Seafood and worms.

Title should be Food and Worms. Plenty of other foods a typical person would consume are certainly not immune from living organisms treating them as home.

I was at a picnic one summer, and bit into a ripe, sweet strawberry. While enjoying that bite, I looked down at the remainder of the strawberry in my hand, and a worm came out of it. Luckily, it was a whole worm and not a portion of it…

Anybody here like morels? [stirthepothal.gif]

As in the “morel” of the story here?

[rofl.gif] I think…on the biological analysis here.

I have never heard of of peripheral nerves being a gourmet treat, either. But, with this “head to tail” culinary philosophy, as seen on stuff like Andrew Zimmern…maybe that’s the next delicacy. I’ll stick to escargot.

I certainly appreciate what Alan is going through though: a pretty common reaction.

In Maine in the '90s there was unlimited diver harvesting of sea urchins, which were on their way to Japan by nightfall via the Japanese merchants at the docks. I tried them and loved them…though I had little company. Then, one Xmas in Maine someone obtained a batch for me. I got sicker than I ever remember being sick…for three days of fever and upset. I uniformly resist uni since and now. I sort of lost my interest in it, to say the least. Of course, the stuff called “uni” is really the gonads of the creature, which they don’t heavily publicize, but urologists probably understand best.

Come back to Maine for a few days, Alan, and I’ll cure your worm-o-phobia…OR you’ll create mine.At least we’ll have good wines in the process.

Ooh. Ooh. Me me.

More worms there.

Just don’t tell me anything bad about gagh!

This is such a non-issue to me at this point. I had a white wriggler coming out of a piece of clearly under-cooked salmon once, and that was pretty gross, have also pulled a 3 inch black worm out of a piece of halibut before (dead in this case), but lessons learned- I inspect white fish for any dark spots and ensure to cook salmon properly and all is well.

Not eating fish because it might have worms is somewhat akin to not traveling out of fear of terrorism. You have just as much of a chance to choke on a hot dog in the safety of your own tin foil hat.

Don’t ask what’s in your grain

1st read that as ‘groin’. Phew.

A couple of times I’ve soaked morels in salt water it looked very much like Alan describes his swordfish in the marinade.

I once had a piece of cake (deliberately) made with (earth)worms.

They had been fed cornstarch (or something) to clean them out first. Couldn’t tell they were there–no taste or other sensation.

In case you’re wondering, this was dessert at the final dinner of a foraging class.

Thanks Peter, almost tossed my coffee with that one!

You can have my piece of cake at that party.

You know those hard candy “Boston Baked Beans”?

I wish the Mods would lock this thread from any additional posts now.

[worship.gif] my pleasure! But if you read a thread with a title like this, what do you expect? :wink:

Red color is carmine…crushed beetle shells.

Honey is stomach-processed and regurgitated flower nectar, known also as bee vomit.

We were at a VERY nice restaurant in NYC when my wife was 9 months pregnant and she ordered the cod. Halfway through her meal, a little light pink worm stands up and gives us a wiggle out of her fish. The manager swooped in so fast my head spun, and they had a very quiet but intense freak out considering she was pregnant.

This was our last expensive meal before she was due, so we had gone all out. The restaurant apologized profusely, offered us tons of freebies, then comped the entire meal (which would have been VERY expensive as there was lots of Champagne being drunk by me).

Luckily, she is not squeamish (her mom is a sushi chef), but it was a bit surprising to see that at such a nice place. Needless to say, we did go back several times as we love the food and trust the kitchen. Everyone has an off day now and then.

You think bee vomit is bad…

IMG_1688.JPG
Besides being a fungi what else is wrong with morels? Just found a few more in my woods today.

Lots of little surprises in fresh porcini, too. I often blanch them quickly in a weak vinegar solution before gently picking. The first time I did, I was appalled at the number of larva wiggling out