Your Top German Riesling Vintages ?

Love all the discussion and info, thank you to all for participating and contributing.

Iā€™m still figuring everything out and donā€™t have nearly as much experience as most on this board, but my favorites, in approximate order, are something like; 2005, 2015, and then itā€™s a toss up between 2007 and 2001 depending on my mood. I havenā€™t had enough Rieslings in pre-2001 vintages to have much of an opinion on those.

I have a slightly different but relevant question. If you had a chance to buy any bottle from your favorite German producer direct from the domain at release price - is there any vintage post 2001 you would pass on?

1. Feel like Iā€™m already long the vintage and might not love it. Iā€™ve got enough.

Biased and blessed. [wink.gif]

[winner.gif]

champagne.gif

I have to disagree with you on 2001ā€™s being still a little too young. The 2001 JJ Prum WS Auslese has been drinking superbly for at least 3 years, and I have drunk about 6 bottles from different cases sourced in the UK. Tonight I drank a Bollig Lehnert Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese *** that opened up so well over 1 hour. I have drunk 3 of these in the past 18 months.

German Riesling is such a distinctive animal ā€“ almost as much as Burgundy dependent on the grower

the last Perfect wine i tasted was the 2002 Kiedricher Sandgrube SpƤtlese from Weingut R Weil ā€“
ā€“ i had showed up for an appt along w/ old pal Schildknecht,
had the whole show laid out and Welcome! before us
the reason i know the SpƤtlese was perfect,
was because i could still taste it
after tasting the Auslese, the Beerenauslese, the Trockenbeerenauslese and the Eiswein

You have always liked the wines a little younger than I do. Thatā€™s OK!

So you would turn down 2018 G-Max at $500? Not sure who you favorite producer is.

Given the ability to pick any bottle, I think I could find a way to get by with Dƶnnhoff.

Honestly I donā€™t think I would pass on any of them. I havenā€™t tasted them all so from my point of view I would love to gain some more knowledge and perspective. I know that wasnā€™t the point of the question, but that is how I thought about it.

That was my point. There is not a single vintage since 2001 that I would pass up trying a well stored bottle from my favorite producers.

1 Like

Too hypothetical? Is only that one vintage being offered?

I can name at least vintages in MSR for Pradikat wines with letā€™s say discernible RS (so broadly distinguishing from trocken) I might pass based on personal taste: 2005, 2006, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2018. I didnā€™t put 2003 because of my curiousity based on reports and that I have literally zero in the cellar. And I may have misjudged 2016 young, which I almost put on the list, because a lot of them showed a lot of baby fat, leading me to be skeptical and buy sparingly.

If I were considering dry wines, I admit I donā€™t have the experience to make that call in advance. And if K-P offered me Abtserde at ex-cellar price of any vintage, Iā€™m not going to say no.

Yeah, but at this point I only own zilliken and prum and not much of either.

If limiting to the past 20 i will agree. Also like 2008s.

Thereā€™s lots of 2018 Keller schubertslay kabi and auction pettenthal available at the clearing price that Iā€™m not buying.
A

Has anyone had any Rieslings fromā€¦ 1966? I recently picked up a bottle of 1966 Peter Nicolay Ɯrziger WĆ¼rzgarten Riesling Goldwingert TBA because Iā€™ve never had a Riesling this old and few older than 1990, and the bottle was cheap (so Iā€™m not expecting much). Any insights on the vintage or how this TBA miiiight be holding up (or not) would be appreciated.

I think I confused myself :crazy_face:. I totally agree Robert. I wouldnā€™t pass on a single one.

1 Like