior to picking up this hazy IPA. Very tasty. Any of you guys familiar with them? [cheers.gif]
Never heard of Distihl, but have enjoyed the few Weldwerks beers I’ve tried
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
John Draper
Posts: 206
Joined: March 4th, 2011, 1:15 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16093 Post by John Draper » June 3rd, 2019, 3:14 pm

Terry H a r r i s wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 8:38 pm
I've enjoying IPAs from these breweries lately. Weldwerks Brewery is just down the road, in Greeley, Colorado. I've liked all of their IPAs I've tried, so far. Distihl Brewery is located in Normal, Illinois. Had never heard of them prior to picking up this hazy IPA. Very tasty. Any of you guys familiar with them? [cheers.gif]
Terry, I've been on a major Weldwerks jag lately. Lotus DDH Juicy Bits, Auto Tune, and 3.8 Miles have all delivered the goods. Can't recommend these guys enough!
liberstein

User avatar
Terry H a r r i s
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16879
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:47 pm
Location: On a good day, the Sweetwater

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16094 Post by Terry H a r r i s » June 3rd, 2019, 3:26 pm

Agreed! I always pick up a 4-pack or two of their "regular" Juicy Bits - so damn tasty! I really liked the Lotus DDH Juicy Bits, too. They are making some really nice ale!
"'Watson,' understandably, 'declined to proceed any further.'”

Oh, and I pay money to those ITB

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18546
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16095 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 3rd, 2019, 7:46 pm

Found some JK while in Cupertino for a wedding. It’s not just hype.
DC419D9D-04C3-4BDF-9C86-BC5D291C5DF3.jpeg
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18036
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16096 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 4th, 2019, 11:53 pm

stopped by Monkish over the weekend. Three hazies, which ranged from very good to excellent (but all at least a notch or two below the best that I've had from them). The real highlights of the stop were a couple sour saisons. The collabo with Trillium is wonderful, and the one with peaches and nectarines is flipping phenomenal.

In other news, the following brews did not suck:
Racer 5
El Segundo - "Drop Shadow" NEIPA
Bell's "Oberon"
El Segundo - "Mayberry" IPA
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2313
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16097 Post by BRhoades » June 5th, 2019, 8:24 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 11:53 pm
stopped by Monkish over the weekend. Three hazies, which ranged from very good to excellent (but all at least a notch or two below the best that I've had from them). The real highlights of the stop were a couple sour saisons. The collabo with Trillium is wonderful, and the one with peaches and nectarines is flipping phenomenal.

In other news, the following brews did not suck:
Racer 5
El Segundo - "Drop Shadow" NEIPA
Bell's "Oberon"
El Segundo - "Mayberry" IPA
Monkish is going through a rough patch right now, the beers are not the same from the color, the body, aromatics and most importantly the flavor's. I think you are being overly generous in your rating of these beers and this coming from a long time Monkish consumer. Henry has taken his eye off the ball and a lot of people have noticed. Hope they figure it out soon.

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18036
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16098 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 5th, 2019, 8:53 am

Really?!? You have heard other people expressing similar thoughts, huh? I thought the triple dry hopped with Citra and Galaxy was excellent, but I really wanted to match its palate with the nose on the single IPA they currently have on offer . The double IPA I thought was good, but not great - - - it has wheat in it, which is typically a turn off for me.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2313
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16099 Post by BRhoades » June 5th, 2019, 9:02 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 8:53 am
Really?!? You have heard other people expressing similar thoughts, huh? I thought the triple dry hopped with Citra and Galaxy was excellent, but I really wanted to match its palate with the nose on the single IPA they currently have on offer . The double IPA I thought was good, but not great - - - it has wheat in it, which is typically a turn off for me.
OMG, they Monkish haze boiz are all up in arms. The TDH DIPA was panned, the early untappd scores,i.e. people that are just drinking the beer were 3.75 FOR A MONKISH TDH DIPA until the traders and flippers got their greedy little fingers on the keyboards ! My recent experiences have been beers that are watery, almost dark in color, maybe a malt bill change, GASP ! Crystal Malts maybe [wow.gif] lacking any real complexity and basically not worth the effort to track them down. I'll take MT over Monkish right now and you know I love me some Monkish.

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18036
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16100 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 5th, 2019, 9:53 am

That TDH seemed a bit flat on the palate to me. I still thought it excellent, but at $1/oz it's not good enough. And that's been one of Monkish's biggest turn-offs for me: pricing. They have become more of a treat than a regular thing. Growlers approaching $30 just isn't something I'm used to, or currently interested in. When MT opened in DTLA a huge chunk of my beer resources got reallocated to them; I also prefer a pack or 6 pack of cans over a growler, which is much more easily accomplished at MT than at Monkish. Hopefully Monkish finds their mojo again --- perhaps a return to some crowd favorites is in order?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Post Reply

Return to “Beer and Spirits”