Your personal Top10 Bordeaux Left bank

Pretty sure those Cordier bottles were used (by Gruaud, Talbot, Meyney) from 1960 till '77 or '78, I had 59 Talbot in regular bottle, and 79 Gruaud. My '62 & 75s in Cordier bottle.

I can’t believe I left off Palmer

I excluded the late 80s taint years to include Ducru, there is great dirt there

Leoville las Cases
Ducru Beaucaillou
Clemens
Montrose
Palmer
Domaine de Chevalier
Pichon Lalande
Leoville Barton
Rausan Segla
La Mission Haut Brion

Left out first growths (should I have left out Mission Haut Brion on this basis?). If not, certainly Haut Brion and Yquem would be on the list.

Don’t drink that much young Bordeaux anymore so a lot of this is based on mature bottles.

Surprised you did not buy 2014 futures. They were relatively reasonably priced and this is your vintage. Also, 2001 was available at a relatively reasonable price a few years ago.

I’m out of this poll as I like right bank.

I bought a lot of 2014 futures, though. At the same or similar price-point, I would rather own Montrose and Lalande. Conseillante and Figeac were priced similarly as well.

I have a little Ducru and Montrose. My preference is Ducru over any of the four you named.

For me, the steal in 2014 was 1/2s of Climens

I have a ‘78 Meyney in the old style bottle. I’m planning a six bottle/six decade Meyney dinner for next month: 62, 78, 86, 90, 01, 14.

Carmes Haut Brion
La Tour Haut Brion
Cos d’Estournel
Pichon Lalande
Ducru
Talbot
Lanessan

Excluding the first growths, my top 10:

Grand Puy Lacoste
Pichon Lalande
Lynch Bages
Leoville Las Cases
Pontet Canet
Montrose
La Mission Haut Brion
Ducru
Palmer
Gruaud Larose (82 and 86 are personal favorites)

For the firsts, my preference is Haut Brion, Margaux, Mouton, Lafite, Latour

Based on what we have in the cellar, and excluding the Firsts:

Pichon Lalande
Pichon Baron
Domaine de Chavalier
Pontet Canet
Haut Bailly
GPL
Cos
Leoville Barton
Lynch Bages
Ducru

We have been fortunate to have bought most of these several years ago.

Ed

No love for Calon Segur? I came across some 98’s cheap and began backfilling. I, too, think Montrose is finally a more majestic and interesting wine, but I consistently enjoy Calon as well, and think of it as fairly old school, at least in the vintages I’ve tasted.

As for the rest, most have already been mentioned: GPL, GL, Talbot, Lynch Bages, and Comtesse can be found across at least a few vintages in my cellar.

It’s on my list although it’s a relatively recent “discovery” for me compared to the others. I’m now always on the look out for older vintages. [cheers.gif]

Same for me. I also like that Calon Segur survives forever. I opened an 82 a few years ago that was still a massive beast (and a very good wine).

This list is based on wines I’ve collected so it misses lots of great wines that I’ve had relatively few times. It’s also based mostly on wines from 2000 and before, since that’s the majority of Bordeaux that I drink.

Haut Brion
Pichon Lalande
Leoville Las Cases
Pape Clement
Lynch Bages
Gruaud Larose
Leoville Barton
Meyney
Gloria
Pontet Canet

I didn’t notice the OP discriminated against the right bank.

A bit sad that no one has mention Haut Brion blanc. Perhaps the best dry white in the world. Oh well, tells a bit about the marked situation for dry white Bordeaux’ these days.

the right bank got its own separate- but equal- thread.

wait…