Seafood and worms.

Lucky you! [cheers.gif] Worms be damned.

Actually, IIRC morels, being on the thin and leathery side, tend to have fewer critters in them than softer mushrooms.

Critters can occasionally burrow in the nooks and crannies and especially in the tube connecting the stem to the cap.

Once you’re encountering Morels in a restaurant, all that should have been brushed and flushed out. At home, it’s one you to do it yourself. Clean, brush and wash out Morels - though a good wild source will know to do this too.

When I was in college I spent a couple summers working at a salmon cannery in Alaska. I was amazed at the number of worms in the fish, although it was interesting how the number varied based on the species. The Chinook, Coho, and Sockeye had very few worms, while the Pink and Chum (Keta) salmon were totally infested.

Found this one today, soaked it in salt water and one little roly-poly bug ended up coming out. I don’t know about others, but when I cook morels, I clean them inside and out, and then slice them up. Otherwise, they’re a bit too big…unless they are little ones. Then I’d halve them.
IMG_1690.JPG

Watch out for worms in citrus too! Found this one tonight… bleh
IMG_1693.JPG

Alan - Two questions.

1. Is your photo of the nerve thingy you found in the flounder?

2. Was the salmon wild or farmed? And is there any greater likelihood in one or the other? I could imagine that farmed fish might be more prone to parasites – or less, if they are fed something to ward them off.

Yes, I always cut mine open and wash them carefully after finding a few too many critters in some a few years back.

yes, the nerve. Farmed is less likely to have parasites than wild but has other issues–that’s what I have read.

Thanks.

As it happened, my wife insisted on buying salmon yesterday – after I’d read this thread. “Thanks, Alan, for spoiling my appetite completely,” I was thinking.

Fortunately, neither of us was in the mood for a full meal when we got home from the store, so the nauseous thought have been postponed. (It’s frozen sockeye.)

By the way, what did you preserve that nerve before taking it to the lab? Do you have formaldehyde around the house? Grain alcohol? Or did you use leftover Coche Dury? [wink.gif]

Feel free to come harvest all you want. Here’s what I pulled when cleaning the back patio this weekend.
20170421_113329.jpg
20170421_113339.jpg

Escargots are good, but also riddled with very tiny parasites, including worms.
Mustard cream sauce is ideal wormicide.

Yeah, who could have imagined THAT?

Some people even eat dead cows…imagine that.

What about Shrimp??

Wanna know what hot dogs are made out of?

Something far worse than worms.

Parts not used for pet food.

63UlBsdElsY

Eat Kosher dogs. You’ll be fine

Lettuce!