Looking for a good sipping Tequila...

This is really interesting:

http://www.details.com/blogs/daily-details/2014/05/cracking-tequilas-code-how-to-id-the-distillery-and-see-if-they-make-quality-stuff.html

Especially for new brands and small startups.

Was in SF picking up wine on Sat, and one of the shops I stopped at had the three Partida tequilas on sale. Didn’t get any then and spent the drive home thinking I should have - stopped at my local market on Sun and it was on sale there also (so maybe a wider promotion?). Grabbed a bottle of the Blanco, which is quite good, distinct citrus with a clean agave flavor. Used to take multiple bottles to Burning Man several years ago but haven’t bought any in a while, so it was a nice (re)find.

I get Corzo Blanco for $25 and enjoy it neat. It’s a good deal. Anyone that has tried it, likes it a lot. We also like their Reposado which we bought a few bottles after stumbling on a great sale ($35).

A generous friend brought over this bottle of Herradura Tequila Seleccion Suprema for my birthday a couple weeks ago. Sipping the leftovers. It’s a good example of a drink I can admire without actually loving. It’s very complex and smooth, but it has an almond flavor that I’m not a big fan of. I rarely drink tequila, so maybe that’s a typical flavor.
image.jpg

Ryan, you’re drinking wood at this point. The extra Anejo category was established in 2006 and has a minimum requirement of three years in oak barrels. Its not my favorite. All you taste is oak and not Tequila.

Saw this in my local Costco. In this packaging, MUST be a good sipping tequila… http://www.napacabs.com/Old-Carbine-Tequila-Reposado-1L-In-Store-Pick-Up-Only-P6960.aspx

Sort of related…

Anyone have a go-to sipping Mezcal? I was on a kick for a while but haven’t really done much liquor sipping lately, getting a hankering for some nice, smoky Mezcal.

Sombra is probably my pick. Thought I also like Illegal. The Vida from Del Maguey is very good too.

Casa Noble

Tasted the Herradura Ultra last night. Not yet released in the US (I’m in Mexico FWIW). Think it should be released in March. It was amazing. Also tried the new Casa Dragones Blanco. This is great stuff as well, and at a fraction of the price of the flagship.

I’m getting some of this immediamente

Todd, I know its in NYC, Miami and Vegas. I would assume LA too, though I can’t confirm. Should be @$75 . . .

Hi Time Wine, baby…

Having my first shot of this, and I agree. Spice, citrus, earthy cactus, and nice intensity. Maybe just a tiny bit sweeter than I like but overall one of the best tequilas I’ve tasted.

Corazon Anejo

Last weekend we spent several hours at the empty bar at La Condesa in St Helena. Check out their tequila/mezcal list

http://www.lcnapa.com/images/Beverage1.4.15.pdf

Chatted up the bartender (also a manager and/or the spirits buyer) and he gave us tastes of some pretty high end stuff.

Absolutely agree. Easily 80-90%% of the flagship blanco - absolutely fantastic

I might have to get you to grab a couple for me and bring them with you here! None in my market yet. :frowning:

Serious? Yeah, let me know…it’s frighteningly close to the stuff I had at your house, and it even has a heavy metal cap

If you can that would be great. I can PayPal you now if you like?