Manwich. OMFG

I can’t believe it but I’m making sloppy joes tonight. [snort.gif]

Why not? How many pages was the KFC buffet thread? [snort.gif]

I heard back from my brother in law who cooked Sloppy Joes for 80 (!!) at the homeless shelter in December.

This looks much less sugary than some of the recipes here. And as he points out, there is little kitchen work required to put this together, mostly opening jars and bottles. It smelled great and I think it must have tasted quite good.

1 LB ground beef, drained (I use 80% for flavor)
1-1/2 tsp. chili powder
1-1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
½+ tsp. coarse black pepper
1/3 c. dry chopped onion
1T+. vinegar
1T+. Worcestershire
1T+. Prepared yellow mustard
3T. minced red bell pepper (only effort required!)
3/4c. ketchup (I use Heinz)
3/4c. tomato sauce
6T. salsa
2T. barbeque sauce
2T. tomato paste
1/2tsp. granulated garlic

Simmer all for at least 20 minutes. Recommend to make at least a day in advance of serving.

Easy to make and lots of flavors; to serve 80, multiply by 20!!

What does “drained” ground beef mean? newhere

Merrill,

A lot of storebought ground beef has been frozen at some point and will give up a lot of water if you crumble it and put it in a sieve, etc. If you try to brown meat like that it gives up so much water that it steams unless you put in far less meat than you normally would. I imagine that draining just means crumbling it up and leaving it in a colander or something to let that water go away.

It means brown it first and then drain off the fat.

A little rusty on my sloppies, 1-1/2 lbs for sure. I used 1.2 and it needs to reduce a little so go with more meat. It’s been a few years (6 or so) since the kids were still living at home so I haven’t made them since then. Daughter came over tonight and was excited about me making them though. So I scored points. Thanks for the thread!
Pairing with an 05 Angelo Negro e Figli Nebbiolo.

Awesome. 2 pages on this. I’m proud.

but the fat’s the good part!!

Discussed this with Carrie during a smoke break this evening. She informed me that she doctors up the canned Manwich with liquid smoke and additional seasonings, so I guess it could be as bad as you say.

It ceases to be comfort food if you drain off the fat.

The fat marbling a nice steak is good fat. The fat rendered from ground beef is grease.

[truce.gif]

[shock.gif] [shock.gif] [shock.gif] [shock.gif]

How do they make the change from marbling to grease??

So tell whoever wrote the recipe.

Nice visual.

BTW, Tex, love the “cows gone wild” avatar. Looks like somebody went to a lot trouble to create it. Must be part of something bigger that would likely make me LMAO. What is the origin?

Clearly Fremont would use Miracle Whip.

“Mostly opening jars and bottles” basically guarantees that something is going to be very sugary.
I mean these ingredients alone have a ton of sugar in them:
3/4c. ketchup (I use Heinz)
3/4c. tomato sauce
6T. salsa
2T. barbeque sauce

and bell peppers are very sweet.

The folks at the homeless shelter asked for the recipe and took out the ketchup to bring the sugar down. I would say that most salsa is not that sweet, I eat a lot of salsa and when I hit a sweet one I don’t buy it again.

On the other side of the coin, SOME sweetness is part of what makes it a sloppy Joe. If you want it completely “dry” you are making chili.

I found it online looking for something completed random. No clue what the actual origin of the pic is.