San Francisco Offline 7/17? UPDATED, PLEASE READ

UPDATE: There is now a brunch and a dinner. Please pick one. I’m keeping the official dinner list here, and Ed Kurtzman is managing the brunch reservations.

As covered in a Wine Talk thread, LMD Ermitaño is visiting San Francisco and there are more than a few of us who dream of sharing a table and some wine with him.

Confirmed plans:
7/17 @ Cafe Claude @ 5:30 PM for 8 people.

Attendees (8):
Ashish
LMD Ermitaño
Craig Gleason
Ed Chin
Alan Rath
Linda Baehr
Vamsi Kaipa
Shawnda Hansen

Brunch (PLEASE CONFIRM WITH ED KURTZMAN! I’m not managing this.)- 7
Joel Galang
Glenn Levine + Mel
Pmenkes
Ed Kurtzman
LMD Ermitaño
Ashish

I am interested!

Regrettably [not really :slight_smile: ], I will be on the RR for a week so I can’t make it.

You can use this site though to find a location:
http://www.sanfranciscocorkagefees.com/

Don’t use the top 10. Just search for places you are interested in and it will give you the low down on corkage for those places.

I would be able to do Saturday but not Sunday.

Mel & I will attend either evening. If Sunday here is a plea to begin early.

Everyone please contribute suggestions for restaurants as well or I won’t know where to call to make a reservation!

The effort and sentiment are greatly appreciated, Ashish. Thank you. I am not available on the 18th though as that is the day I head back home. Even if I switch to a late flight, I’d rather not have to cut the dinner short to make it. The 15th, 16th or 17th should be fine.

I have a very good friend who has lived in SF for over 20 years and who may be able to help in arranging something that will suit our purposes. I’ll ask her about that.

Looking forward to meeting you and the others,

N

Count me in right now. I was just informed that this weekend is potty training bootcamp weekend for our family. (2 yo twin girls) Maybe I can shake away when they go to bed and arrive just after appeteasers!!

-D. Smig

Thanks, Gene, this is very helpful. Of those listed in the Nob Hill area, Café Claude looks quite BYOB-friendly and more my style for casual/relaxed dining. Le Club too, but I’ve read in a recent review that it has closed its doors. That said, Fleur De Lys and Masa’s also look good.

I’ve been to Harris’ Steakhouse. It was ok, but feel no compulsion to return. I remember The House on Grant Street allowed me to bring a couple of bottles when I was there a few years ago. I recall the corkage being very reasonable (around $15/bottle) and the food quite nice. Crowded, rather cramped and the neighborhood looked a bit dodgy at night, but it was pretty good on the whole.

Best,

N

Good luck with that. My twin girls went through that 5 years ago.

I would very much like to attend, but I have to ask what kind of expectation(s) might you have of an attendee. The reason I ask is because being a newbie to wine and have very limited knowledge and would hate to offend anyone. Please be honest.
As a side, depending on how many can attend would a private room work best? That way it might be easier to hear one another. Two places might work though I have no knowledge as to their corkage policy, but do have private rooms are A16 and Spruce. My $0.02

Hi all,
I’m updating the first post with attendees and restaurant suggestions, so please review that. I’ve called Cafe Claude (very accommodating) and Perbacco (expensive corkage after the first two bottles). I stopped there because Cafe Claude seems very nice, but I’m more than willing to try other places if people want. The only possible issue is that Cafe Claude seems like a small place and may not be an option if we get to be a large group.

I don’t necessarily want to speak for the whole group, but I can give you my perspective.

After reading Noel’s posts here, I’m going to be breaking into my cellar and picking something special for the night. I understand that not everyone has the cellar or the resources to bring an expensive bottle and I don’t expect that, but I do expect them to bring something that they enjoy because it’s a region that they find interesting or a style that they like. Basically, don’t bring a $15 bottle that you can buy at Safeway. If your cellar is new, take a trip to K&L and ask one of the salespeople to help you find something interesting and special in a price range that works for you. They have a lot of interesting bottles (especially whites, aged rieslings, etc) in stock in the $30-50 range.

As for dinner, I imagine that corkage + appetizer + main dish + tax/tip will add up to at least $60/person, perhaps up to $100 depending on where we go.

If you feel like that’s a price range that’s reasonable, then you should come and don’t worry about offending anyone with your wine choice. Offlines are for learning and sharing.

Why not make it a long Sunday wine lunch then? That sounds good to me. Dinner is also fine though. I’m easy.

Best,

N

Is there a secret handshake? If not, can I go? I think I’m available on the 16th or 17th.

I agree with all that Ashish has said.

I care much, much more about the company during a meal. There is, of course, no obligation to bring an expensive bottle. Bring whatever you really like, and, if others like it, then good; but if they don’t, well, that’s wine. Everyone has their own preferences.

Rest assured that I would be the last person to attend a lunch or dinner where the bottle one brings matters as much as or more than the people in attendance.

Best,

N

My only concern, after reading about your phenomenal wine lunches, is that the restaurant may close before we are done… some places like to have a bit of time after lunch and before dinner to gather their bearings and set up for the next meal.

True, true. That is a very valid concern. They tolerate our long lunches here in Manila mainly because, I believe, the owners of the restaurants we frequent are friends of ours.

Dinner is absolutely fine with me.

Best,

N

Ashish and Luis thank you for your courteous and honest reply. I hope I am available to attend. Ashish if you are taking the lead in securing a restaurant and need help please ask.

Is that a yes or are you still a maybe?