Manwich. OMFG

Yum! Seconds, anyone?

Have some tomato paste on hand. If you feel it’s too sloppy…

I remember my mom making her sloppy joes with Gumbo soup mix and burger. Not sure my wife would let me make them, now-a -days

Well, a can of Campbell’s (e.g.) tomato soup has something like 30g of sugar (mostly HFCS). Compare that to 18g of sugar (all from the tomatoes) in a 6 oz can of Muir Glen tomato paste – which has at least two or three times the amount of actual tomato as the can of soup.

If I wanted to make Sloppy Joes, I’d start with onions and garlic, add tomato paste, maybe a dash of Worchestershire, add a little water (or Guinness) to achieve desired consistency, and then add browned meat.

Yes, I wasn’t too crazy about the soup idea. I would definitely use canned tomato instead.

I like this recipe much more.

When do we start arguing about the type of bun to use and how much to toast it?

Solution for Chris Freemott:
Put the rugrats to work, especially in the kitchen. [cheers.gif]

What’s to argue about? Hamburger bun from bread aisle of chain grocery store, sesame seeds, oversized, toasted not in the least.

Nah, you’re missing out. Oversized buns don’t work for sloppy’s. Pedestrian white bun, butter and broil, a little mayo, a slice of Kraft all american cheese and the sloppy mix. The butter and broil gives the bun a nice crusaty ring around the edges that keeps the meat inside the buns and off your hands. (made with the soup because tomato paste or tomato sauce makes it too acidic and too tomatoey. Is that a word? The soup has far less sugar than the previous recipes and with the tomato you need sugar to balance the acid. Just not too much. Besides, the herbs balance out all the flavors nicely. YMMV.

We’re talking sloppy joe’s, what next Flannery ground beef and brioche?

I just got a shiver up my spine with the “mayo” reference. Sheesh

I think you misunderstood… my oversized bun isn’t a kaiser roll or anything, just a larger but very pedestrian white bun. And I was kiddingly going for some sort of “standard” as in, "it ain’t a sloppy joe unless it’s this school cafeteria approved formula. But I do applaud your sloppy joe enthusiasm.

There’s something genetically wrong with people who don’t like mayo. [tease.gif]

Mayo is the spawn of Satan.

Brian, I agree with you as far as mayo is concerned, in general, but mayo on a sloppy joe sounds kinda gross. Just sayin’. [snort.gif]

For me anything with bread short of a PBJ that doesn’t have some mayo on it is a waste. [wow.gif]

True dat. I can’t imagine chicken, egg or tuna salad without mayo, I eat it on turkey sandwiches sometimes and occasionally on French Fries, but I’d way rather eat a plain mayo sandwich on Wonder bread than put mayo on Sloppy Joe’s [bleh.gif]

I think we gotta agree not to go to three pages over a manwich.

Bump.

You’re on the right track, but the way to do this is buttered-face down on hot metal.