RUM ... talk to me, people

Great effing rum! Just gave the wife a bottle as a Channukah gift on Sunday. She loved it as well. Ain’t I a smartypants? [highfive.gif]

Actually, Jorge, this skipped my mind and you’ll like the story even better…

For Thanksgiving, a Dominican doorman who is friends with my Mexican delivery guy gave him a 200ml of Brugal Extra Viejo for Thanksgiving. This stuff rivals Barbancourt 15 for it’s aromatic complexity and delicacy. I wish it was available in the USA! [cry.gif]

1 Like

Big fan of Vizcaya cuban styled Rum. Available for ~$40 in this area.

It’s not?!?!? News to me! You can probably find all you want in Washington Heights. If not, I can get you some after the holidays with someone from home. Let me know.

Jorge,

Definitely not available via Southern, the distributor in NY. If it’s available in WH that must be the, umm…, ‘Grey Market’ supply. [wow.gif]

Merry Christmas Brent!

http://www.vinquire.com/wines/search/buy/Brugal-Extra-Viejo/?sr=1&gclid=CPWLlPmY4qUCFeYD5QodOHDe2A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You do believe in Christmas/Santa/JC right? If you don’t, then you can’t click on the link. neener

Anyone ever have Zaya Gran Reserva 12 year old? I was gifted a bottle…I don’t drink rum.

Gift perhaps? Flavor profile?

Jorge,

Crow I will eat tonight.

T-Bone,

Zaya is a heavy-bodied, richer style of rum to me. It’s good, but not a favorite, and unless you want a rum that you should sip like cognac it might be good to re-gift.

Prichard’s Fine Rum. Domestic.

Not overly woody. Caramel, fruity, floral. If you like Pyrat XO you’d like this.

This is really not true. A lot of people like to rip on Patron but they are still a good company. If it wasn’t for them (in the '80s) there would not be a premium Tequila market in the United States (there would only be Cuervo). Up through around 2003 their Tequila was basically Siete Leguas, which is one of the finest Tequilas out there. When they decided to build their own, massive, space they hired away Siete Leguas Master Distiller, Francisco Alcaraz (commonly referred to as El Diablo). Their Tequilas are still very well-made . . . and certainly well-marketed. The fact that they bought Pyrat is probably good for the brand. I doubt seriously the brand will decline. If anything you will read stories, perhaps written by spirits geeks (with no proof), lamenting the sale and swearing off Pyrat in the future. This is similar to a company like LVMH buying another small Champagne house. Has Krug or Dom changed for the worse?

H/T- Thanks to booze columnist Jason Wilson for some of the info here.

If you haven’t tried it, NEISSON RHUM AGRICOLE BLANC, is pretty awesome stuff for cocktails.

An interesting aside on Pyrat :

http://slowcocktails.squarespace.com/dispatches/2010/11/24/pyrat-says-aaarghnge-and-why.html

Sea Wynde and Angostura 1824 are really on top of my list of rums right now.

Smith and Cross is one of the best mixing rums.

I have been disappointed in the Renegade Rum series from the Bruidiladdich folks. Not bad, but just too aberrant for mixing and not complete enough for sipping.

A.

Thanks for the link.

I was going to pull the trigger on some of the Renegade. I might hold off now.

I never had Pyrat before, and I quite like it. The article is very interesting, and makes a LOT of sense. The orange flavoring is definitely prominent, particularly on the nose, but it really doesn’t taste artificial - good to know it truly isn’t.

Picked up a few bottles of this coming back from the DR this spring …

For my D&S I use Fever Tree Ginger Beer and this … yum!

I think your forgetting the “Original” Chinaco great stuff …

I think your forgetting the “Original” Chinaco great stuff …

For something different try Bank’s Rum.

It is a white rum, but is extremely complex. Really good straight up ice cold.

Also makes a really wicked Mojito as it is very botanical.

There is an awesome mojito recipe on the cocktail page on the Bank’s rum website above called the Kew Garden.

Give it a shot.

George

Diplomatico 12 Year

One of the best spirits I’ve ever tasted. I paid $25 or so here.

The Rum Diary

Seems appropriate for the Rum thread.