Why did I wait so long? - Le Creuset French Oven

We need this one. What do they ‘officially’ call it?

What’s the capacity on that MP?

Enough times? Not sure how many that is.

I have cooked with both, and don’t see a whit of difference in how they perform. Durability of the Lodge porcelain remains to be proven, I guess - but given Lodge’s track record for quality, I’m not concerned. Added advantage for some folks: Lodge is made in America.

thats the 2.25 quart Saucier.
Also available in 3 Q.

I own the 7 quart and can’t live without it. A note of caution however. Three weeks ago the coating started pitting on the bottom after 2 1/2 years of use. The warranty is a limited lifetime warranty. They received the pot yesterday and I am waiting for a response.

They recommend boiling only water or stock in it, otherwise low and medium heat. The warranty does not cover overheating.

Bob, fair enough. Thanks.

Bloomingdale’s is running a big sale on the line today. I haven’t seen it yet, but my wife called to tell me. Near as I can tell a little higher than the outlet pricing, but _way_off regular pricing.

Disclaimer: My wife is an outside vendor for Bloomingdales.

Well today I broke my Le Creuset cherry. I went to Woodbury Commons, they had coupons that you had to scratch off to reveal your discount. I got 30% off, so got the skillet/grill below for $84 with the tax!

I had planned on getting the 5.5qt french oven, but my mother (who knew I was looking to get one) decided to gift me with a Martha Stewart 5.5qt enameled iron french oven. I haven’t used it yet, but it is pretty solid looking.

I’m curious, Mark: how did you break it?

…meaning I finally bought my first one (broke my cherry).

Question for the people:

Staub Cocotte or Le Creuset?

doh!! b/c you posted a red pan, i assumed you broke your “cherry red” pan … i need to get my mind back in the gutter.

Fortunately, my mind never leaves the gutter. [grin.gif]

Unless you have a burning desire to overspend, Lodge.

Mes deux centimes. YMMV.

I don’t know if Staub can be found discounted anywhere, but I’ve never ever paid full price for Le Creuset and at the outlet in Flemington (NJ), I’ve even been able to haggle.

That being said, I don’t know if I’ve even seen Lodge enameled CI anywhere, but on Mr. Fleming’s say so I would be interested in checking it out.

Cabelas has it online and at their stores. I have seen them up close and they are just as well made, at least in appearance, as LC.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&selectedPerPage=&hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&_D%3Asort=+&sort=all&Ntt=lodge+enamel&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6 weeks later Le Creuset replaced the pot no questions asked. Excellent customer service.

I need to clarify my comment about boiling only water or stock in it. This is for a glass cooktop.

I’ve bought all of my Staub (which I love) on close-out (most at Sur la Table (timing is everything)). Can’t be too selective about color, but I got a 5-1/2 quart at around $100, a 7-1/2 at around $125 or 130 (I believe) and some smaller (individuals and a couple of 2-3 quarts) at very inexpensive prices. These prices reflect an additional discount available to public members of the Chicago Green City Market.

Say hello to my new little friend:
11.75 Le Creuset Skillet, piece #4 in my arsenal.

Great skillet, but it looks kinda of, um, yellow. Really yellow.

-Al