Manwich. OMFG

Here you go:

We called this BBQ beef, but it is really sloppy joe’s. It is my Gradfather’s recipe and date’s to the 30’s or 40’s.

One chuck roast
Teaspoon of liquid smoke
Tablespoon of Chile Powder (you can substitute with good effect an envelope of Taco Bell Chipotle taco seasoning)
Tablespoon of Garlic Powder
One diced onion
Juice of one Lemon
Teaspoon of Yellow Mustard
Bottle of Ketchup (about 12 oz.)
Barely enough water to cover (rinse out the ketchup bottle)

In a stainless steel pot or enamel coated dutch oven, Brown the chuck roast on all sides, toss in all the other ingredients. Cover, but put a toothpick between the lid so some of the steam can escape. Place on the back of the stove covered on low or in a low oven until the meat shreds easily with a fork. If you’re looking to be health conscious, refrigerate and skim any fat. Otherwise shred with a fork, removing any large pieces of fat you find. If you put this in a 225 oven, you can do everything in the morning and it will be ready in the evening. You can do a big batch and throw in a vacuum bag and throw in the freezer.

DO NOT PREPARE IN A CROCK POT.

Serve on toasted buns. I like a piece of cheese on mine. YMMV.

For a second there I thought I would have had to move this thread to NSFW. [shock.gif]

Nah. We can later re-title as a “My Kid is Sick” thread.

Bob Wood loves this one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/super-sloppy-joes-recipe/index.html

I’m sooo getting a can of this stuff next chance I get. Nothing is what it used to be. HFCS and I suppose just margin increasing innovation in general has made all the terrible food of my childhood into hideous food.
But how hard can it be to adlib a sloppy joe? Onions, garlic, peppers, powders, flour, tomatoes, maybe a little vinegar… are we done? That’s gotta be roughly it.
Follow up question: upon adult (-ish) reflection, who would eat a sloppy joe by choice, not forgetting that OP what’s his face didn’t say this exactly.
But I’m halfway done making chili here! I’m having chili instead!

Chris, my kids an hour ago ate their first Eggo waffles. I explained to them that I didn’t eat my first homemade waffle till I was their age living instead on cereal, pop tarts and Eggo’s and their lives are the reverse. I can’t remember the last time they cleaned their plates like this. I didn’t even taste it. It’s all gone. Brats.

I used to do the sloppy joe’s with the seasoning packet (plus possibly canned tomato sauce- can’t recall) that you add to your own ground beef… I don’t remember that being that sweet…

Never had the canned stuff- Have always hated any canned stuff other than Nalley Chile. Chef Boyardee, Spaghettios, manwich, etc- those have always been the devil’s food.

I would prefer to eat pigeons raised on the corner of Broadway and Lawrence.

Please, Victor. “Local, free-range squab” is the preferred terminology.

Almost - “Free Range Uptown Squab” [cheers.gif]

… “sustainably harvested”. Excellent. Apropos of David’s observation, I assume they sell at a premium.

2#'s of costco hamburger. 2 cans of red sugar crap. This thread.

McB is correct - it really cannot be that hard to emulate and in looking I see that many have used Penzy’s Chili 3000 as the base seasoning.

I happen to like them and consider them a bit of a comfort food. I was NOT expecting the flavors I received in the can. My son’s comment was - these are are NOT what I like. The school makes what I like.

When I’m defeated by a school cafeteria it is time to regroup.

My childhood was perhaps idyllic.

Not really idyllic Victor. The result is, at times, questioned.

1 lb Gr Beef
1 Can Tomato Soup
1 Tsp Ground Mustard
1 Tsp Poultry Seasoning
1/2 Tsp Thyme
1-1/2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar

Brown beef, add seasonings and then soup. Heat 5 minutes and serve on toasted buns. Can’t get any easier.
Ketchup? Ugh…

Sometimes I’ll saute some chopped onion with the meat but it makes it too sweet for me.

Can I get a big “AMEN” from the congregation? It’s kinda like racing your car against a 1959 VW bug and losing.

Amen.

This sounds pretty reasonable. No offense to the posters who put up a couple of the other recipes, but the ketchup and additional sugar still sounds way too sweet for me.

It does look good, but tomato soup seems like it’s too wet to only heat for five minutes and serve.
Then again, they are sloppy joes, and I know you boys like em REALLLL SLOPPY!

Just try it. Sometimes I use 1-1/2lbs of beef but then it’s not as sloppy.