Seafood and worms.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a type of fish that doesn’t get ‘worms.’

Goes with the territory, I guess.

If anyone knows of any types of parasite-less fish, let me know!

Most creatures are loaded with them, even human beings.

Can anybody tell me what is the matter with worms? Unless there is some disease involved, should just be good high protein food. I’ve eaten my fair share, never had a health problem I could relate to them.

Dan Kravitz

Ummmmm, pretty sure we all drink wine…bite, sip, repeat. Sterilize those bellies gents… pileon

When I had an internship at a winery I was watching a gondola of white grapes get unloaded and then sent to the fermenters. Upon inspection, I noticed a small lizard. Then a second and third. Told the operator. He said “yeah, all sorts of nasty sh*t in there.”

Lots of bug and animal proteins in wine.

In the end, the worms will win over all of us.

What goes around comes around…

I’ve never found a worm in any of the cans of tuna I’ve opened, and not in any of the Veleta sardines either.

But I think my wife would never eat seafood again if one of us found a worm in a piece of fresh fish.

But she has probably eaten un-found ones.

I still feel sick from yesterday. Did not help with a google search either.

By the way, crabs and lobster are scavengers.

They are bugs themselves too but for some reason that doesn’t bother me.

This sounds ugly.

But, as someone said, I’d rather eat this protein (including the worms) than most other protein.

I’ve always wondered whether urologists and obstetricians have “less fun” because of what they do. Lucikily, most of us don’t have access to micro and other scopes.

Time to abandon sushi? And, substitute escargots?

For a really good video on removing the worms Removing Worms from Fish - YouTube. The narrator looks like Marie-Andree Mugneret looked the first time I met her…in 1988, so it won’t freak you out. And, remember…what the chefs say…if the worm is still alive, the fish is fresh. Of course, even worse than finding a worm in your fish is finding a half a worm, I guess. pileon

I have to say…Alan, you’ve found more worms , etc. in the recent past than I’ve found in 50+ years of eating seafood and 20+ years of cooking/visiting Maine. Maybe the stuff we get on the east coast is less susceptible to burrowing buggers, but…I only wonder what’s in most meats. (I’m assuming the worms were in the fish when the fish was still swimming? And, not after.

And, to be very serious…I have found worms in swordfish at least once. I just cut around the burrowing.

What are you going to drink with all those grand cru WBurgs you and Jerry regularly down?

Premox and worms …could eliminate the need for WB.

turns out that what I thought was a worm, pictured above, was a peripheral nerve. I brought it to a pathologist who is a parasite expert. He processed it after failing to see any organ structures and, under the microscope, determined conclusively, that it was not a worm, but just a nerve. My other three incidents certainly were worms. Anyone who says he has not found worms in fish has not looked.

I’ve found worms in fish before cooking, and sometimes after. Still doesn’t stop me from eating sushi.

Now I’ll start looking for them! Damn, ignorance was certainly bliss.

I’ve read that “candling” fish helps find worms, sort of like decanting a wine over a light. Will try that.

Yuck.