I Told My Wife I am NOT in the Minority, Now I Wonder.

I think a firm yolk is tasteless. chalky.

Runny yolks are yummy.

Over medium, white has to be cooked but runny yolk is fine to slather on my pancakes or dunk my peanut butter slathered toast.

I love eggs Benedict.
I love hard boiled eggs and hard boiled eggs in pickled beet juice.

BUT

Eggs don’t belong on hamburgers, just the bacon.

En meurette, poached in red Burgundy! Which means soft.
Don’t know why that dish is so little known over here.

PS - how can ayone hold anything down if the watch Rachael Ray??

One of the great treats of my childhood was when my father made bacon and then I got the first eggs fried in the bacon fat. My, my, my. Good stuff. Crispy & runny.

one of the cooking shows came up with this procedure for soft boiled ( ie cooked whites, warm runny yolk):

1/2 inch boiling water (claim is that steam cooks more uniformly than boiling water, and recovers faster than boiling water when cold eggs are placed in, so cooking time is linear and repeatable)
place up to 6 cold eggs in and cover. must be cold eggs.
time for 6 minutes and 30 seconds.

I had better results at 6:50…6:30 had a touch of clear left, otherwise a perfect egg, using egglands large organics. Cooking the whites is easy…cooking the whites and warming up (but not cooking) the yolk is the tough part.

Totally agree. That’s why we save all our bacon fat when frying bacon.

+1

There was a bowl of bacon grease on the back of the stove during my childhood.

Another vote for runny yolk. Although, I don’t mind sliced hard-boiled eggs on salads. And I like deviled eggs, which requires hard-boiling.

As a child we seemed to alternate between bacon and linguica or chourico. Tough choice for me.

I hesitate to ask, but is it possible he was trying to kill you?

Runny, since I’m allergic to the whites it’s the only part I can eat anyway.

+1 [thankyou.gif]

Man, even my ten year old son knows to eat eggs with runny yolks.

BTW, if you want hard boiled eggs without chalky yolks, the Chez Panisse recipe is to boil for 8 minutes and then put in ice water. It gives a soft but not runny bright yellow yolk. You can just increase or decrease the time as you like for firmer or softer.

My default for extra large to jumbo eggs is 9 minutes for a bright orange but firm yolk. When I feel like runny, soft boiled egg, I do the vogue 6-7 minute egg. I put the eggs in the water only after it starts boiling.

I know some people’s recipes have the eggs in then pan when the water is cold, but depending on burner strength, and amount of water, the amount of cooking the eggs get will vary each time.

This

Yes, my number is putting the eggs in boiling water. I don’t know how you could cook them reliably starting in cold water.

My 3 year old girl demands runny yolk. She quickly learned to mop it up with a buttered piece of toast. Nurture > nature.

Love runny eggs. However, an egg, runny or not is just too rich for me. Besides, I like to taste the meat in the hamburger, so the egg is just a distraction.

Another vote for white cooked and yolk runny as possible.