Why did I wait so long? - Le Creuset French Oven

Yeah, this is a tool not to be missed. It is phenomenal.

Paul, thanks for the info. I went to the Flemington outlets and got a 5 quart Braiser, reg. $325 for the crazy price of $124!!! 2nd quality, hard to tell what the issue may be though.

I am planning on dumping a few of my regulars out of the rotation. Not really imagining having tons of these in the future, but maybe just an oval for roasts and big chickens.

A nice investment on the Le Cru’s is to pick up the metal handle to replace the nylon one.

IIRC, 10 bucks?

We have 2 of them. FYI, there is an outlet in Madison CT, not far from NY, Boston, etc.

Creuset is GREAT!

Alas, this weekend while entertaining, I dropped and chipped the smaller oval version of the covered oven. SO got really annoyed with me… until later she dropped and cracked a pan. Expensive weekend of damaging the Crueset. Glad none of our dogs were standing around (glad none of these landed on our feet, too).

Say hello to my new little friend, and after a coupon from fellow board member Paul J. (thank you!), it only cost about 75 bucks! I am replacing my calphalon non stick saute that I make my pizza/pasta sauce in PRONTO!!

I have the same one and love it. And your welcome for the coupon.

Just piling on. I have two of them and love 'em, though I’m a little distressed since the lid of one of mine feel onto my floor and got a nice crack through it. Anyone have experience with getting lids replaced?

Find an outlet store that might have a cosmetically damaged one.

Good thing you didn’t drop it on your foot.

For me, Staub beats Le Creuset. Though Le Creuset is close second (compared to a lot of other crap you can find).

Lodge works just as well for 2/3 less money.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/enamel_dutch_oven.asp

Robert, I was hoping someone would say that.

We have been getting by with the Dansk ovenware which comes/came in vivid colors and seemed to be really “hot stuff” back in the 1970’s when we acquired most of it. But I know that compared with le Creuset and other similar Dutch ovens the metal is thin, and scorching is a constant problem, as is chipping of the enamel.

We continue to use the Dansk but we recently found a “Martha Stewart” pot at a good sale price at Macy’s, and I think it was made by Lodge, to give as a gift to a relative. My wife’s family has a “price ceiling” on family gifts so we really couldn’t do the le Creuset instead. Thus this thread has been making me worry about our purchase.

This pot weighs so much that we are still investigating how to ship the darn thing.

Year in, year out, my 7 qt round Le Creuset French Oven is my favorite pot/pan in the kitchen. I like it far better than Lodge because it’s easier to keep it clean. My French Oven has made multiple trips through the dishwasher, for example-- something you can’t do with Lodge. Hell, you’re not even supposed to use dish soap with seasoned cast iron. Our 6, 10, and 12 inch Lodge skillets are wonderful, but they never seem truly clean to me.

FWIW, I’ve never purchased the metal handle. I’ve removed the nylon one entirely for the no-knead bread-- but I’ve also left it on without any noticeable damage.

Uh, Melissa, we’re talkin’ Lodge enameled cast iron.

Oh! I didn’t realize that Lodge had an enameled line-- might be time to do some shopping.

[thankyou.gif]

Bob, I can’t say as I’ve never used Lodge. Have you been able to use both enough times to do a good comparison? As for the price, I’ve built my collection on sales, coupons and haggling so I’ve never paid full price for any item. Usually 40 to 60% off when I jump in.

Paul, any extra coupons please send one this way, I’m looking to buy first Creuset.

Mark, I may have a 30% for the month of Feb. I will kep you posted…

[welldone.gif]

Mark, nothing now but I will keep you in mind.