Looking for a good sipping Tequila...

I would recommend Tapatio and Muchote, both are really nice tequilas and would fit almost any palate.

I recommend Clase Azul also but Forteleza is outstanding IMO considering it’s fairly easy to get around here.

Casa Dragones.

All others mentioned are JV in comparison.

I thought you liked the DeLeon too!

I did, very much, but Casa Dragones is the shizzle.

I’d rather drink mezcal. Especially Del Maguey Tobala, followed by Del Maguey Chichicapa.

Picked up some ArteNom 1414 Reposado last week which is pretty tasty - similar flavor profile to the Tequila Ocho Reposado.

Yeah…not so much…
Dragones is a joven meaning most of it is unaged. They do add some anejo (not a hell of a lot since its pretty clear in the glass and fairly neutral tasting) So if you’re looking for a cleaner patron silver this might be for you (and its damned smooth if you just want to swallow some clear spirit) but for complexity with smoke, caramel, cigar box and all the notes one typically gets in brown sipping spirits, even a $50 cabo anejo is better than this imho. Unless you know of some anejo version i’ve never heard about…

Humberto - personally, I’m not a huge fan of anejo sipping tequilas, I prefer silver. What silvers do you feel are better than Casa Dragones? The comparison to Patron Silver is, imho, not at ALL accurate, in my experience.

If you like to sip silver tequila, try a quality mezcal. You will never go back.

Not a fan of mezcal - just like I’m not a fan of Scotch

Really enjoyed Don Weber. Had never had it before. …received it as a birthday present and it was purchased from Roberto. I need to buy some more.

Cheers!
Marshall

That was my point. To say everything else in the thread is JV is comparing apples to oranges. It’s more appropriate to compare Patron silver to Dragones than to compare Dragones to any anejo. Yes Dragones is better but it is in a similar style to Patron silver or that ultra premium silver Patron can’t recall what it’s called, or ocho silver which btw might be as good as Dragones if the reposado is any indication… I’m not a fan of silver tequila at all. Just got Burdeos in…can’t wait to try it.

I’ve never understood the appeal of silver tequila, if I am going to make a margarita or other tequila based cocktail I still want to taste the tequila so I go with reposado. If I want to drink it neat I go with anejo.

-for the folks that enjoy silver tequilas-how do you consume them?

Most tequila aficionados prefer silver tequila because it is pure and unadulterated. Anejo and reposado mostly show wood characteristics. Like wine, there is no right or wrong answer however.

Funny that you say that John. In my very subjective experience other than the people on this thread who have said they like to sip on silver Ive never seen or even heard of anyone order a tequila silver neat and sip on it. Its always anejo or reposado. My few friends who collect also only care for anejo. Different areas…
As you say though, there is no right answer.

I think the tequila marketing machine may have something to do with it, people think they “should” like anejo, so they do.

I also prefer sipping blancos to reposado or anejo. I’ve never had a reposado that I would sip. I have had anejos I could and would but find more pleasure in blancos.

Never ran into the marketing machine. I cant really think of an anejo ad even. But for me tequila is third or fourth in line after wine, scotch, and bourbon. It is in a tight race with rum. All barrel aged and sharing some barrel qualities (some wines excepted of course)

The marketing is that good… [foilhat.gif]

Hahahaha