Why did I wait so long? - Le Creuset French Oven

Izzat Teflon?
Do real skillets have Teflon?

What would Granny Clampett say?

Not teflon. Satin finished cast iron! Very sweet indeed, but its nonstick abilities have not been put to the test. I would NEVER spend more than $29 for a teflon pan again. And even at that plan on dumping it in a year.

Well, just when you think you made a good deal, another comes along.
Two nights ago I grabbed the 8Q Oval French oven for $185. from HomeGoods.
Today we went to the Jersey Premium Outlets and I got myself a 9 inch skillet (Like the 11.75 above).

Beautiful. $95.
But the kicker is the 40% off coupon for next month!
Indeed, the 9.5 Oval (8 is an old color/size) will come down to $169 with this coupon come Oct 1st. Its back to HomeGoods this one goes.

No I need to decide what color…

these have been popping up at the local Marshall’s in nor cal as well, skillets around $75

Fugly color, though. [stirthepothal.gif]

Let the wife pick it. I have a rainbow of assorted pieces.
Tyler, this is a first quality, not the seconds that TJMaxx gets. The HomeGoods (same parent) by me only has French ovens and such.

I have to imagine its all the same quality, no?

Or are these pieces the rejects with small flaws?

Or are these pieces the rejects with small flaws?

Slight ‘blems’. Still covered under that warranty.
Some over paints, bumps, etc.

But isnt Lodge uncoated cast iron? I use cast iron, but your comparison seems odd. The le creuset has considerable advantages over cast iron in terms of ease of care… Am I misunderstanding the lodge reference?

Lodge makes some enameled pieces.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/lodge-enamel.asp

not sure if anyone answered the why is it better question but i think it comes down to heat distribution. the le creuset heat distribution is almost perfect whilst i’ve found a hot spot in the 2 lodge enamels i’ve used.

The key word here is “some”. The breadth and depth of the Lodge line is nowhere near that of either the Staub or LeCreust lines. So if Lodge has what you want then you can get the Lodge, but for many pieces Lodge just flat out doesn’t carry the item the dutch ovens in 3, 4, 6 and 7.5 qt sizes, Le Creust carry’s both larger and smaller sizes.

Note that according to http://www.lodgemfg.com/lodge-history.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the Lodge enameled cast iron is made in China, not America

This is comforting to hear as I just sent back a black onyx 6.5 qt. oval French oven which developed a chip and a crack on the inside bottom surface. They were very responsive to my query.

Where does one find the 40% off coupon???

Piece #8 joined the fray last night.
Cray price for a first quality too. $62
Discontinued color (citron) be the reason. Cool with me.

No I need a bigger kitchen to store this stuff in.

Mike - we might just have to have a Le Creuset cook-off one day!

I love the line - so much that I have a Le Creuset Tower which houses:
9" Deluxe Round Trivet
9" Skillet
Square Skillet Grill
3.5 qt Braiser
5 qt Braiser
Lg Rectangular Roaster
2 qt Round French Oven
3.5 qt Round French Oven
5 qt Round French Oven
7 qt Round French Oven

I use them ALL the time.

You need the round 13.25 quart. It will save you the expense of a gym membership. neener

Actually Bob, I think I need to do more squats and arm exercises before I can get the 13.25 so that I don’t injure myself! That’s actually pretty good motivation for me… neener

Yes; this, from Lodge: “Well into our second century in business, Lodge now imports two lines of enamel coated cast iron cookware from China.”

Bob F., do you really think that Lodge outsourced to China for reasons of quality? Not China bashing or anything, and I’m all for reciprocal trade, but some manufactured goods take a while to master, perhaps among them high quality enameled cast iron cookware.

(And sheetrock, pet food, infant formula… [wink.gif] )

SCORE!!! $72 for a beauty identical here, can’t wait to fire it up!