Your Recent Value Wine Recommendations

Like the title says! I blew the wine budget and am looking for some recommendations for great bottles under say $30. Anything goes!

RED: Tikal Patriota, Luca Syrah, Substance Cab, Guigal Crozes, Novelty Hill Cab, Maison L’Envoye Fleurie and Morgon Cote du Py, Elio Grasso Gavarini, Produttori Langhe, d’Arenberg Magpie and Derelict Grenache, Vasse Felix Cab, Penley Cab, Raats Cab Franc, Felsina CCR, Canalicchio and Solaria RdM, Lanessan, Bolaire, Mongravey, Teyssier, Lafleur Morange Mathilde.

…work on whites in a bit, but would start with Louis Michel AOC Chablis and Clos des Lunes Bordeaux Blanc.

4 Likes

Good stuff thanks

1 Like

Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva
Goodfellow WV Pinot
Raventos i Blanc de Nit Rosado (sparkling)

1 Like

One of my own Raventós i Blanc “Blanc de Blancs” steal at $20

2 Likes

If you want to kick it up a notch, Empirewine carries the de la finca at $26/btl

2 Likes

Some repeats of Kris and Max, but I like:
Pepiere Briords
Pepiere Thebaud
Calabretta Cala Cala
Produttori Langhe Nebbiolo
Fratelli Alessandria Langhe Nebbiolo
Cavallotto Dolcetto
Monsanto CCR
Castellare CC
Castell’in Villa CC
E. Grasso Langhe Nebbiolo
Ca’ Nova Langhe Nebbiolo
Vietti Perbacco
Giulia Negri Langhe Nebbiolo
Cantalupo Agamium
Vallana Spanna
Vallana Campi Raudii
Vallana Boca
Vajra Rosso
Vajra Nebbiolo Langhe
Vajra Barolo Albe
Gulfi Nerojbleo
Occhipinti SP68
Tornatore Etna Bianco
Mullineux Kloof Street
Lopez de Heredia Cubillo
La Rioja Alta Alberdi
Badenhorst Curator white
Brokenwood Semillon
Tyrell’s Semillon
Ragnaie RdM
Tiberio Cerasuolo
Paltrieneri Radice
Pradeaux Rose
Cantalupo Il Mimo rose
Nervi-Conterno Rose
Guion Bourgeiul
Baudry Chinon Domaine, Granges, Grezeaux
Thivin CdB and Reverdon
Lapierre Raisins Gaulois
Faury Syrah
Julien Cecillon Syrah
Charvin CdR
Beaucastel Coudoulet
Jean Claude Marsanne Syrah Mauves
Samuel Billaud Chablis
Chablisienne Chablis
Droin Chablis
Robert-Denogent Macon Villages les Sardines
Donnhoff Estate Riesling
Max Fed Richter rieslings
Von Winning Winnings
Kimich Diedesheimer Kabinett
AJ Adam Hofberg Kabinett
Evesham WV PN
Goodfellow PN
Patricia Green
Our Wines PN

5 Likes

Amazing thank you

1 Like

Ooh good call on the Thivin and MF Richter, cant believe I missed those two. Was surprised to see Thivins Brouilly touching $30 at a shop recently, though still available for less.

1 Like

NSO Grenache (by Dusty Nabor)

2 Likes

Lots of great recommendations so far, I would add:

Lanessan
Roilette Tardive
Chiara Condello Predappio
Inama Soave Carbonare

3 Likes

Roilette Cuvee Tardive.

Arguably one of the best wine buys on the planet. Super consistent vintage to vintage. Enjoyable young. Ages effortlessly.

The 2021 vintage is utterly classic.

3 Likes

The most ridiculous bargain we’ve had recently is Filipa Pato Bairrada Dinamica (white), which offers a lot of deliciousness for $13.50 (discounted – usually $18).

Sparkling: Bisson Glera Vino Frizzante Marca Trevigiana IGT, for $17.

Luca mentioned Lanessan. That is one among a slew of Bordeaux bargains. There is lot of high-quality Bordeaux available for less than $30 a bottle, and you will find several threads on this site about that corner of the wine universe. Two notable bargains that I had recently: Joanin Becot 2015 and Clos Manou 2017.

2 Likes

Just had a 2020 Fleur Cardinale which, while outrageously young, gave immense pleasure, especially at the price point of $38.

2 Likes

The spring offering from Desire Lines is tomorrow, and will include their Winds of Change Syrah, which is a killer value.

1 Like

re bargain & Lanessan, just saw some 2021 Lanessan sub 10€ in a french supermarket the other day, but I passed due to the poor vintage

3 Likes

Saint Cosme - Cotes du Rhone. It goes for $16(US) around me and I’d pay twice that probably even more than twice that. I always have one or two on hand. Incredibly reliable and can be found lots of places. Give it a whirl.

2 Likes

Good call. The Charvin CdR is a bit more expensive than that, but still an amazing value.

2 Likes

Filipa’s step up from the ‘Dinamica’ series, the ‘Nossa Calcario’ wines, are bangers for the price. The Nossa Calcario Branco 2022 (100% Bical from very old vines) drank like a white Burg. The Tinto (all Baga) could use some cellar time first, but might be one of the best wines that she makes. Shows what Baga can do.

4 Likes

Exactly right. here are my tasting notes for the two whites:

2021 Filipa Pato Bical Nossa Calcario

10/9/2023 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 93 points (Edit)

At Elemento, Porto, Portugal: This wine was very popular at our table. It’s light-bodied but intense, with moderate acidity, and an intriguing herbal aroma – mostly bay leaf, with perhaps some tarragon and mint. There is a high level of minerality, and a salinity on the aftertaste. It was delightful on its own, and even better with the food.

Comment (193 views)

2021 Filipa Pato Bairrada Dinamica Bical & Arinto

2/3/2024 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 92 points (Edit)

We loved a Filipa Pato white (Nossa) that we drank in Portugal in October, so I recently bought a few more that I found nearby. This one is also terrific – perhaps not as good as the Nossa, but distintinctive and delicious (for not very much money). Huge blast of mineral on the nose, and then it tastes slightly smoky, slightly saline, and again very mineral. Medium weight. Moderate to high acidity. For $13.50, I don’t know what you could find in the U.S. that would be better than this.

2 Likes