Pichon Lalande
Latour
Ducru
Pape Clement
Montrose
Calon Segur
Leoville Poyferre
Gruaud

Thatā€™s primarily based on 1961-2000 vintages, I havenā€™t tasted much post 2005

No order:

1. Gruaud Larose
  2. Ducru
  3. Leoville Barton
  4. Pichon Baron
  5. Pichon Lalande
  6. Pontet Canet
  7. Calon Segur
  8. Haut Brion

After that, a bunch of things I like but donā€™t necessary love. That also generally matches whatā€™s in my cellar, other than the Haut Brion, which ranking is based on the bottles Iā€™ve had (which have all been great, particularly a 1982).

Based purely on bottles in the cellar.

1. Leoville Barton
  2. Calon Segur
  3. Pontet Canet
  4. Leoville Poyferre
  5. Haut Bailly
  6. Grand Puy Lacoste
  7. Latour
  8. Montrose
  9. Lafite
  10. Lagrange

Haut Brion
Margaux
Latour
Mouton
Lafite
Palmer
Leoville Lascases
Montrose
Pichon Lalande
Cos dā€™Estournel

Would love to see everyoneā€™s list without First Growths. I mean really, there is a reason they are and remain, Firsts! I love them, have some, pop some occasionally, but I am not buying or drinking any of them with any regularity. Cost prohibitive except for the rich.

If I had to rank the Firsts, Iā€™m not sure that I could, except Margaux would be my last of the 5. My favorite Firsts ever are the 1982 Mouton and the 1989 Haut Brion. Somewhat obvious choices, but exceptional wines.

In order
Ducru
Palmer
Montrose
Pichon Lalande

Big gap

Pichon Baron
Leoville Las Cases

Another gap

Beychevelle
Gruaud Larose
Dā€™Issan
Giscours

Ducru
Montrose
Pichon Lalande
LLC
Cos Estournel
Mission Haut Brion
+
The first Gs

Excluding FGs

Pichon Lalande
LLC
Montrose
Palmer
Cos
Pichon baron
Ducru
Haut Bailly
Pontet canet
Lynch bages

Please open some of these wonderful wines this week and help us raise money for charity.

My top 10.

Gruaud Larose
Lynch Bages
Cos
Talbot
Pichon Lalande
Phelan Segur
Margaux
Montrose
Pichon Baron
Mouton

Interesting to me that DB is not in every list, especially the ones omitting Firsts.

Thatā€™s the plan, Carlos

I had been debating a list, and ultimately decided it made no sense to do one, as the strictures of the OP do not align with how I drink Bordeaux.

As for DucruB, I donā€™t drink enough of it to have it land on my personal list (which would be led by Leoville Barton or Pichon Baron if I were to actually do one).

Why?

Itā€™s extremely expensive. And for those of us drinking the 1980s and 1990 vintage, perhaps we are tainted by the taint. I cannot believe how many 1986s that I have poured out.

The only vintage of DB that I own is 2010, and thatā€™s only because a local retailer had them at clearance price at half retail. Figured, ā€œwhat the hellā€.

Whatcha gonna pop, counselor?

Iā€™m having dinner with one of my best friends on Saturday, also a local judge, who started with me at my current firm back in 1992. We bonded, started a wine group, and are all still very good friends. Iā€™m gonna go big, but not sure exactly what yet. Heā€™s got a wonderful, classic Bordeaux palate. A true connoseur.

Well, I have a 1964 Talbot that has been standing up for a while . . . . .

Back then Cordier used some funky shaped bottles. Meyney from the 60s used them. Is this one of them? They are cool.

Hmm, perhaps we pop the 1973 Latour.

Yes. Looks almost port-like. Not my bottle (which is ridiculously clean) but this is the shape

19,5/20
Latour 1988
Haut-Brion 1989

19/20
Margaux 1990
Margaux ChĆ¢teau Margaux 2000
St-Julien LĆ©oville-Las-Cases 1990
Margaux Bel Air Marquis dā€™Aligre 1947
Latour 2009
Margaux Palmer 1990
Margaux Bel Air Marquis dā€™Aligre 1961

18,5/19
Mission Haut Brion 1989
Mission-Haut-Brion 1990
Margaux ChĆ¢teau Margaux 1996

I would buy Ducru over Mouton and Margaux most years, and over Lafite half the time. From the early 1990s it has been excellent, and since 2005, the most consistent of the super seconds. Basically first growth quality quality at 30% of the price, so for me, a bargain