RUM ... talk to me, people

For those who enjoy a dark sipping rum, you’ve got to try Ron Centenario Gran Riserva 25 - it reminds me of the carmelized sugar crust atop a creme brulee - not just the carmelized sugar, but a bit of the custard flavor from the creme brulee itself. Really fantastic stuff when sipped cold (I keep mine in the freezer, and sip it as it warms to room temperature).

(A birthday gift from our very own Veronica Castro) flirtysmile

I bought a bottle of this rum just last week. It’s delicious. A bit lighter than I am used to but very tasty nevertheless.

Tried The Scarlet Ibis from Trinadad last night and generally enjoyed it.

Not a fan. Not saying it is bad, but it is just too middle of the road and gets lost in cocktails surprisingly more than many commercial brands.

A.

Andrew, tasted it by itself. Kinda had an off-putting nose at first, but turned the corner. I’ll wait to make a firm judgement until I try it in a cocktail.

I am going to bring up a rum which I haven’t tasted.

In Ernest Hemingway’s book, “A Moveable Feast” he describes his life in Paris in the 1920’s.

He memorably mentions enjoying Rum Saint James, which is made in Martinique.

It made me want to try a bottle some day, and perhaps some of you might also want to try and see what he was talking about. There are some good reviews of this rum on the web.

Of course down in the Keys and Cuba, Rum is a very important drink, and Hemingway also enjoyed several mixed drinks based on rum.

I’m not his biggest fan but I enjoyed his books, and I remember where I was the day he died.

I’ve been drinking Ron Barcelo Imperial and love it. It is made in the Dominican Republic.

I bought a bottle of Pyrat a few years ago and although I thought it was very drinkable but it was way too sweet and tasted really fake to me. Pusser’s tasted like really nasty wood (I know that’s the point but meh). I’ve tried many other more expensive types of rum by the glass but I can’t remember any standouts really.

I usally stick to the Appleton Estate, Mount Gay or…for the price if you can get some REAL Havana Club 7 it’s great.

Anyone had the different runs from Rhum Clement?

Havana Club 7 is good, indeed.

Enjoying Rinaldo Black Label right now…on ice

I agree with the Barbancourt. I also like the Brugal Extra Anejo for sipping…and you cannot beat the price

Surprised Zaya only got one mention. It’s decidedly sweet and luscious, and pairs amazingly well with cigars. Also a big fan on Ron Zacapa, but I’d give the edge to Zaya. The only problem with the stuff is it’s too damn easy to drink. As I learned on Friday night.

Was in Cuba back in April. Found Havana Club Selección de Maestros. I think I drank a bottle of this stuff all by myself. I’m all for dropping the embargo just to get this imported.

Until then, I’ll just work on finishing my bottle of Ron Abuelo 7-Year.

[quote=“Paul Miller”]Found Havana Club Selección de Maestros. I think I drank a bottle of this stuff all by myself. I’m all for dropping the embargo just to get this imported./quote]

Scored a bottle of this while in France last year…really great stuff.

welcome back, meathead

Just picked up the El Dorado 12 and am really impressed. Delicious on its own and pretty spectacular in a Dark and Stormy. I’ll have to seek out the 15, but for ~ $25 the 12 is going to be really hard to beat.

Scott

Has anyone tried the OLD NEW ORLEANS RUMS yet? Head and shoulders above any other domestic rums, the Amber is age in bourbon barrels for three years minimum and colored with freshly made caramel on-site (spooned into the barrels while it’s still hot) - final distillation goes through a 90 gallon perfume still built in 1930 in Paris. The Cajun Spice is the only spiced Rum I’ve ever had that I could drink straight, and is a revelation mixed with black tea - really worth the search -

DISCLAIMER: I do represent the Old New Orleans rums in the Midwest - but they really, truly do match up to the greatest island rums - even the White is pretty special.

I just tried the Appleton Estate 21 Year Old and Ron Zacapa 23 year old Solera rums. I can’t say I much cared for the Appleston Estate but the Zacapa blew me away. Extremely rich and mellow, perfectly integrated heat, I could actually enjoy drinking this neat as well as cook with it. Beautiful stuff indeed. I intend to pick up the El Dorado 21 Year old as well.

I’ve enjoyed the Appletons I’ve had, although I don’t remember which they were. Being in Jamaica while so sampling likely contributed to my enjoyment of them. :slight_smile:

Enjoyed an Old Fashioned last week made with both gold rum and Smith & Cross rum…funky and outstanding. When in Portland, go to the Rum Club bar.