Your latest supermarket clearance finds

One of the supermarket mega chains in my neighbor has a fairly decent wine selection. The majority of the wine is still large distributor stuff, but there are some decent local and somewhat surprising finds on the shelves. These wines occasionally fail to sell, and end up on the clearance rack in the back.

My latest find: a quartet of 2017 Vincent Girardin 1er cru Volnay les santenots for $40 a bottle.

Curious to see what others are finding.

2 Likes

Yellowtail? What kind of supermarkets do you have?

The grocery store I used to go to in ww had like blantons and piper rare

I bought 2008 Cristal for $180/b from my local Ralph’s (Kroger) grocery store. 3+ years ago. I knew the wine and spirits manager, and she arranged for the distributor to deliver directly to the store. The case boxes were unopened and the wine was never on display.

Good price, although not much will be as good as the vino volo deal on 08 and 09 Cristal

Just a normal Vons/Safeway. I find that this chain carries better wine than Ralph’s/Kroger. Wholefoods occasionally has some decent stuff, but in terms of overall selection, nothing is better than Bristol Farms.

Nice find! That’s a very nice wine, at a really bargain price. Interesting it turned up in a supermarket, there aren’t that many retailers who carry it.

Not wine, but I got 8 bottles of Green Chartreuse for $10 a piece from. Jewel close out about 5 years ago

2 Likes

Almost wine.
Big jug of white vinegar, $1.98 at Walmart.

1 Like

A new Whole Foods opened up in town and for whatever reason, I don’t know if it’s staff error or what, but they have some very good prices. The best recent finds were 6x 2021 Ridge Lytton Springs for $33 a bottle, and 4x 2018 Robert Sinskey Carneros Pinots for like $16 each. Meanwhile they have the Gobelsburg Kamptal Gruner
on the shelf for $55 a bottle for some reason? No clue what’s going on.

1 Like

No idea at all why they were closing it out, but a while back, found 2017 Les Pallieres Terasse du Diable, $17/btl out the door with 6 bottle purchase at a regional grocery chain.
Grocery Outlet had loads of York Creek and Rock Wall at steep discounts after those wineries closed (discussed in threads here previously).

Always lots of wackiness with supermarket prices…

I’ve gotten Geyserville at WF for under $30 / bottle a few times, and Blantons for $60.

6 bottles of 2005 Heitz Martha’s for $120 out of the temperature controlled case

3 Likes