RUM ... talk to me, people

Zaya and One Barrel are a couple of my favs. Definitely worth checking out both of those. One Barrel is from Belize, Zaya I can’t remember off the top of my head where it’s from.

A new favorite rum:

Zafra Master Reserve 21 year cask aged.

[wow.gif]

1 Like

Mt. Gay rum is what I enjoy most. Mt. Gay Extra old is the best I’ve had. Mt. Gay XO is not worth the 100 IMO.

My new favorite and the best I have tasted.

El Dorado 21

1 Like

Yep…Thanks to a fellow board member…I am getting ready to start working on a bottle!

Picked a bottle fo this up last week and really like it. It has the right balance of sweetness as I find some of the Rums taste more like sherry than Rum. This is just perfect. It is made in Panama

George

The El Dorado are excellent in their style, I like them a lot. I could drink my weigth in the 15yr.

I also like Neisson and Rhum J.M. from Martinique. I use the Agricole for Ti punch.

I use Gosslings for Dark & Stormys.

Barbancourt is good as well and was my gateway drug.

Ron Barrilito, Puerto Rico - 2 and 3-star. Just hit my rum spot right. Second is Flor de Cana, Honduras, in a variety of ages. Zaya and Pyrat are tasty but not quite there for me.

Sounds like a cool dude.

Drinking Ron Zacapa Centenario XO Rum Solera Gran Reserva Especial right now. This is probably the closet (in quality and deliciousness) to the El Dorado 21. Both of these destroy all of the Appleton Estate Rums FWIW. Still haven’t tried Pyrat.

We held a big rum tasting this evening (over 100 rums), and the guys from the Spirits dept told me to make sure I try the Zafra. Holy hell! That was amazing. No heat, delicate, slight butterscotch and a bit of baking spices on the finish. Really lovely.

And for the price, it KILLS

1 Like

Yeah he is…but I wont taste the greatness for another 40 days…

My current favorite combo for Dark & Stormy’s is Ron Atlantico Private Cask rum and Regatta Authentic Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer. Both are worth seeking out as they make the most refreshing D&S’s I’ve had to date. Don’t forget to use lots of fresh lime!

Goslings and Blenheim’s pink top. Very spicy ginger ale. I also use a dollop of Velvet Falernum and approx half a lime.

Magic.

Not a big fan of Regatta Ginger Beer. Whenever I have bought it in the northeast, it doesn’t quite seem ‘fresh.’

I love Gosling’s Ginger Beer, even though it is contract-made by Pepsi. pepsi

Barrett’s Ginger Beer, contract-made by Coke, is weak and terrible, not recommended.

I also can get Reed’s Organic Ginger Beer quite readily. I prefer the spicy.

I used to like Old Tyme, but I have not seen that in years.

Any other Ginger Beer recommendations?

Not ginger beer, but the best ginger ale I’ve had (Click: Blenheim’s). Adored locally in the Carolinas.

I used to drink Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva but I’ve really enjoyed The Scarlet Ibis this past year.

Aaron

I’m back to using Reed’s now as that’s what my bride prefers. I recently tried a ginger beer made by Ginger People, the company that is better known for their sauces, marinades, and candies. It was OK but not as good as others we’ve tried.

Drinking some Ron Zacapa 23yr tonight!