Looking for a good sipping Tequila...

Between their blanco and reposato, do you recommend one over the other? FWIW, I like both styles. Thanks.

They are both good – but I prefer the reposado. It’s the only non-mixing tequila I keep.

Irrational, but I just picked up a back-up bottle. This stuff is so good and, relative to the quality, cheap.

Has anyone tried the Extra Anejo? I’m not that big a tequila drinker, but if the regular bottlings are this good, I’m curious.

Fortaleza Reposado - delicious!

This.

A generous friend shared some with me this past weekend. Ho-lee smokes! I had no idea tequila could be this good.

Clase Azul Reposado if you like smooth and sweet.
Jose Cuervo de la Familia if you like it bold and spicy.

Has anyone had any of the Buffalo Trace barrel aged Tequila from Corazon?

I have the one aged in Pappy Van Winkle. Fantabulous. They left a slight amount residual sugar. Fantabulous. They also make one using Sazerac barrels.

Back to a “normal” tequila, find Don Fulano Anejo, or if dollars to spare, Extra Anejo.

Cool, thanks for the info. I had a friend buy me a Pappy, but maybe I should go for the Stagg and Sazerac as well…not sure one could tell the difference though?

Big fan of the Ocho Reposado also, grab a bottle every time I’m in K&L picking up a wine order.

I need to try Don Fulano…

Adobo Grill in Chicago does a monthly tequila dinner. Couple of years ago they did Ocho. Very nice stuff. At the time, they were focused on vintage tequila. Have not yet had their Repasado or Anejo tequila yet. But we tasted 3 years of their Blanco and enjoyed.

A few months ago, they did a dinner with Don Fulano. I think that is the tequila I enjoyed the most. Last month was Corazon. We even got a sample bottle to take home of Adobo selected single barrel Repasado. For dessert we got to try the Pappy tequila. I just really enjoyed it. I liked the slight extra sweetness.

I think I saw four different bottlings from Tequila Ocho at BevMo today. I have never tried this stuff, only gifted a bottle once. I need to change that, I love the concept.

In case anyone is interested in this month’s dinner

http://www.adobogrill.com/oldtown/events.aspx#e1059

If you’ve never had anything from DeLeon you should try it quick. The prices are set to take a big jump this year. Really good stuff.

I only sip anejos and love the 1942 but I like cabo anejo even better and its half the price. Really like cabo uno. Uno is expensive but very interesting in that cabo anejo is to Lagavulin what uno is to dalwhinnie. Unos is much softer and has hints of vanilla rather than the big toast factor. Plcb has ocho anejo on special order. Ill be trying that soon.

fyi, Feb 22nd is National Margarita Day. Enjoy.

We had a nice visit from an owner and a salesman for Clase Azul yesterday. They poured their Blanco and Reposado that’s already in our market, plus their new Anejo and Ultra Anejo. This stuff is unreal. The Blanco has zero alcohol burn, and is on the sweeter side of sipping tequilas. The Reposado was fine, but I’m not much of a fan of Reposados for sipping. The Anejo is very special, just the top of its class. It should be at a retail of $500. The Ultra Anejo is aged 5 years in Sherry casks and is unbelievable viscous and silky, a real pleasure to drink. This also should be, at a retail of $1800. For the big tequila fans here, definitely seek these out. They are very special products.

Nolan,

the Clase Azul Ultra Anejo has been around the states for at least two years. Several friends and I split a bottle (sourced from Costco of all places) to see what it was like. Best tequila I’ve ever had.

It’s new to Texas, I should have said. The owner and salesman said this was their first pitch in the state.

Disclaimer: I currently sell the Blanco and Reposado. Not sure I will stock the others at the price they’re suggesting, but I thought I’d at least mention how awesome I thought the tequilas are.

Great stuff, folks - thanks!! My daughter is a Tequila fan, typically drinking it on ice and with limes . . . or just out of a shot glass. I will seek out some of these bottles.